The joys of rural life...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2015, 03:01 PM
RE: The joys of rural life...
(01-02-2015 02:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I live right by the center of town in a major city...

Apparently not. Big Grin

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
(01-02-2015 02:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 02:57 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Wasn't that long ago I was on local servers using a 28.8 k modem - and thought I had it made.....

28.8k... Jesus H Christ how the fuck did you even survive?
I think I would literally slit my wrists if I was subjected to 28.8k.
I aint got time for that shit.

Remember young one - you're dealing with a dinosaur.....

At the time I was using a Compac "portable" computer. Which used 5 1/2 inch floppies and had a monochrome 6 inch screen -- text only...... It was more or less pre 286 IBM....

The technological revolution didn't start with lasers, particle accelerators, LED screens and high speed cable......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-02-2015, 07:29 AM
I started out on a 1200 bps modem dialling into bulletin boards directly. These were not web sites, but were computers directly hooked up to one or more modems. You could connect to one at a time, and they could only have as many concurrent users as they had physical separate phone lines into the residence (we're talking about a computer at some guy's house). They would cost the price of a local phone call to connect to, that is assuming they were in your local dialling area. You would be kicked off after a while so someone else could have a turn.

The bulletin boards connected up overnight via long distance telephone calls to exchange email and message group content between machines. It could take a few days for a message to get from one side of the world to the other because it would take several overnight hops to make the journey. The worst possible thing you could do online is send a long message where a short one would do or quote useless information. You would be directly costing people money by doing so, and everyone was a volunteer working for no pay.

All displays were plain text or were based on ascii art. Online games were turn based due to the technical limitations above. At 1200bps it would take several seconds for each line of text to appear. Once we hit 14.4k they seriously whooshed past and you could get a whole page loaded in not so many seconds. If you actually wanted to download a file you would have to hand the modem connection over to a file transfer program and have it return the connection back to you when it was done. I skipped 28.8k and ended up on a 56k modem for my first real internet use based on SLIP and PPP connections.

I have just put an offer on a house that if accepted will move me from an area that supports 4MBps to one that supports over 20MBps. I will notice the difference if it all works out.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
02-02-2015, 07:47 AM
(02-02-2015 07:29 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I started out on a 1200 bps modem...

I remember being happy about moving up to a 300bps modem from the old 110. Not only that, the data had to go uphill to the other end.... both ways!

and get off my lawn!

goddam kids

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
02-02-2015, 09:36 AM
(01-02-2015 03:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 02:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  28.8k... Jesus H Christ how the fuck did you even survive?
I think I would literally slit my wrists if I was subjected to 28.8k.
I aint got time for that shit.

Remember young one - you're dealing with a dinosaur.....

At the time I was using a Compac "portable" computer. Which used 5 1/2 inch floppies and had a monochrome 6 inch screen -- text only...... It was more or less pre 286 IBM....

The technological revolution didn't start with lasers, particle accelerators, LED screens and high speed cable......

flo-ppies??
02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Not counting the punch card computer I used in university, this was my first desk computer, The Apple IIc.

[Image: iic_irc_thumb.jpg]

Technical specifications:

Microprocessor
65C02 running at 1.023 MHz
8-bit data bus
Memory
128 KB RAM built-in
32 KB ROM built-in (16 KB ROM in original)
Expandable from 128 KB to 1 MB (only through non-conventional methods in original)
Video
40 and 80 columns text, with 24 lines[6]
Low-Resolution: 40 × 48 (15 colors)
High-Resolution: 280 × 192 (6 colors)[7]
Double-Low-Resolution: 80 × 48 (15 colors)
Double-High-Resolution: 560 × 192 (15 colors)[7]
Audio
Built-in speaker; 1-bit toggling
User adjustable volume (manual dial control)
Built-in storage
Slim-line internal 5.25-inch floppy drive (140 KB, single-sided)
Internal connectors
Memory Expansion Card connector (34-pin)*
Specialized chip controllers
IWM (Integrated Wozniak Machine) for floppy drives
Dual 6551 ACIA chips for serial I/O
External connectors
Joystick/Mouse (DE-9)
Printer, serial-1 (DIN-5)
Modem, serial-2 (DIN-5)
Video Expansion Port (D-15)
Floppy drive SmartPort (D-19)
12-Volt DC connector input (DIN-7, male)
NTSC composite video output (RCA connector)
Audio-out (⅛-inch mono phone jack)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-02-2015, 09:51 AM
And who can ever forget this! Still makes me want to cut my veins when I hear it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-02-2015, 08:35 AM
(02-02-2015 09:51 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And who can ever forget this! Still makes me want to cut my veins when I hear it.

Ah, the good times. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 05:25 PM
(01-02-2015 01:45 PM)Sam Wrote:  Fuck's sake... Angry

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4108143445

WOW! Thanks for posting that. I haven't tested mine for a while so I did and found out I was at 30! That made me go find the problem. I found out my PC was on the wireless network so I fixed it and I'm back up at 60 again. SORRY Wink
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I had a TI 99a that bitch had 16k of memory and there was no internet. You could hook up a cassette deck to it to program it or you could type all day make a cheesy program.