The internet world says this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: The internet world says this
(11-12-2015 03:27 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I agree with the op. The coins have been flipped so there is a result.that means the chance to pick the result of a new dice isn't 1/2 anymore. You'd have to know the result of the flips to know the chance of being right. If the choice was made before the coin flips the probability would be 1/2.

But let's say it turned out:

H T H H T. Then the probability of picking heads would be 3/2.

At last someone who can think and understand a question. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 08:31 AM
(10-12-2015 06:10 PM)Theorist Wrote:  if all 5 results are heads how can you get tails or 1/2?
I'm sorry, OP, but it sounds like you don't have the first clue about probability theory. The Law of Large Numbers exists for a reason.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
11-12-2015, 08:36 AM
(11-12-2015 08:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:10 PM)Theorist Wrote:  if all 5 results are heads how can you get tails or 1/2?
I'm sorry, OP, but it sounds like you don't have the first clue about probability theory. The Law of Large Numbers exists for a reason.

Again you are not thinking about the problem and only resorting to present information. I ask you to forget present information for a while and even if you just pretend I am right consider the actual problem.

NNNNNN

We will use dice results,

Pick one, what is your chance of number 4?

I am not asking the chance of rolling a dice and rolling a 4. What is your chance of picking from the results.
11-12-2015, 08:38 AM
(11-12-2015 08:05 AM)Theorist Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 04:34 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I understand what OP is trying to say. Your chances of picking heads depends on how many heads came in 5 flips. If head comes all 5 times, then your chances of picking heads is 100% , if it came all tails, your chances are 0%. If it came H T T T T, your chances are 20% and so on...

But that is completely irrelevant to any kind of math problem. You can`t calculate the odds if you take known results into the calculation.

That`s like saying "If I know that Barcelona won the Champions league, what are the odds of me guessing that Barcelona is going to win the Champions league "

Point is, for any number of flips there is 50% chance that any flip is going to result in heads. If you flip the coin 5 times there will be 2.5 heads on average in that sample ( it doesn`t matter mathematically that OP chose the odd number of flips to confuse things ).
So, in any sample of 5 flips , there will be 2.5 heads on average. Therefore 2.5/5, still 50% Drinking Beverage

You are wrong it doesn't matter if I don't tell you or know the results.

NNNNN

The information we know is that we can work out the chance of 1 heads, 2 heads, etc, which is not 1/2

Except this is not the question that you originally asked. The fact that Nishi managed to decipher your incoherent question earns him a Bambi, doesn`t make your question less stupid.

What you are saying is so simple and so obvious that nobody thought that this is what you have problems with.
It must be clear to a third grader that if you flip 5 heads then there is a 100% chance that you will pick heads from that set of coins, and if you flip 3 heads and 2 tails that there is 60% chance that you will pick heads.
But what the fuck is the point ? That has nothing to do with odds or probability.
That piece of information is unusable.

Situation here is that people gave more credit to your "math problem" then it deserves. It belongs in "Math for slightly mentally impaired" section and you are kidding yourself that you discovered something of significance in the world of math.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
(11-12-2015 08:36 AM)Theorist Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 08:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm sorry, OP, but it sounds like you don't have the first clue about probability theory. The Law of Large Numbers exists for a reason.

Again you are not thinking about the problem and only resorting to present information. I ask you to forget present information for a while and even if you just pretend I am right consider the actual problem.

NNNNNN

I am not asking the chance of rolling a dice and rolling a 4.

Are the dice loaded?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
(11-12-2015 08:06 AM)Theorist Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 03:27 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I agree with the op. The coins have been flipped so there is a result.that means the chance to pick the result of a new dice isn't 1/2 anymore. You'd have to know the result of the flips to know the chance of being right. If the choice was made before the coin flips the probability would be 1/2.

But let's say it turned out:

H T H H T. Then the probability of picking heads would be 3/2.

At last someone who can think and understand a question. Thank you.

No, that wasn't your question, at all. You said to turn over one and name the chances on that one.
11-12-2015, 08:40 AM
(11-12-2015 08:36 AM)Theorist Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 08:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm sorry, OP, but it sounds like you don't have the first clue about probability theory. The Law of Large Numbers exists for a reason.

NNNNNN

I am not asking the chance of rolling a dice and rolling a 4. What is your chance of picking from the results.

Pick one what? Your nose?
11-12-2015, 08:44 AM
(11-12-2015 08:38 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 08:05 AM)Theorist Wrote:  You are wrong it doesn't matter if I don't tell you or know the results.

NNNNN

The information we know is that we can work out the chance of 1 heads, 2 heads, etc, which is not 1/2

Except this is not the question that you originally asked. The fact that Nishi managed to decipher your incoherent question earns him a Bambi, doesn`t make your question less stupid.

What you are saying is so simple and so obvious that nobody thought that this is what you have problems with.
It must be clear to a third grader that if you flip 5 heads then there is a 100% chance that you will pick heads from that set of coins, and if you flip 3 heads and 2 tails that there is 60% chance that you will pick heads.
But what the fuck is the point ? That has nothing to do with odds or probability.
That piece of information is unusable.

Situation here is that people gave more credit to your "math problem" then it deserves. It belongs in "Math for slightly mentally impaired" section and you are kidding yourself that you discovered something of significance in the world of math.

This is the basic of the problem, I do not know if you would understand probability wave function, golden constants, probability time dilation, and all sorts of quantum weirdness. And this very simple thing that you just agreed with , the internet has denied even closing my posts and banning me.
11-12-2015, 08:44 AM
(11-12-2015 08:36 AM)Theorist Wrote:  Again you are not thinking about the problem and only resorting to present information. I ask you to forget present information for a while and even if you just pretend I am right consider the actual problem.

NNNNNN

I am not asking the chance of rolling a dice and rolling a 4.
You would understand why your questions are nonsensical if you had learned the basics of probability theory in school at some point. You can't calculate the probabilities of an individual draw when the variables (e.g. the results) are unknown. Facepalm

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post