The internet world says this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: The internet world says this
(10-12-2015 08:02 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 07:58 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  Except the chooser doesn't know anything. Yeah you could sit there covering the coins that are all heads, and say I know 100% he'll choose a head. That's great.

The chooser knows there is not likely to be one heads or just 1 tails in the boxes and knows there is 5 boxes, they know their odds is not 1/2 it is picking 1 of 5 , that could have the odds 5/5 or 0/5 to be heads.

For this to be true, there would need to be three more possible outcomes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2015, 08:05 PM
The odds are out 1/2, not anything/5. You are seriously thinking about this wrong. It has nothing to do with the other coins.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
(10-12-2015 07:58 PM)Theorist Wrote:  I was hoping this forum was going to be different and people actually used their own brains a bit instead of considering what we already know. I guess not, everybody is saying wrong based on the present information, this is new information no one is considering logically.

You may want to consider that you have been unable to ask your question in a way that makes sense.

Flip 5 coins and hide the result.
question 1: what are the odds that flip #3 was heads?
question 2: what are the odds that there is at least 1 head?
question 3: what are the odds that there is exactly 1 head?

Question #1 is what you asked, at least as far as I can decipher it. I suspect you wanted to ask something more like one of the others.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
(10-12-2015 08:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:02 PM)Theorist Wrote:  The chooser knows there is not likely to be one heads or just 1 tails in the boxes and knows there is 5 boxes, they know their odds is not 1/2 it is picking 1 of 5 , that could have the odds 5/5 or 0/5 to be heads.

For this to be true, there would need to be three more possible outcomes.
There is 3 more boxes , that is 3 possible more outcomes,
10-12-2015, 08:07 PM
(10-12-2015 08:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 07:58 PM)Theorist Wrote:  I was hoping this forum was going to be different and people actually used their own brains a bit instead of considering what we already know. I guess not, everybody is saying wrong based on the present information, this is new information no one is considering logically.

You may want to consider that you have been unable to ask your question in a way that makes sense.

Flip 5 coins and hide the result.
question 1: what are the odds that flip #3 was heads?
question 2: what are the odds that there is at least 1 head?
question 3: what are the odds that there is exactly 1 head?

Question #1 is what you asked, at least as far as I can decipher it. I suspect you wanted to ask something more like one of the others.
All of the above is associated with the question except question 1. I have not asked

Most of you are giving the answer to question one which I have not asked.
10-12-2015, 08:08 PM
(10-12-2015 08:05 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  For this to be true, there would need to be three more possible outcomes.
There is 3 more boxes , that is 3 possible more outcomes,

Number of choices 1. Number of sides on a coin 2.
10-12-2015, 08:10 PM
How bout you write a computer simulation for this and run it 10000 times, then come back with results supporting your idea. Then you can say we're ignorant.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
10-12-2015, 08:11 PM
(10-12-2015 08:08 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:05 PM)Theorist Wrote:  There is 3 more boxes , that is 3 possible more outcomes,

Number of choices 1. Number of sides on a coin 2.

NNNNN

number of choice 5

number of one side heads or tails of the coins in the results undetermined
10-12-2015, 08:12 PM
(10-12-2015 08:10 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  How bout you write a computer simulation for this and run it 10000 times, then come back with results supporting your idea. Then you can say we're ignorant.

A computer simulation using just 1 and 2? surely you are all smart enough to understand maths using only 2 values.

I think I'm being trolled for sure.
10-12-2015, 08:12 PM
(10-12-2015 08:07 PM)Theorist Wrote:  Most of you are giving the answer to question one which I have not asked.

Except that it is what I got from what you wrote and apparently I was not alone. When so many people misunderstand what you are asking the fault just might be in the way you asked it. I said from the start that you were not clear.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP