The link between female promiscuity and disloyalty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: The link between female promiscuity and disloyalty
(13-10-2014 08:32 AM)Forbes Wrote:  I've heard of something called oxytocin, which is like a bonding chemical or something, which apparently women have more of, or something like that. What i've heard is that the more men a woman has sex with, the more her ability to bond becomes "numb". Apparently it's not as strong in men, i.e. which is why men can separate love and sex better than women. these are things that i've heard and I wondered if there's any truth to it.

Oxytocin is a neurochemical. Both male and female brains produce and respond to Oxytocin. Oxytocin is mainly known for the effect it has in social bonding but there are plenty of other uses, such as enabling breast feeding, uterine contraction etc.

As with all neurochemicals you can't just describe a single use to it because different parts of the brains with different functions will have receptors for different neurochemicals. For example dopamine has an important role in reward motivated behaviour but a shortage of dopamine causes the movement problems in people suffering from Parkinson's.

This is all a very difficult and complex area and no one is particularly sure. You may have heard a theory misreported by a newspaper from one particular group of scientists with regard to habituation, Oxytocin and pair bonding but there will be undoubtedly be many caveats and should be understood within a wider context.

The brain is an incredibly complex system and it would be wrong to come away with the conclusion that the more any woman sleeps around the less loyal she becomes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
13-10-2014, 09:04 AM
(13-10-2014 09:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:32 AM)Forbes Wrote:  I've heard of something called oxytocin, which is like a bonding chemical or something, which apparently women have more of, or something like that. What i've heard is that the more men a woman has sex with, the more her ability to bond becomes "numb". Apparently it's not as strong in men, i.e. which is why men can separate love and sex better than women. these are things that i've heard and I wondered if there's any truth to it.

Oxytocin is a neurochemical. Both male and female brains produce and respond to Oxytocin. Oxytocin is mainly known for the effect it has in social bonding but there are plenty of other uses, such as enabling breast feeding, uterine contraction etc.

As with all neurochemicals you can't just describe a single use to it because different parts of the brains with different functions will have receptors for different neurochemicals. For example dopamine has an important role in reward motivated behaviour but a shortage of dopamine causes the movement problems in people suffering from Parkinson's.

This is all a very difficult and complex area and no one is particularly sure. You may have heard a theory misreported by a newspaper from one particular group of scientists with regard to habituation, Oxytocin and pair bonding but there will be undoubtedly be many caveats and should be understood within a wider context.

The brain is an incredibly complex system and it would be wrong to come away with the conclusion that the more any woman sleeps around the less loyal she becomes.

So there's no truth to it?
13-10-2014, 09:06 AM
(13-10-2014 09:04 AM)Forbes Wrote:  So there's no truth to it?

It would be a gross simplification and generalisation at best.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
13-10-2014, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 09:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-10-2014 08:32 AM)Forbes Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:26 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  What kind of evidence?

In civilised society it is considered a personal betrayal to cheat, but in some less civilised area it is a crime which can be punished by death, and in some circles people don't mind at all; doggers, key partiers, etc.

The kind of disloyalty you must be referring to with the link between promiscuous behavior and disloyalty is that of people 'cheating' on partners, which of course isn't a female issue; it's something both genders do. And of course sometimes it is considered a personal disloyalty, sometimes a legal one, and sometimes not any disloyalty at all.

I'm not sure what evidence you want of the link. I'm very sure that statistics of promiscuous people's likelihood of cheating compared to 'average people' do not exist.

I've heard of something called oxytocin, which is like a bonding chemical or something, which apparently women have more of, or something like that. What i've heard is that the more men a woman has sex with, the more her ability to bond becomes "numb". Apparently it's not as strong in men, i.e. which is why men can separate love and sex better than women. these are things that i've heard and I wondered if there's any truth to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin
Think about it. If it has anything to do with bonding , and IF women had more generally circulating oxytocin, their pair-bonds would be STRONGER, now wouldn't they. If men can separate love and sex "better", then they would be able to BE more "promiscuous" now wouldn't they.

I think no woman would "serve" you seem to be lacking some "little grey cells" (as a famous Belgian "gent" once said). Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Read:
Sex at Dawn
Not without flaws, but will definitely give you something to think about before being overly judgemental towards both males and females re: their sexual rendencies.

'Murican Canadian
13-10-2014, 09:19 AM
(13-10-2014 08:41 AM)Forbes Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  Probably at least 15 - it requires puberty to be a junior misogynist. Drinking Beverage

Why are you calling me a misogynist? I'm just asking if there is evidence to support the argument. It's not me that made the argument.

You presented it in classic troll fashion. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2014, 09:22 AM
(13-10-2014 08:44 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:43 AM)Forbes Wrote:  That's no reason to accuse me of being a misogynist.

Don't worry about that, he thinks everyone is a troll. You've got your answer now.

No, I think trolls are trolls, and my track record for identifying them is quite good. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2014, 09:24 AM
(13-10-2014 08:05 AM)Forbes Wrote:  I've heard it said that promiscuous women aren't loyal.

Political correctness aside, is there any scientific evidence to support this?

No there's not, but I love how people claim PC in defense of their bullshit.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
13-10-2014, 09:24 AM
(13-10-2014 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:44 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Don't worry about that, he thinks everyone is a troll. You've got your answer now.

No, I think trolls are trolls, and my track record for identifying them is quite good. Drinking Beverage

How about that go easy on him thing regarding poor word choices? What was that about?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-10-2014, 09:27 AM
(13-10-2014 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 08:41 AM)Forbes Wrote:  Why are you calling me a misogynist? I'm just asking if there is evidence to support the argument. It's not me that made the argument.

You presented it in classic troll fashion. Drinking Beverage

No you made an unfounded accusaation.