The lack of...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2013, 01:52 AM
The lack of...
Most of us here are very concerned about disproving the bible. When really the religion comes down to something which most of us have a lack of. This would be faith. Now personally there are many religions which I feel do not harm people and we don't try to disprove them. I feel it is because of the lack of separation of government and religion that we have this offensive approach on disproving the bible. For if a man was not elected based on his religious beliefs but his moral beliefs we would not be having this problem. If homosexuals could marry without the political argument that it is against God. For this is not a political argument but a religious one but yet treated as it is politics.

We all have opinions while we might feel like ours are based on truths so do they. For they truly belief in a God and therefore there opinions are based on there being a God. But this is where the its your body do with it as you wish needs to come in. They might believe in God and want to go to church every week. You might be atheist and want to relax every week instead. But when either side starts to force and say why arnt you doing this that these problems result.

I define Christians as those who are not trying to fight with science but those who embrace it. For they see that the bible has some stories in it. But I think atheist and theists can both agree that the defining moment of how this universe was made is not something that is proven with logic or science as of this point. So if they want to believe in a God that does these thing or no God as long as you do not try to force your opinions on the other side then this problem would not be such a problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 05:17 AM
RE: The lack of...
No disagreement from over here with your overall viewpoint.

I'm not sure it's that easy or wise to 'define' a christian. Many would site plenty of 'proof' of how the universe was made. We may think their proof is bullshit but to them it's 'troof'... their personal troof.

It's their troof proof.

Consider

They are proof-proof!

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2013, 06:09 AM
(10-03-2013 01:52 AM)Ironwall Wrote:  Most of us here are very concerned about disproving the bible. When really the religion comes down to something which most of us have a lack of. This would be faith. Now personally there are many religions which I feel do not harm people and we don't try to disprove them. I feel it is because of the lack of separation of government and religion that we have this offensive approach on disproving the bible. For if a man was not elected based on his religious beliefs but his moral beliefs we would not be having this problem. If homosexuals could marry without the political argument that it is against God. For this is not a political argument but a religious one but yet treated as it is politics.

We all have opinions while we might feel like ours are based on truths so do they. For they truly belief in a God and therefore there opinions are based on there being a God. But this is where the its your body do with it as you wish needs to come in. They might believe in God and want to go to church every week. You might be atheist and want to relax every week instead. But when either side starts to force and say why arnt you doing this that these problems result.

I define Christians as those who are not trying to fight with science but those who embrace it. For they see that the bible has some stories in it. But I think atheist and theists can both agree that the defining moment of how this universe was made is not something that is proven with logic or science as of this point. So if they want to believe in a God that does these thing or no God as long as you do not try to force your opinions on the other side then this problem would not be such a problem.
I debunk the bible not for academic interest, but because I think Christianity is detrimental, not only because of the separation of church and state argument, but because I think it damages people psychologically as well. If you're interested in why I think that, please read my blog at http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...ristianity

I agree that we should not try to force our opinions about religion onto others. Hopefully though all of us will be open minded enough to listen to the opinion of others. I hope, perhaps optimistically, that some Christians will get something from my opinions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
(10-03-2013 06:09 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I've never tried to disprove the bible. However, the contradictions in the bible are what led me to question my Christian faith and eventually turn to atheism. I could care less what other people believe or do. I have many Muslim, Christian, and Atheist friends and family and I simply try to avoid the religion conversation. I have a Muslim brother-in-law and love talking to him about religion. He knows I'm an atheist, but I am also very interested in learning about his beliefs and religious customs. He also knows that i respect his beliefs and would never disrespect his religion. I do not try to sway his beliefs and he does not try to convince me Islam is better than the other routes. There are countless differences between people and I think it is crazy to label people based on their religion or lack thereof.
(10-03-2013 01:52 AM)Ironwall Wrote:  Most of us here are very concerned about disproving the bible. When really the religion comes down to something which most of us have a lack of. This would be faith. Now personally there are many religions which I feel do not harm people and we don't try to disprove them. I feel it is because of the lack of separation of government and religion that we have this offensive approach on disproving the bible. For if a man was not elected based on his religious beliefs but his moral beliefs we would not be having this problem. If homosexuals could marry without the political argument that it is against God. For this is not a political argument but a religious one but yet treated as it is politics.

I debunk the bible not for academic interest, but because I think Christianity is detrimental, not only because of the separation of church and state argument, but because I think it damages people psychologically as well. If you're interested in why I think that, please read my blog at http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...ristianity

I agree that we should not try to force our opinions about religion onto others. Hopefully though all of us will be open minded enough to listen to the opinion of others. I hope, perhaps optimistically, that some Christians will get something from my opinions.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 12:33 PM
(10-03-2013 01:52 AM)Ironwall Wrote:  Now personally there are many religions which I feel do not harm people and we don't try to disprove them.
I do. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
10-03-2013, 12:34 PM
(10-03-2013 12:33 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:52 AM)Ironwall Wrote:  Now personally there are many religions which I feel do not harm people and we don't try to disprove them.
I do. Drinking Beverage

Me, too. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-03-2013, 12:44 PM
(10-03-2013 12:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:33 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I do. Drinking Beverage

Me, too. Thumbsup
I understand trying to disprove them, but it really is a wasted effort. Good luck to you both! Smile

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 01:08 PM
It's not a wasted effort when you can use historical events that have actually happened to do it.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
10-03-2013, 01:11 PM
(10-03-2013 01:08 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  It's not a wasted effort when you can use historical events that have actually happened to do it.
It is when the people you are talking to aren't open to your position. It's a waste of effort to talk to someone who is not truly listening.

10-03-2013, 01:19 PM
It's really about getting to leveled ground and not exactly putting more weight on your end of the seesaw, at least for me.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post