The indigenous people of North America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 03:05 PM
The indigenous people of North America
Are the indigenous people of North America really offended by sports mascots? I don't hear Scandinavian people complaining about the Minnesota Vikings; why is there such a stink about the Atlanta Braves, or the Washington Redskins?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: The indigenous people of North America
The PC brigade is getting worse. I just cannot see anything offensieve about such names.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
24-01-2014, 04:27 PM
(24-01-2014 03:24 PM)Marozz Wrote:  The PC brigade is getting worse. I just cannot see anything offensieve about such names.

I have no problem with Braves as a team name (although I think their fans' "tomahawk chop" is both offensive and stupid), but Redskins? You really don't think that's offensive? What if were the Washington Blackskins (or Yellowskins)? Do you think that would be tolerated? I don't get all worked up over it, and I think there are more important things to worry about, but when you think about it, it is offensive.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-01-2014, 04:33 PM
(24-01-2014 03:24 PM)Marozz Wrote:  The PC brigade is getting worse. I just cannot see anything offensieve about such names.

It's not the PC brigade, it's the native peoples themselves objecting to them as offensive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-01-2014, 04:37 PM
I doubt that.

Since I believe they have other things to worry about.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
24-01-2014, 04:39 PM
(24-01-2014 04:37 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I doubt that.

You doubt what? Your response lacks any context.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 04:47 PM
(24-01-2014 04:37 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I doubt that.

They do have other (more important) things to worry about, but they are also offended, and legitimately so, by team names like Redskins. It is possible to be worried about more than one thing at a time.
24-01-2014, 04:48 PM
I have no problem with Braves as a team name (although I think their fans' "tomahawk chop" is both offensive and stupid), but Redskins? You really don't think that's offensive? What if were the Washington Blackskins (or Yellowskins)? Do you think that would be tolerated? I don't get all worked up over it, and I think there are more important things to worry about, but when you think about it, it is offensive.
[/quote]
Like you say there are more important things in life. I don't live in the US so I'm not really up to date on the issue, but I don't find Redskins as a name offensive. But if people are offended and want to make an issue of it, change it.. .. Whiteskins, Foreskins.... who cares.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
24-01-2014, 05:06 PM
It seems ridiculous to me that someone can't see why "Vikings" isn't offensive, but "Redskins" is.

In fact I think the OP does see the difference and is choosing to act oblivious. I can think of a couple reasons (the desire to justify ones own prejudice, the enjoyment some people get out of being an anonymous asshole on the internet, etc.), though I'm sure there's some sort of wonderful justification coming.

Whatever the case may be, is it really a big deal to change it if it upsets someone? Especially if it's a racial slur like "redskins"??

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-01-2014, 05:18 PM
I might have an incomplete picture of the situation on the American continent.

But from what I read in papers here, the main concerns of the native Americans is poverty and alcoholism resulting out of racial discrimination and former segregation.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post