The internet world says this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 05:34 PM
The internet world says this
Hello all, I have found a problem, most of the internet says I am wrong about the problem although I have provided maths that they said was correct, but was unrelated although I clearly had shown the relationship.

Take 5 coins, toss each coin and place the coin on a table or counter, result side up.

They insist that if we were to then hide the 5 results and asked another party to pick one of the 5 results, that they would have a 1/2 chance of heads.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 05:51 PM
RE: The internet world says this
You on drugs, son?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 6 users Like Slowminded's post
10-12-2015, 06:00 PM
(10-12-2015 05:34 PM)Theorist Wrote:  Hello all, I have found a problem, most of the internet says I am wrong about the problem although I have provided maths that they said was correct, but was unrelated although I clearly had shown the relationship.

Take 5 coins, toss each coin and place the coin on a table or counter, result side up.

They insist that if we were to then hide the 5 results and asked another party to pick one of the 5 results, that they would have a 1/2 chance of heads.

What do you think the chances are? What math is correct but unrelated?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight on this one, but it seems to me if you did that experiment over and over again, they would get heads half the time and tails half the time. Don't quote me on that though.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
10-12-2015, 06:04 PM
(10-12-2015 06:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 05:34 PM)Theorist Wrote:  Hello all, I have found a problem, most of the internet says I am wrong about the problem although I have provided maths that they said was correct, but was unrelated although I clearly had shown the relationship.

What do you think the chances are? What math is correct but unrelated?
I think the chance would be ?/5 and the related maths is more to the actual point, the example with the coin is not the proper point but shows it.
10-12-2015, 06:10 PM
(10-12-2015 06:03 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight on this one, but it seems to me if you did that experiment over and over again, they would get heads half the time and tails half the time. Don't quote me on that though.

if all 5 results are heads how can you get tails or 1/2?
10-12-2015, 06:16 PM
(10-12-2015 06:10 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:03 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight on this one, but it seems to me if you did that experiment over and over again, they would get heads half the time and tails half the time. Don't quote me on that though.

I meant if you did the whole experiment repeatedly, it would end up around half.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
10-12-2015, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 09:35 AM by DLJ.)
(10-12-2015 06:10 PM)Theorist Wrote:  

Because it's just as likely that all are tails.

Bell curve?

10-12-2015, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 06:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
Each coin toss is independent of all of the others. It's always 1/2 heads and 1/2 tails for any given toss even if you flipped it a million times.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-12-2015, 06:18 PM

This smells of a gotcha question.
Ask a confusing, badly worded question.
Atheist answers incorrectly.
Therefore god exists.
Facepalm
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post