The legalization of marijuana and other drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
RE: The legalization of marijuana and other drugs
Don't worry, you didn't sound that way at all to me. You had interesting points, I had some counter points, so we posted em.

You really don't have to worry about offending me. I don't get offended easily. Wink

EDIT - Typical. My 1000th post is on a thread about weed. LOL

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 12:52 AM
My opinion? Fuck 'em. If idiots worldwide are willing to get smashed every weekend and smoke cigarettes so they end up dying 20 years earlier of lung cancer, go ahead, let them kill themselves another way.
As for me, I won't drink, smoke, gamble, or use marijuana or crack.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
So you are for legalization, you don't care for us idiots that smoke? That is also acceptable, as long as you are not against it. But I must say that not all of us are idiots, some of us work, pay taxes, have families, live normal lives...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-05-2011, 03:33 AM
I know that, Filox. I'm not saying many of you aren't respectable people, people who I wouldn't mind being around for the most part. What I am saying is that it's stupid to smoke if you know just how bad it is for you. Worse than smoking marijuana, by far. I don't see why you would smoke, or drink excessively.

I don't like it that people smoke, or drink too much, but I wish for them to have the right to - so long as they don't interfere with my living too much whilst intoxicated, and I don't have to breathe in second hand smoke every day. Likewise, I would be fine with people smoking marijuana, so long as their doing so doesn't interfere with me, as I don't want to smoke it. If you want to take crack or heroin, I doubt I would stop you, but nothing good will come of it.

I don't see anything good coming from legalising marijuana, or the heavier drugs. A society where they were all legal would be terrible. If marijuana were to be made legal, I don't know that much wrong would come of it, but I'm not convinced much good would come from it either. Alcohol and cigarettes are detrimental to health, and given just how many people die due to smoking related disease and just how many lives are made worse by the addition of alcohol, I'm willing to bet the world would be better without them.
Looking back on it, what I previously posted was a little harsh.. Sorry if you were offended.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

06-05-2011, 04:55 AM
No, no, wasn't offended at all, I completely understand how and why people think of marijuana smokers as "stupid stoners". Smile But since this is the thread about legalizing, I will tell you a story why is it important to legalize at least some drugs...

Today all the drugs (or most of them) are illegal, but they are still selling and people are buying. What do we have with that? We have drug dealers who make tons of (illegal) money, the state gets no taxes for that, you have huge black market and nobody is controlling the quality. You might think that quality is not important, but the quality, or should I say the lack of quality is what is killing people in overdose in most of the cases. Quick example is the ecstasy; when I was younger (in 1998/1999) I used to do a lot of these pills and back then the quality was very high, you would take one pill and you wouldn't sleep for 2 days because it was what it was supposed to be, full of substance called MDMA. Now today kids eat 10-20 "ecstasy" pills a night and they fall asleep the next morning, because there is all sort of new substances in those pills (2CB, special K, methamphetamine...) and almost none, or none of the MDMA. What I'm trying to say is that without control you have no idea what shit dealers mix and what can that combination do to a young body. With legalization comes control and you reduce the danger and health problems drugs can cause. Also you put drug dealers out of business, no more black market. And last, but not least is the tax money. Cigarettes and alcohol have special taxes, so if you put an extra tax on drugs, people will still buy it and the country will have millions and millions of Dollars (or Euros, or whatever) and that money can then be used for new schools, better health insurance, new roads, lesser taxes for the rest of the country... You name it.

So if you look at it now, you can clearly see how many good things can come up from legalizing, but nothing bad. Because if you look at Netherlands, when they legalized it (weed and mushrooms), they actually had less addicts and less deaths from drugs. If you can smoke weed legally, why would you search for anything else (other drugs) and risk jail?

And one last thing for your homework, try to figure out how much money could a state make only on tourism, when millions of tourists come to spend their money. You don't need to have beautiful beaches, sea, mountains, just legal weed. What do you think most of the tourists come to Netherlands, for museums or weed and hookers?

Smile

P.S.
I totally forgot to mention going to jail for a stupid joint, the jails are overbooked and courts are overrun with stupid offenses and that takes time and money we could be spending on bigger crimes.

-Hunter S. Thompson
06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
(06-03-2011 02:47 PM)Sacrieur Wrote:  I don't like the idea of my kids growing up in society where drugs are legal. Regardless of the control, legalization means more access. I don't want my kid to be walking home from school and being harassed by some crack-head, only to find out we can't do anything legally about it because cocaine is legal and he wasn't doing anything illegal.

Marijuana... Meh, I guess legalizing it would make it easier to find a job.

There are laws about being intoxicated in public. These already existing laws would cover that problem. The more access would only apply to adults. It would become more difficult for underage people to get the drugs if controlled. Kids can get pot easier than beer because drug dealers don't ask for proof of age.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes gamsman's post
06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I really don't see the harm in legalizing it. We'll spend less time and resources on this huge chunk of the drug wars, cut the drug cartels income dramatically, and one of the most basic reasons: it really isn't all that harmful. People should be allowed to get drunk, smoke, and top off their day by getting stoned if they want. And while I'm not looking to smoke, I know people who do. They are not just rebellious teens, and many are very functional members of society who smoke responsibly. In short; why is it still illegal?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
It seems that the usage of marijuana would increase alot, and the drug dealers would not go out of business, as they are the only ones who have established production and distribution routes - their business would be thriving. The black market for some drugs would be gone, instead the sales for the now legal marijuana would be booming - giving the drug cartels more business.

06-05-2011, 07:39 PM
(06-05-2011 05:25 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  It seems that the usage of marijuana would increase alot, and the drug dealers would not go out of business, as they are the only ones who have established production and distribution routes - their business would be thriving. The black market for some drugs would be gone, instead the sales for the now legal marijuana would be booming - giving the drug cartels more business.

Not even close. The usage of marijuana would likely increase, but it is so easily available that there wouldn't be a dramatic increase just because it was legal. Besides, even if it did increase, it wouldn't be more people intoxicated, there would just be some who switch from alcohol to marijuana. That's good news. Less addictive, less damage, and a bunch of mellow stoners in exchange for a bunch of obnoxious drunks. Where's the down side?
As for drug dealers, their business would be severely crippled. First of all, the people who start using marijuana because it's legal would obviously seek to acquire it legally. Plus going to the corner cafe whenever you want to get your weed is way less of a pain that arranging to meet up with some dealer. And corner cafes would be businesses that would have to obtain their product legally.
Second, the illegal grow ops would be essentially destroyed, since the legal medicinal growers would be able to sell to the public, and their weed is by far a better (and safer) product. Gone would be the days of closet grow ops and back bush fields. Those that already smoke would also be able to access better product. Not to mention legalizing would mean government run production that would in the very least create a great deal of competition for illegal growers.
(For the record, government operations would do poorly, as proven here in Manitoba. Their product was inferior and a pain to access. The trend would be towards liscenced, indoor farmers. Superior product, controlled conditions, and secure operations. Just like medicinal growers now.)

At the end of the day, the increase in people that smoke would be small, and the damage to drug cartels virtually irrepairable.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
08-05-2011, 04:10 AM
I see that a lot of people here are speculating how bad it would be if marijuana were to be legalized, but you obviously never seen the statistics in counties where weed is already legal, like Netherlands. It is a completely different picture, there is a lot less addicts, there is less "hard" drugs like heroin, much less kids smoke weed under aged... And they make tons and tons of money from tourism. Ask around Netherlands what they think now when EU is pushing them to close the coffee shops where you can buy weed. You are all just too afraid of the unknown and you don't follow real statistics, you are just speculating, and you are doing it all wrong.

-Hunter S. Thompson