The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 06:21 AM
The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
Ha!

If you prefer Dumas or Stendhal to Superman and Batman, Sophocles over the Hulk?

Then this is the place for you.

I am having trouble focusing of late. I am trying to read Hitch 22. His prose was just beautiful.

My favourite of the classic novel type remains The three Musketeers by Dumas. Although I rank it below Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and others.

I loved Aesculus and Aristophanes and especially Plato from the Greek. Virgil and Ammianus Marcellinus from the Latin. Cicero's letters, and Pliny of course...

So here we can discuss classics if anyone is interested.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 06:25 AM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
Hitch 22????????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-03-2016, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 06:38 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
I prefer Bulgakov The Master and Margarita and Grossman Life and Fate when it comes to classics. All in all I like Russian literature - Solzhenitsyn, Dostoyevsky, Shalamov, Tolstoy. Gogol and Chekhov are waiting for their turn. Few can compare with them. Strangely German classics such as Kafka Trial or Grass The Tin Drum aren't to my liking. Apparently I have Slavofilic bias.

I'm thinking about purchasing Dante Divine Comedy and Chaucer The Canterbury Tales not to mention Milton Paradise Lost. Hope it is snobish enough Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
23-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Polonius: What do you read, my lord?

Hamlet: Words, words, words.

Polonius: What is the matter, my lord?

Hamlet: Between who?

Polonius: I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.

-- Best West End Comedy Award 1602 Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-03-2016, 07:02 AM
(23-03-2016 06:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I prefer Bulgakov The Master and Margarita and Grossman Life and Fate when it comes to classics. All in all I like Russian literature - Solzhenitsyn, Dostoyevsky, Shalamov, Tolstoy. Gogol and Chekhov are waiting for their turn. Few can compare with them. Strangely German classics such as Kafka Trial or Grass The Tin Drum aren't to my liking. Apparently I have Slavofilic bias.

I'm thinking about purchasing Dante Divine Comedy and Chaucer The Canterbury Tales not to mention Milton Paradise Lost. Hope it is snobish enough Wink

The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

Dante is of course superb and highly recommended.

As is Shakespeare, who at one time I could pick or quote any line from poem or play. (Those days are sadly gone) I recall reading Timon of Athens while in the lavatory. But that is too much information! Big Grin

Loved Kafka and Camus, Sartre, and other so called "existentialists". Loved Simone. Although her novels seemed to resemble Sartre too much. The Second sex was spectacular though. Even though it angered Camus.

No exit, a play by Sartre is I feel a must for any atheist. Hell is indeed other people.

So tell us DLJ, aside from the Shakespeare jokes, what have you read. I am fascinated.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 07:10 AM
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

Gonna check it sooner or later.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Dante is of course superb and highly recommended.

I remember it from school. I'm interested in checking if my perception of it changed.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  As is Shakespeare, who at one time I could pick or quote any line from poem or play. (Those days are sadly gone) I recall reading Timon of Athens while in the lavatory. But that is too much information! Big Grin

I read Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. Now Merchant of Venice waits for his turn.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Loved Kafka and Camus, Sartre, and other so called "existentialists". Loved Simone. Although her novels seemed to resemble Sartre too much. The Second sex was spectacular though. Even though it angered Camus.

Don't like Kafka. Camus The Plague was good enough and I've never read Sartre of Simone. I like Zola though and Anatole France.

Also Raymond Aron and his The Opium of the Intellectuals it's something that I consider to be masterpiece.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-03-2016, 07:15 AM
(23-03-2016 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

Gonna check it sooner or later.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Dante is of course superb and highly recommended.

I remember it from school. I'm interested in checking if my perception of it changed.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  As is Shakespeare, who at one time I could pick or quote any line from poem or play. (Those days are sadly gone) I recall reading Timon of Athens while in the lavatory. But that is too much information! Big Grin

I read Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. Now Merchant of Venice waits for his turn.

(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Loved Kafka and Camus, Sartre, and other so called "existentialists". Loved Simone. Although her novels seemed to resemble Sartre too much. The Second sex was spectacular though. Even though it angered Camus.

Don't like Kafka. Camus The Plague was good enough and I've never read Sartre of Simone. I like Zola though and Anatole France.

Also Raymond Aron and his The Opium of the Intellectuals it's something that I consider to be masterpiece.

Awesome. Read ALL Shakespeare.

Have you checked out other Frenchmen such as Proust? If not, you must.

I always like to mention Boccaccio who is way earlier. Because you mention plague it springs to mind. The Decameron is simply awe inspiring.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 07:22 AM
(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Awesome. Read ALL Shakespeare.

I think it will happen.

(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Have you checked out other Frenchmen such as Proust? If not, you must.

I plan to read Hugo Les Misérables, Flaubert Madame Bovary and reread Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo. Guess Proust also will be on the list.

Have you read De Sade The 120 Days of Sodom, or the School of Libertinism? If not then I would say that you lost nothing.

(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I always like to mention Boccaccio who is way earlier. Because you mention plague it springs to mind. The Decameron is simply awe inspiring.

Decameron is another thing that I remember from school. Though it were only fragments.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-03-2016, 07:29 AM
(23-03-2016 07:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Awesome. Read ALL Shakespeare.

I think it will happen.

(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Have you checked out other Frenchmen such as Proust? If not, you must.

I plan to read Hugo Les Misérables, Flaubert Madame Bovary and reread Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo. Guess Proust also will be on the list.

Have you read De Sade The 120 Days of Sodom, or the School of Libertinism? If not then I would say that you lost nothing.

(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I always like to mention Boccaccio who is way earlier. Because you mention plague it springs to mind. The Decameron is simply awe inspiring.

Decameron is another thing that I remember from school. Though it were only fragments.

Yes I have read all of the above. As for Dumas, you must read The three Musketeers. It is a rollicking adventure the like of which has never been captured on film. Astounding and action packed.

Have you read earlier works from Greece, Rome and Byzantium?

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 07:42 AM
(23-03-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yes I have read all of the above. As for Dumas, you must read The three Musketeers. It is a rollicking adventure the like of which has never been captured on film. Astounding and action packed.

I think I will give it a go. Fortunately or maybe in this specific instance unfortunately I already have many books to dig through.

(23-03-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Have you read earlier works from Greece, Rome and Byzantium?

Yes. I read Oedipus the King, Antigone and The Odyssey. That's all that I remember. Also fragments of Commentarii de Bello Gallico when I was taking Latin course.

Mikhail Bakunin.