The legalization of marijuana and other drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-02-2011, 12:17 PM
RE: The legalization of marijuana and other drugs
My thoughts:

There are options for generating revenue. One that is readily available is to declare victory on the War on Drugs. We currently spend $15 billion a year on drug enforcement. In 2009 1.6 million arrests were made for “drug abuse violations.” The money we spend on enforcement, court costs, incarceration costs, rehabilitation costs, etc. could easily be compounded by the legalization of marijuana and the taxation and regulation of its sale and use. While I’m sure there are numerous studies available on the cost benefit analysis of legalization, it is probably a conservative estimate that the government could realize a net savings of well over $100 billion by adopting a legalization approach.

Another area of untapped revenue is prostitution. There is limited available data on the revenue models for prostitution, but in Nevada, where the practice is legal in 10 of the state’s 17 counties, it accounts for roughly 25% of county revenues in taxation, licensing and fees. While Nevada does not have a state income tax, taxation on prostitution is nearly an annual pastime. In 2009 Nevada proposed a $5 tax on legal sex acts that was to generate an estimated $2 million in government revenue. Some brothels are required to purchase operating licenses for up to a $100,000 fee as well as annual licensing fees. Societal benefits such as regular testing for sexually transmitted diseases, proof of age and/or citizenship for prostitutes could also cut the rate of STD transmissions, minors involved in the sex trade as well as human trafficking. Over 70,000 non-violent arrests involving prostitution were made in 2009. Again, the net cost benefit realized between enforcement and legalization would likely lead to tens of billions, if not $100 billion annually.

Ultimately, the budget is a reflection of the country’s priorities and values (as well as the interests of well-funded lobbyists). We can continue pretending that we are conducting a war on drugs, or show our disapproval of prostitution by making it illegal, but both of these activities will continue unabated long after we are gone from this earth. Prostitution didn’t earn the moniker “the world’s oldest profession” without reason. As soon as we place more value on the fiscal health of the United States than we do in punishing people for sex and drugs we can begin to move forward down a path of fiscal responsibility. I find it amazing that the same people that scream for less government and personal liberties and freedoms are always the ones that demand the government take action to protect the citizenry from sex, drugs, and homosexuals. Think about it for a moment...

from: http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/02/...posal.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
27-02-2011, 02:29 PM
(26-02-2011 10:31 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I think weed should be legal starting tomorrow. I think Buddy_Christ will back me up on that

YES! A shout out! (fist pump)

My first reaction as a libertarian is to say legalize all drugs. It's our right to choose to destroy ourselves on heroin if we choose to. But then I consider how stupid and self destructive humans are and a part of me wants to say "do objective scientific research on all drugs, then legalize the ones with the lowest potential addiction and damage."

People still lump marijuana in with cocaine and meth, a lingering effect of the propaganda of Harry J Anslinger.

I recommend everyone watch Grass: The History of Marijuana, narrated by Woody Harrelson (I just did a quick search and the whole thing is on youtube, lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sknoKWsVlAA

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
28-02-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm a fan of musicals like Reefer Madness: the movie musical (2005). Much better than the movie it parodies Reefer Madness (1935) the anti-marijuana propaganda film that gained cult appeal. The actual history of what made this drug a menace in the US is complete and utter bullshit. Nowadays the only reason people still fight it is because they won't look back and see what idiotic reasoning was used.

The 30's had a lot of crazy propaganda films, it's a good decade of cinema to parody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-up5VVRe...ure=fvwrel (link to opening song to the musical, youtube doesn't have a full movie of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2FZgErvNTE (link to 1935 propaganda film: full movie)

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
(27-02-2011 09:33 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I feel that all drugs should be legalized. Saying you can't do something is the most dangerous stance you can have. The hard drugs which are popular enough are generally popular either for their controlling features or because they are illegal. And it's a fact that all illegal drugs are dangerous in the fact that you can be sold a bad batch, with no consequences for sellers doing this (it's the same difference if you sell people clean drugs as if you sell them instantly lethal ones). If drugs were more regulated there would be work by drug companies to lower the lethalness of them in order to keep users buying.

If some of the horrible drugs became legal I think most people would see the risk as too great. and anyway to bypass legality druggies find ways to create hazardous drugs out of legal ones. Give them crack and they won't be using other drugs in it's place. If people are allowed to take the hazards of drinking and smoking even though it's obviously bad for you, then why stop there?

I am for legalization, but I am also for control. I think it's correct to demand liquor liscenses on etablishments, and prevent smoking in most public places. when you bring your dangerous habit out in the public you endanger others. while this can never be fully controlled I think stipulations help. Just saying no flat out always leads to trouble, especially with the ones who tend to die over durugs teenagers.
My mom always took this stance. While I believe Marijuana should most certainly be legal, I have to say I don't agree with her and you. Certain drugs are extremely dangerous and I don't mean to the people who take them, but to those around them. PCP for example. People who use it can show amazing strength and become delusional and violent and can be hard, even for the police, to get control of. Also my husband grew up with a drug addict mother and it wasn't pretty. Making it legal won't mean these people can function well enough to hold a job and won't commit crimes in order to raise the money to support their drug habit. Marijuana is different. I live in CA, I grew up around, and was raised by, people who smoked pot on a regular basis. People who were successful and otherwise law abiding citizens.
The funny thing about it in CA is that you can get a prescription for it pretty easily, get it just as easily, and most police don't really care if you have it on you or not, as long as you're not driving under the influence. Legalizing it would only add a tax on it which I think most people would pay as opposed to paying for the prescription.
06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
[Image: 6001.jpg]

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.
[+] 1 user Likes Kar98's post
06-03-2011, 02:01 PM
While I am pro legalization when it comes to marijuana, I'm very much not pro on the hard stuff. This is because I live in a country with very strong social benefits. this means that if my neighbor fucks up his life society, and therefore I, have to pick up the bill. I'd rather see my tax money spent on cancer patients than rehab patients.
For a country like America where, as I understand it, it's every man for himself, I don't see what the big deal is. Like several of you have mentioned already it's up to you what you want do with your own life. If something is not detrimental to society, why should society care?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
06-03-2011, 02:28 PM
(06-03-2011 02:01 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  For a country like America where, as I understand it, it's every man for himself, I don't see what the big deal is. Like several of you have mentioned already it's up to you what you want do with your own life. If something is not detrimental to society, why should society care?

That's not actually true. It's not really every man for himself. Social programs like Medi-care and welfare ect. are paid for by our taxes. But what's worse is that things like health care in a sense are paid for by those who can afford it. If someone doesn't have health care and then gets into a car accident, or suffers another serious injury, or even has a minor health problem that they can't afford to go to the doctor for, they end up going to the emergency room. If they can't afford the bill they often go to collections, but that doesn't really fix the problem. If they don't pay they don't pay. That doesn't mean the doctor or hospital doesn't get paid. The money comes from somewhere and that somewhere is the insurance companies. That's why our premiums are so high and the higher the premiums the less people who can afford it and the more people who aren't getting preventative care and putting the stress on the emergency rooms. It's a vicious cycle. It's one of the reasons this country so desperately needs Universal Health Care.

My husband gets his insurance through his company and they cover all of us 100%. We don't pay any premiums. I actually had a friend of mine who doesn't agree with the idea of Universal Health Care, ask me why I cared so much about it? She said since I don't pay premiums, why would I want to pay for everyone else' with my taxes. But the problem is, if my husband has a health problem that leaves him unable to work and he has to leave his job, his health insurance goes with it and at that point we wouldn't be able to afford the health care he would need to treat whatever ailment he has so he could go back to work and get health care again. It's a catch 22.
06-03-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't like the idea of my kids growing up in society where drugs are legal. Regardless of the control, legalization means more access. I don't want my kid to be walking home from school and being harassed by some crack-head, only to find out we can't do anything legally about it because cocaine is legal and he wasn't doing anything illegal.

Marijuana... Meh, I guess legalizing it would make it easier to find a job.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sacrieur's post
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Legalizing drugs doesn't mean that it would suddenly be legal to get high on crack and harass people. Legalizing drugs would, however, free up law enforcement to stop that crack-head from harassing your son in the first place, instead of wasting time arresting some guy for smoking a joint and eating a twinkie.

Legalize weed? I say yes.
Legalize all drugs? I have a hard time with that. Jury's still out.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Booze shouldn't be the only option to get legally high with.
If drugs would be legalized, I'd prefer it to be a state monopoly. The profit's would be used for drug prevention, enlightenment and such and there wouldn't be any advertising. But I have a feeling that there's some flaw with this, but at least it sounds better than making drugs a free industry with advertising and prize competition.

But I'm still pondering what to do with drugs harder than ethanol. I wish there would be a way to make them disappear.

Legalizing drugs would take the business out of the hands of criminals and it would be harder for underage kids to get them, since a dealer doesn't give a sheet about the buyer's age, but a store can control the age. Of course there would be people buying the drugs for the underage kids, but when you get caught for giving it to kids, you lose your right to buy it from the store. Just like if you'd buy booze for a kid.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The War on Drugs Ace 32 380 16-07-2014 08:37 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  1 in 10 Deaths related to Alcohol, Marijuana still illegal Revenant77x 28 366 02-07-2014 09:07 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Stop The Welfare State, Vol. V: How We Wasted A Trillion Dollars on The War On Drugs Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 6 303 13-07-2013 05:39 AM
Last Post: mdak06
  The Freakinomics of McDonald's vs Drugs Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 0 183 09-07-2013 10:31 AM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  Arguments for the prohibition of drugs Grockel 85 2,800 04-03-2013 05:31 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  Federal government already fighting state's rights in marijuana legalization Buddy Christ 42 1,562 07-12-2012 06:30 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Pat Robertson: Legalize Marijuana. Wait, what? rook2004 7 497 07-03-2012 01:52 AM
Last Post: rook2004