The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:45 AM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(23-03-2016 07:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yes I have read all of the above. As for Dumas, you must read The three Musketeers. It is a rollicking adventure the like of which has never been captured on film. Astounding and action packed.

I think I will give it a go. Fortunately or maybe in this specific instance unfortunately I already have many books to dig through.

(23-03-2016 07:29 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Have you read earlier works from Greece, Rome and Byzantium?

Yes. I read Oedipus the King, Antigone and The Odyssey. That's all that I remember. Also fragments of Commentarii de Bello Gallico when I was taking Latin course.

Mate, Aesculus. Check him out. In my opinion at least followed only by Sophocles.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(23-03-2016 07:45 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think I will give it a go. Fortunately or maybe in this specific instance unfortunately I already have many books to dig through.

Yes. I read Oedipus the King, Antigone and The Odyssey. That's all that I remember. Also fragments of Commentarii de Bello Gallico when I was taking Latin course.

Mate, Aesculus. Check him out. In my opinion at least followed only by Sophocles.

Gonna do that Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-03-2016, 08:52 AM
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
So tell us DLJ, aside from the Shakespeare jokes, what have you read. I am fascinated.

Due to memory-leak, I'm struggling to remember but I'll have a go at recalling my favourite reads chronologically.

In my first five years of life, the top two classics that I read repeatedly were:

[Image: harold.jpg?format=300w]
[Image: il_570xN.337367103.jpg]

The latter being perhaps the first step on the path to Dylan Thomas by containing the immortal lines:

"What's the time?"
"Two to two."
"Don't toot at me!"

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-03-2016, 09:21 AM
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I'm thinking about purchasing Dante Divine Comedy and Chaucer The Canterbury Tales not to mention Milton Paradise Lost. Hope it is snobish enough Wink

The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

We had to read it in the original language in my English lessons. Very interesting to see how much the language can change in just 630 years. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
23-03-2016, 09:37 AM
(23-03-2016 09:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

We had to read it in the original language in my English lessons. Very interesting to see how much the language can change in just 630 years. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.

Wasn't easy I suppose. I've tried to read Silmarillion in English and I gave up.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-03-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm a huge Austen fan (NOT the zombie version) and appreciate much of Dickens and Shakespeare, natch.
(I actually read "Pride and Prejudice" aloud to my husband and children on a road trip: they loved it!)
Loved "Love in the Time of the Cholera" and "Anna Karenina" and "The Tin Drum"
Machiavelli's "The Prince" was interesting, especially when you research Machiavelli's life.
One of my favourites is "The Grapes of Wrath": essential to anyone trying to understand American politics IMO.
(I heard that Spielberg was trying a re-make? Couldn't come at a better time, if you ask me)

I would like to say that there is such a thing as "classic" sci-fi: I think that much of what Asimov wrote could be/will be considered classic.
That said, there's a heck of a lot of dross out there in the non-snob worlds of sci-fi and fantasy. Just as there is in other genres.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
23-03-2016, 10:28 AM
I enjoy Hemingway. I like the idea of limning the story rather than spoonfeeding the reading. He's written a couple of clunkers, but I enjoy most of his work, my favorites being For Whom the Bell Tolls and A Farewell to Arms.

I love Solzhenitsyn's nonfiction -- it glows with righteous heat.

I forced myself to read Moby Dick way back when.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-03-2016, 10:42 AM
(23-03-2016 10:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I love Solzhenitsyn's nonfiction -- it glows with righteous heat.

If you love Solzhenitsyn then I think you would also appreciate Solonevich Russia in Chains, Shalamov Kolyma Tales or Babel Red Cavalry.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-03-2016, 11:21 AM
I love Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Shirley Jackson, Flannery O'Connor, Hemingway, Charles Dickens, Kurt Vonnegut, Patricia Highsmith, Lewis Carrol, Jules Verne, Bram Stoker, H.G. Wells, Homer, and Rudyard Kipling.

And I do read the Walking Dead comics sometimes Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
23-03-2016, 11:22 AM
(23-03-2016 07:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Gonna check it sooner or later.

I remember it from school. I'm interested in checking if my perception of it changed.

I read Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. Now Merchant of Venice waits for his turn.

Don't like Kafka. Camus The Plague was good enough and I've never read Sartre of Simone. I like Zola though and Anatole France.

Also Raymond Aron and his The Opium of the Intellectuals it's something that I consider to be masterpiece.

Awesome. Read ALL Shakespeare.

Have you checked out other Frenchmen such as Proust? If not, you must.

I always like to mention Boccaccio who is way earlier. Because you mention plague it springs to mind. The Decameron is simply awe inspiring.

I just saw this posted. Thank you Banjo for making this thread! Heart

I've been involved in the production of most of Shakespeare's comedies and almost all of his histories and tragedies. It's a very different experience to read Shakespeare for a theatrical production than just to read it. Right now I'm involved in the production of one of Shakespeare's Long Poems.....Venus and Adonis, which is being made into a theatrical productions using puppet's . It's not a children's show in any way, shape or form. I sculpted a clay Venus head to resemble Ava Gardner (why not!) and an Adonis similar to Brad Pitt with some Paul Newman in it.

I've taken a negative cast of these figurines in plaster and then a positive cast of that. It's complicated. I should post pictures when I'm done.

But I digress.

Yes, I'm not into the comic book character stuff. I actually love to read biographies. I love to know how people get through life and what made them tick. Banjo, one of my first biographies I ever read was about Errol Flynn who you might know was from Tasmania. OMG, what a life he lived. It was called My Wicked, Wicked Ways. He crammed about 80 years of living into the 49 years he got. It was one of the craziest biographies I've ever read.

I've read the letters Napoleon wrote to Josephine, some Aristotle and Plato, George Washington's letters, a book about Anne Boleyn's dress makers, the history of the making of the Bayeux Tapestries, Einstein's early life, a book about the making of the color blue, Japanese armour making, concubines in China......etc.

I love the American writer, Henry James. I also love Truman Capote and the very American writer Mark Twain. I read a smattering of this and that. Reading one author leads to an interest in another, reading about one subject morphs into another subject, so I'm all over the board. Russian writers are ok but I almost think one has to be a suffering Russian to get the full effect of their books.

I donno. I just read stuff.

I just finished a book called Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex. It was fantastic!

http://www.amazon.com/Bonk-The-Curious-C...0393334791

When I think of specific writers I'll return. Again, thanks for the thread, Banjo.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post