The internet world says this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: The internet world says this
(10-12-2015 06:44 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You are not being clear at all but if the someone is being asked to pick one of 5 independent events then the chances are 1/2 that it is heads. The other 4 do not change the odds that any given coin flip is heads or tails.

You are being asked to pick one of 5 independent results.

0.15625 15.6% chance that the 5 cards contain exactly one heads or one tails.

Cards? Are you drinking?

You are confused to say the least.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
(10-12-2015 06:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  That's not the question you initially asked though.

Yes it is.
10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
(10-12-2015 06:36 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You are not picking from 5 results, coin has only 2 sides. You are picking 1 out of 2 possible results. Thus, your chances are 1/2.

OK?

Your not picking from 5 results? My questions says you are picking from 5 results.

NNNNN

five results pick one, what is your chance of heads from the results?
There can't be 5 results bro. Try to rap your had around the fact that when you flip a coin there is only 2 possible outcomes. Heads or tails.
It doesn't matter if you filliped one coin or five or a million. Guessing the outcome of any individual coin is 1/2 because their is no 3rd, 4th or 5th possible outcome.

Your chances of guessing the head does not depend on how many coins there are, but on how many options you are guessing from. And there are only 2 (two) Heads or tails.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
10-12-2015, 06:51 PM
(10-12-2015 06:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:44 PM)Theorist Wrote:  You are being asked to pick one of 5 independent results.

0.15625 15.6% chance that the 5 cards contain exactly one heads or one tails.

Cards? Are you drinking?

You are confused to say the least.

Remember I am trying to answer quite a few posts, I was not expecting this much traffic, so I am trying to answer everyone a bit hastily. I have edited that before your reply. The actual problem is cards, but it will only get confusing if I mention that before basic understanding is reached of the problem.
10-12-2015, 06:52 PM
[Image: more-stupid-math-jokes.w654.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
10-12-2015, 06:52 PM
(10-12-2015 06:49 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  There can't be 5 results bro. Try to rap your had around the fact that when you flip a coin there is only 2 possible outcomes. Heads or tails.
It doesn't matter if you filliped one coin or five or a million. Guessing the outcome of any individual coin is 1/2 because their is no 3rd, 4th or 5th possible outcome.

Your chances of guessing the head does not depend on how many coins there are, but on how many options you are guessing from. And there are only 2 (two) Heads or tails.

Have you got a coin there? flip it 5 times and write down the results. Post your results.
10-12-2015, 06:53 PM
(10-12-2015 05:34 PM)Theorist Wrote:  Hello all, I have found a problem, most of the internet says I am wrong about the problem although I have provided maths that they said was correct, but was unrelated although I clearly had shown the relationship.

Take 5 coins, toss each coin and place the coin on a table or counter, result side up.

They insist that if we were to then hide the 5 results and asked another party to pick one of the 5 results, that they would have a 1/2 chance of heads.

Yes

10-12-2015, 06:53 PM
(10-12-2015 06:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: more-stupid-math-jokes.w654.jpg]

Only a few can spot paradoxes .
10-12-2015, 06:54 PM
(10-12-2015 06:44 PM)Theorist Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 06:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  You are not being clear at all but if the someone is being asked to pick one of 5 independent events then the chances are 1/2 that it is heads. The other 4 do not change the odds that any given coin flip is heads or tails.

You are being asked to pick one of 5 independent results.

0.15625 15.6% chance that the 5 results contain exactly one heads or one tails.

Again, that wasn't your initial question. I quote
"They insist that if we were to then hide the 5 results and asked another party to pick one of the 5 results, that they would have a 1/2 chance of heads. "

The other party is picking a single coin flip and every individual coin flip has a 1/2 chance of being heads. You said nothing about the mix containing only 1 heads or one tails.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-12-2015, 06:54 PM
(10-12-2015 06:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Yes

No, flip a coin 5 times and post your results of each toss.