The legalization of marijuana and other drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-03-2011, 01:36 PM
RE: The legalization of marijuana and other drugs
Mo honest opinion, and what I'd like to see in my own country is this: Licensed dealerships for ethanol, marijuana and tobacco. You sell to minors, you loose your license. Also I want the government to put a high enough tax on the products that it pays for the treatment of those who get addicted or sick. That way the people who choose not to use these drugs wont loose any money because of the people who do.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 02:24 AM
(07-03-2011 01:36 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  Also I want the government to put a high enough tax on the products that it pays for the treatment of those who get addicted or sick.

Totally agree.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
19-03-2011, 06:41 PM
C0nc0rdance came out with this video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnNPm5cG85c

I'm sad to say that I've actually heard a couple of these myths on Penn & Teller's Bullshit!

No one's infallible, I suppose. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 07:21 AM
The "War on Drugs" is an abysmal failure. Legalize it. Tax it. But judging from what I've read, I'm preaching to the choir.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
16-04-2011, 03:24 AM
(07-03-2011 01:36 PM)Norseman Wrote:  Mo honest opinion, and what I'd like to see in my own country is this: Licensed dealerships for ethanol, marijuana and tobacco. You sell to minors, you loose your license. Also I want the government to put a high enough tax on the products that it pays for the treatment of those who get addicted or sick. That way the people who choose not to use these drugs wont loose any money because of the people who do.

Personally I'd like to see marijuana legalized and tobacco made illegal.
16-04-2011, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2011 04:56 AM by Kikko.)
Quote:tobacco made illegal.
Huh
Could you elaborate a bit? I can't see why tobacco should be criminalized. Tobacco is in such a wide use today, that illigalizing it would give it even worse black markets than marihuana has today. People are already addicted to it, making it illigal would force people to either quit, smuggle some from abroad or home grow it.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
16-04-2011, 11:36 AM

(07-03-2011 01:36 PM)Norseman Wrote:  Mo honest opinion, and what I'd like to see in my own country is this: Licensed dealerships for ethanol, marijuana and tobacco. You sell to minors, you loose your license. Also I want the government to put a high enough tax on the products that it pays for the treatment of those who get addicted or sick. That way the people who choose not to use these drugs wont loose any money because of the people who do.

This is probably the best solution, but in this case there is no way to regulate people who grow/brew for their own use without taxing seeds (which would harm professional growers).
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2011, 11:44 AM
This is true. But this is the same with alcohol today. At least where I live we have a high tax on alcohol, and there are people making moonshine off course. But it isn't a big problem any more. even though the cheapest vodka costs you 50$, most people find this affordable enough not to bother with the moonshine.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
17-04-2011, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2011 06:33 PM by DeepThought.)
I'm all for legalizing drugs. Heroin included!

Keep the criminals off the street, people addicted to heroin could get clean cheap 100% pure easily available heroin with very few side effects and still function normally in society. No more robbing 7-11's, houses or gas stations for a quick fix. Most of the negative sides of drugs are due to them being illegal in the first place. This is especially true with heroin, one of the most addictive drugs. Heroin is most expensive so it's frequently watered down with cheaper nastier stuff that has lots of side effects.

From what was learned in the Netherlands, most of the people who took drugs stopped by themselves or weaned themselves off it within 3 years and the prescribing doctor didn't have to say anything. Now that is a good system. Have a doctor who can explain the risks/benefits etc and keep the patient informed. Tell them "you shouldn't mix that drug with alcohol" etc.

I think thats the way to go and it lets these people function/contribute in society. It's funny that America/the rest of the world didn't learn anything from the 1920's prohibition era. America is currently leading/dictating to the rest of the world how they handle drug policy decisions. "Do things our way or we will restrict certain types of trade with your country."
I like America. Just some of the things America does make me sad.

I downloaded the first season of Boardwalk Empire which is based on that time. It was very entertaining and I liked the way they brought back the past with all the music, clothing and art.

If drugs were available at the nearest corner shop I can say right now I wouldn't be temped at all. People aught to be treated like grownups. There will always be addicts/alcoholics around regardless of whether it's legal/illegal. Lets give them help instead of locking them up!
20-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Hmmm. I was surprised not to see any mention of 420 today.

Oh well....Happy 420 everyone!

So many cats, so few good recipes.