The jazz, International and traditional & classical musics thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-09-2015, 11:54 AM
RE: The jazz, International and traditional & classical musics thread.
(16-09-2015 12:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  How old is that last track? The drums and guitar are in opposite channels??

Late sixties, and crappy recording equipment.

(16-09-2015 12:28 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Interesting how the drum beats in the top Greek tune and the above Zimbawein are both virtually the same. It is commonly called a soca. But African's claim it, Macedonian's claim it and perhaps even Greeks. The truth is that all these rhythms originated mainly in Africa and were transported during the slave trade.

It isn't even necessary that they be borrowed; there are rhythms and scales we can show originated separately in, say, the Mediterranean and East Asia - or, at least as separately as anything in human culture.

Not that it's accurate to say "the" slave trade when you're spanning Dakar to Maputo and two thousand years of history...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
18-09-2015, 11:57 AM
(18-09-2015 11:13 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  2002GR? Oh dear Tongue

To be honest I've only been in that thread once Blush

SHAME.

Angry

Big Grin

(18-09-2015 11:13 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Greek music sure has its gems but I'm not really a fan of Greek hippie stuff. I mean, there are so many better things (foreign hippie stuff or Greek non-hippie stuff) to listen to Blush

It... isn't generally very good IMO either, actually. But the point of that thread isn't just my favourites, it's to tour the world.

The 2002GR stuff - especially those ludicrous ERT appearances - just makes me smile.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-09-2015, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2015 07:57 PM by Banjo.)
(18-09-2015 11:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  It isn't even necessary that they be borrowed; there are rhythms and scales we can show originated separately in, say, the Mediterranean and East Asia - or, at least as separately as anything in human culture.

Not that it's accurate to say "the" slave trade when you're spanning Dakar to Maputo and two thousand years of history...

Sadly we only have what we have recorded now. And the rhythms really can only be traced back as far as they were first written down.

Since recording equipment came into play we have a basic idea starting with America with marching bands then blues and jazz. Of course that became a worldwide phenomenon and spread across the planet through radio and movies. And in the early days in the States the back beat, so prominent today was not played because it was considered rude. This information is straight from the mouth of Louis Bellson.

[Image: 2015-09-23%2011.54.19_zps5g4nr0zz.jpg]

It was not until RnB, first in the 40's and later in the 50's that the back beat came into play. (The back beat is a heavy snare rhythm mostly played on 2 & 4 but sometimes in an off beat,)And this is from Earl Palmer (Most recorded musician in history) "We began to add the back beat because jazz had stopped selling". Notice the soca has a backbeat one off beat and one on beat. And the modern drum kit on which the soca is played, is an American instrument.

These rhythms may have existed prior, but would have been played on other instruments. Perhaps with bells or on a hand drum. Not the drum kit. The soca, as far as I am aware, was developed in the caribbean, having been a development of the funk and Latin rhythms played in Cuba and heavily recorded by people such as Tito Puente and Machito in the United States. And of course James Brown's drummers.

One must remember, the drum kit only came into existence with the birth of the bass drum pedal. Some say during the 1890's, but more commonly attributed to the Ludwig company circa 1904.

Before that in the states the drummers were usually ex servicemen from the Civil war and knew only snare technique, or the bass drum players. Later the "double drummer" around 1865, came into being who played both snare and bass drum with sticks.

[Image: 09.jpg]

Later it would develop into something like this. With a tom and cymbals from China, later cymbals came from from Turkey, an American made bass drum pedal etc.

It is highly unlikely the soca was being played on this instrument back in the 1920's!
The hi hats did not even exist yet.

[Image: 6301589.jpg?361]

Anyway, here's Louis Bellson. Whom I spoke with regarding rhythms and my friend Daniel Glass later interviewed in more depth and wrote a book with Steve Smith of Journey about the history and rhythms of this uniquely American instrument.

My friend Daniel. (Who I had give a 4 hour lesson to my student, Taso)
On double drumming.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
25-09-2015, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2015 02:34 AM by Banjo.)

Tina Turner does a high class job here on Joni Mitchell's Edith and Kingpin.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
26-10-2015, 04:48 AM
The greatest swing band of all time. Extremely rare footage of the Chick Webb orchestra. The greatest drummer of the age. Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa adored him. The guy that gave Ella Fitzgerald her break.

Chick had spinal polio as a child and was unhealthy, short and hunchbacked, but he was the world's greatest drummer. Died aged 32. Sad

Ella took over the band.

Chick at the Savoy ballroom!

Two reeler. You see him in the second reel.

Banjo.
29-10-2015, 06:20 AM

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-11-2015, 04:15 AM

Banjo.
16-11-2015, 11:24 PM
For a while I was obsessed with the Russian composer Sergei Rachmaninoff. This piece by him is nearly unknown, but it's one of the most beautiful works I've heard.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
25-11-2015, 12:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CUyf-foqU
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2015, 01:29 AM
(14-08-2015 06:48 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Fela Kuti.

Fela's a badass.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post