The impossible story of the 'flood'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2011, 06:06 AM
The impossible story of the 'flood'
I just came up with a little research project for me.

The only way the tallest mountains could be covered as indicated in the bible, is that the oceans were 30000 feet deeper than they are now. Here is a rough scientific calculation of the existing water on earth. It is in no way exact, but is about as close as anyone can get and it will give us a good idea.

The total water supply of the world is 326 million cubic miles (a cubic mile is an imaginary cube (a square box) measuring one mile on each side). A cubic mile of water equals more than one trillion gallons.

About 3,100 cubic miles of water, mostly in the form of water vapor, is in the atmosphere at any one time. If it all fell as precipitation at once, the Earth would be covered with only about 1 inch of water.

Reference this site to see where I came up with that info.

ga.water.usgs.gov...

Genesis 7:19 outlines that it covered all of the mountains. Mt Everest is 29,028 feet in height. The bible says it rained for 40 days, but later it says 150 days. I'll use the first one.

The amount of water required to grow to a height of 29,000 feet in 40 days is around 360 inches an hour. 348,336 inches of rain in 40 days. I won't get into the fact that large raindrops break apart, and the sheer amount of rain would cause a rise in temperature due to friction, enough to melt most metals.

(362.85 * 24) * 40 = 348,336 inches. The rainiest place on earth gets 200 inches a year.

Now. In order to justify how much water this is

Formula for sphere volume: ((4/3) * PI * (Radius^3) = 6379) = 1.0 x 10^12 cubic kilometers), which is 621371192237 cubic miles.

1,103,984,640,000 gallons of water exist in a 1 cubic mile.

(1,103,984,640,000 * 621371192237) = 6.85984252 × 10^ 23 gallons of water needed to cover up to mount Everest. 10^23 is 100 sextillion gallons of water.

The average person consumes 1 gallon of water a day (intake from water and foods). If you were to drink 1 gallon of water a day, it would take

((10^23) / 1) * 30 * 12 = 3.6 × 10^25 years to drink all of the water that Noah's Flood placed on earth. (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2011, 06:48 AM
RE: The impossible story of the 'flood'
You could have made a simpler argument about why it is wrong...two of every animal, 600 year old man building a boat the size of a football field, plants, marine and freshwater animals not on the ark, fossils...etc....etc. No need to whip out the calculator unless absolutely necessary. Smile

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
20-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I didn't get to that yet.. I could though Smile
20-04-2011, 08:26 AM
The best suggestion to me would be to look up the information of creationists stating it was a regional flood. The words of Christian literalists might make up some weight in the argument. The issue with arguing numbers is that people's brains shut off when things get too complex. They won't really pay attention to the research. You also have to combat the fact that miracle is one of those words that means defies everything. As long as people call it a miracle then no amount of logic can crack that shell.

The fact that it's impossible proves god to them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
20-04-2011, 10:23 AM
All the research you need.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-04-2011, 02:34 PM
(20-04-2011 10:23 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  All the research you need.

Thanks for the videos, I watched the first one but not the other 2 (yet) Smile

I might calculate how hot the earth would be because of 300 inches an hour of rain. My rough figures is that the entire planet would be at 1300C, which is hotter than lava from a volcano.

I won't take into the fact that the earths gravity would be altered and so would the rotation of the earth due to the wobble of earths axis due to tidal forces. I won't get into the fact that if water was 29,028 feet high, all the animals on Noah's Ark would die from oxygen asphyxiation.
20-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Bear in mind, that when the jewish people wrote down the story of Noah's Ark, the tallest mountain they knew would have been more like 30 feet, not 30,000. To them, the world (flat, as it were) did flood entirely.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
20-04-2011, 11:29 PM
What is notable is that none of the other societies living at the time of Noah wrote about the flood. I guess that 30,000 feet of water wasn't enough to warrant their attention.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.