The laws of church and state

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2010, 06:24 PM

The laws of church and state
Since easter is around the corner i thought i'd share with you a few laws about "the sacred days" and the laws surrounding them here in Iceland.

For those of you who don't know, Iceland does currently not have a separation of church and the government and the national church is a lutherian church.

The "sacred days" are split in three groups, by the law. Group one is a general group, sundays and some lesser holidays, group number two is the large one, easter and the friday before easter (the day which jesus was allegedly crucified on, can't remember what it's called in english), and group three are the days surrounding christmas.

The days i wish to mention are the days in the second and the third group. According to laws since 1997 these things are illegal:

" Social gatherings, such as balls and private gatherings at public restaurants or other places open to the public. The same goes for public shows and entertainment where lottery, bingo or other similar games are played"

Now, is it just me or are these laws ridiculous?

P.S.1: the underlining is not in the law itself, i put it there for emphasis.
P.S.2: a whole bunch of things do not fall under these laws, f.ex. concerts, movie screenings and art galleries, however, playing bingo is defiantly illegal.
P.S.3: This is my own translation from icelandic to english and could probably be done more professionally by a lawyer, but it would basically read the same.
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2010, 06:35 PM
RE: The laws of church and state
Yes, that is definitely ludicrous. I'm sorry that you have to go through that. It must be an even more boring Sunday than usual.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2010, 08:53 PM
RE: The laws of church and state
What is the penalty for playing Bingo on Good Friday(When Jesus was crucified)? I can just imagine that hearing.

Those laws are completely idiotic, how can they even be properly enforced?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply