The life of a welfare queen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: The life of a welfare queen
(09-01-2014 04:16 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 08:14 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  BQ - this won't sound insensitive but its not my intention at all. Is there a job you can work? Living and working in NYC, i worked with one deaf man. Surely there is a skill set you must have that could get you gainful employment?

Not yet, I'm still learning Braille, mobility, and adjusting emotionally. Once I'm finished with Braille I should be able to return to school no problem. However, my chances of finding employment are startlingly low with the unemployment rate for the blind being more than 70% in some places. It's something of an ignored epidemic in America.

Let me consult WitchSabrina's chicken bones .... Consider ... Magic 8 ball says ... GOVERNMENT JOB! I work with a guy who went blind in his teens due to a gym accident (rubber tension bands snapped off the wall and took out both his eyes). He became a mathematician and is now pursuing a PhD in Computer Science. Government organizations get brownie points for diversity when they hire handicapped of any sort.

You're gonna need a dog though. I keep meaning to ask him how he went about getting his dog but keep forgetting.

Note to self: Remember to ask John how he got his constant companion Wade.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-01-2014, 07:07 PM
The only real welfare queens are corporate America.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Welfare Queens cannot buy off Congressmen.

10-01-2014, 10:15 PM
(08-01-2014 02:14 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 02:05 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  That was an interesting list...but what does welfare have to do with the race cards or reverse discrimination? I consider myself to be fiscally conservative, and I am perplexed.

Also, I don't think most conservative people would call you a welfare queen. People who deserve that title are those that make welfare a lifestyle choice out of laziness. Does that describe you? I'm assuming not.

P.S., what does this thread have to do with 'History'?

First accidentally posted in the wrong spot. Second there's no such thing as a welfare queen because NO one can live off the system, The most anyone ever gets is $1500 not enough for anyone to live off. So the myth of the welfare queen is a complete and total lie.

And what's more is ALL my electronic items I wouldn't be able to afford if they weren't donated or sponsored by Voc rehab centers.

As someone who works full time (more than that) in a medical/care field I make less than 1500 a month and its totally possible to live off of. Just sayin.

I also get no assistance from the government, and didn't qualify for it when I lived alone.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-01-2014, 04:20 AM
Doing a bit of quick math, before taxes, at around 1500 per month exactly, and working a standard 40 hour work week that would be making 9.375 hours per hour. That's a tough wage to live of, but it is possible. In your case, Hobbitgirl, you may make it work, but you also have no children and split the rent/mortgage with someone. Just some factors worth some thought. If you're going to make it work, you cannot be alone. I don't know if you get more for dependents or not.

However, I should note that I'm not in favor of raising welfare more than keeping up with inflation. I am of the opinion that the best way to help the poor is to not make comfortable in poverty, but giving them enough to survive.

Girly also gave some solid info, a ton of government workers are blind. Most of our clothing items, accessories, services and military goods for the military are made by the disabled, and most of them are blind. On military installations with civilian workers in mess halls/chow halls/galleys the workers are often blind or otherwise disabled as well. Of course you can always further your education and get something better as well.

11-01-2014, 11:21 AM
(11-01-2014 04:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Doing a bit of quick math, before taxes, at around 1500 per month exactly, and working a standard 40 hour work week that would be making 9.375 hours per hour. That's a tough wage to live of, but it is possible. In your case, Hobbitgirl, you may make it work, but you also have no children and split the rent/mortgage with someone. Just some factors worth some thought. If you're going to make it work, you cannot be alone. I don't know if you get more for dependents or not.

However, I should note that I'm not in favor of raising welfare more than keeping up with inflation. I am of the opinion that the best way to help the poor is to not make comfortable in poverty, but giving them enough to survive.

Girly also gave some solid info, a ton of government workers are blind. Most of our clothing items, accessories, services and military goods for the military are made by the disabled, and most of them are blind. On military installations with civilian workers in mess halls/chow halls/galleys the workers are often blind or otherwise disabled as well. Of course you can always further your education and get something better as well.

I did it alone for 3 years. I went up to about 10 last month. Which has helped a lot. Minimum wage here went up to 9.10 last month as well.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
11-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm not saying its comfortable or easy, but you'd be surprised what some imagination can do when you dont have much money. But yes having someone to split bills with makes life a lot easier.

11-01-2014, 12:31 PM
(11-01-2014 11:24 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm not saying its comfortable or easy, but you'd be surprised what some imagination can do when you dont have much money. But yes having someone to split bills with makes life a lot easier.
I'm not on any programs but I live alone in Seattle and live off of (spend)approx. 1300/month. Finding ways to not spend money is....awesome! Big Grin

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
11-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I like your attitude sir!