The label and does it matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: The label and does it matter?
(11-12-2013 10:54 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  How badly does the distinction really matter?

Or

Videos were great! I've been far too guilty before of doing exactly what Dr Tyson says "lumping all those associations" upon an individual as soon as they use a label. When he says "Not the way to have a conversation" - I really take that to heart.

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 02:13 PM by anonymous66.)
I don't really care if someone wants to call himself an agnostic. I did for a while. Then, I called myself an agnostic atheist (I knew I wasn't an agnostic theist), but now I'm just calling myself an atheist. It took me a year to go through this change.

I called myself an agnostic, because I knew that I couldn't know for sure there wasn't some intelligence that created everything in the beginning, even though I didn't believe in any God of any known religion. I still suppose there could be some deistic God that is unknowable, but it seems silly to make that distinction. The possibility does appear to be a remote one. So, just call me an atheist. There is no evidence that suggests anything supernatural exists, and a mountain of evidence that suggests all Gods are merely human constructs.

You can prove a negative...

The incredible shrinking God...
[+] 2 users Like anonymous66's post
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2013 11:03 AM by anonymous66.)
I just watched Neil's video and agree with much of what he said. He asks, "why do we need a word like atheist?"... and I see his point.
12-12-2013, 12:54 PM
It matters in a state where agnostics can hold office, but it is illegal for atheists to do so.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
12-12-2013, 01:00 PM
(12-12-2013 01:31 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  All agnostics are atheists, even if they don't know it.
There are millions of agnostic theists.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
12-12-2013, 01:37 PM
At the very root of it all, in the strictest definitions, an agnostic has to be an atheist, because they are saying they don't know, which means they don't believe in a god at this time. It's all semantics, unfortunately those semantics have a lot of baggage that some aren't willing to carry. I can relate to that.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
(12-12-2013 01:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  At the very root of it all, in the strictest definitions, an agnostic has to be an atheist, because they are saying they don't know, which means they don't believe in a god at this time.
I don't think that's correct because you can believe in things without knowing that they're true.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]