The jazz, International and traditional & classical musics thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: The jazz, International and traditional & classical musics thread.
(12-08-2015 02:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  GoGo Penguin - Hopopono. Great young English jazz/RnB trio.

Garden Dog Barbecue Live Session

Fanfares Live Session

I like the Zen World album MrsB. I'll listen to the other recordings tomorrow.
Likewise Banjo, I'll listen to these latest postings when I get back from town.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mrs.B's post
12-08-2015, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 06:16 PM by Banjo.)
Julup, that was a great band. I tried to find information and all I could find was Paquito D'Rivera was part of the project. I'd be interested to know who was in the rhythm section?

I am on a Brasilian kick at the moment (always). I love samba and working in samba groups. Here is the daughter of Astrud Gilberto and João Gilberto.

Bebel Gilberto

The percussion is so subtle in this track I really had to listen carefully to learn it.

Written by Carlinhos Brown. A gorgeous version of Aganju.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
12-08-2015, 06:51 PM
(12-08-2015 06:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Julup, that was a great band. I tried to find information and all I could find was Paquito D'Rivera was part of the project. I'd be interested to know who was in the rhythm section?

I am on a Brasilian kick at the moment (always). I love samba and working in samba groups. Here is the daughter of Astrud Gilberto and João Gilberto.

Bebel Gilberto

The percussion is so subtle in this track I really had to listen carefully to learn it.

Banjo, the composer of the tune is the great Paquito D'Rivera. I believe he originally wrote this for sax quartet, but I like the all-clarinet version better. The group is the Caracas clarinet quartet (Cuarteto de clarinets de caracas), and the percussionist is Horacio Hernandez. I saw the Caracas quartet live once, and on that occasion they had D'Rivera as their guest, and it was amazing.

I love Brazilian music, too.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
12-08-2015, 07:26 PM
You might remember this song from the beginning of My Big Fat Greek Wedding

some sweet jazz from the game, Gunpoint

and of course, you can't have a topic like this without Dave Brubeck Smile

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
12-08-2015, 07:30 PM
(12-08-2015 06:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Julup, that was a great band. I tried to find information and all I could find was Paquito D'Rivera was part of the project. I'd be interested to know who was in the rhythm section?

Bebel Gilberto

Love this one! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-08-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 09:16 PM by Banjo.)
(12-08-2015 02:03 AM)Mrs.B Wrote:  Bei Bei & Shawn Lee................

I loved this album. Very different. I am currently checking out clips on youtube.Smile

Brian Culbertson was nice too. I played along with both albums. Smile

Here's a great band from Costa Rica.

Cantoamerica

(12-08-2015 06:51 PM)julep Wrote:  Banjo, the composer of the tune is the great Paquito D'Rivera. I believe he originally wrote this for sax quartet, but I like the all-clarinet version better. The group is the Caracas clarinet quartet (Cuarteto de clarinets de caracas), and the percussionist is Horacio Hernandez. I saw the Caracas quartet live once, and on that occasion they had D'Rivera as their guest, and it was amazing.

I love Brazilian music, too.

Heracio I've met. Lovely guy, amazing drummer.

I wondered where Paquito was on the album as I listened to that tune. I was like WTH is going on??? Smile

More please. Need more new music. Gimme Gimme Gimme! Wink

Oh and today I get my med pack off for 13 days. And I've been invited to sit in on percussion with a band. I wont take heavy things like congas. Just various shakers, a pandeiro, tambourine, a dah cabasa and the like. Easy to carry one bag load in. I hope I don't suck, it has been so long. Over a year!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
12-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Jazz:

International:

Classical (well, technically baroque and not classical):

Traditional:

[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2015, 02:10 AM
Vishwa, awesome! Loved the tabla. (I always wanted to learn tabla but there just isn't time. I am too old and already play too many drums.)
Wes? Well it goes without saying. (I had that record until I gave my CD collection to Taso, my student.)
Pepe, gorgeous touch. I really like his Fantasia.
Bach, How old is that keyboard?

Thanks Thumpa! Thumbsup

Hiromi Uehara The Trio Project

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-08-2015, 02:12 AM
(12-08-2015 02:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  GoGo Penguin - Hopopono. Great young English jazz/RnB trio.

Garden Dog Barbecue Live Session

Fanfares Live Session

I like the Zen World album MrsB. I'll listen to the other recordings tomorrow.

I enjoyed the first GoGo Penguin song, but the others ''would not play'' in my country.
[+] 1 user Likes Mrs.B's post
13-08-2015, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 02:37 AM by Banjo.)
(12-08-2015 07:26 PM)cactus Wrote:  You might remember this song from the beginning of My Big Fat Greek Wedding

some sweet jazz from the game, Gunpoint

and of course, you can't have a topic like this without Dave Brubeck Smile

Great stuff Cactus! ALL my students know who Joe Morello is. Wink

(13-08-2015 02:12 AM)Mrs.B Wrote:  I enjoyed the first GoGo Penguin song, but the others ''would not play'' in my country.[

That's a shame. I have heard everything now. Great, new music. Except for the stuff I know, which is still great.

Banjo.