The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 02:30 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
OK, I'm a literature snob. I read just about everything by Steinbeck before high school. In high school I discovered Hemingway and Faulkner, and read most of their stuff. In college I discovered Joyce and Dostoevsky and a bunch of other cool stuff, and started seriously reading poetry for the first time.

I have read very little of the classics (meaning Greek and Roman stuff) other than a few of the Greek tragedies and a little bit of Plato, but I have read a lot of Shakespeare (and seen a lot of it performed), and a wide range of British and American literature since his time. I can't get enough of this stuff, and usually prefer it to more popular forms of literature. But I read the popular stuff sometimes too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-03-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(23-03-2016 09:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The Canterbury tales is wonderful. I recently donated a copy to the hospital library.

We had to read it in the original language in my English lessons. Very interesting to see how much the language can change in just 630 years. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.

I read Canterbury tales in high school and it had the original language on the left and Modern english on the right.

Others I have read Jonathan Swift is a must read, one of the all time satirists. Charles Dickens always good. Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Homer, Machiavelli, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie. Many others of course and some modern writers that I feel deserve their place among the greats at the foremost is Frank Herbert.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-03-2016, 06:02 PM
(23-03-2016 02:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  We had to read it in the original language in my English lessons. Very interesting to see how much the language can change in just 630 years. It was like trying to learn a foreign language.

I read Canterbury tales in high school and it had the original language on the left and Modern english on the right.

Others I have read Jonathan Swift is a must read, one of the all time satirists. Charles Dickens always good. Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Homer, Machiavelli, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie. Many others of course and some modern writers that I feel deserve their place among the greats at the foremost is Frank Herbert.

When I was in high school an old teacher came into English class one time and read some of the Canterbury Tales in the original language. Was pretty cool.

23-03-2016, 06:22 PM
(23-03-2016 10:20 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I would like to say that there is such a thing as "classic" sci-fi: I think that much of what Asimov wrote could be/will be considered classic.

I did not enjoy his prose.

Al Conn to Jack Kerouac: "Jack, what's more important, prose or ideas?"
Jack: "Prose. Ideas are a dime a dozen." Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-03-2016, 01:39 AM
(23-03-2016 06:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I did not enjoy his prose.

What about Robert Heinlein? His Starship Troopers and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress were pretty good in my opinion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-03-2016, 05:51 AM
(24-03-2016 01:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:22 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I did not enjoy his prose.

What about Robert Heinlein? His Starship Troopers and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress were pretty good in my opinion.

Poor prose. Good ideas. Stranger in a strange land was OK. No Tolstoy though. Far from it!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-03-2016, 06:39 AM
(24-03-2016 05:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Poor prose. Good ideas.

I enjoyed it, though I read it quite some time ago.

(24-03-2016 05:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Stranger in a strange land was OK. No Tolstoy though. Far from it!

Not everybody can be Tolstoy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-03-2016, 12:46 PM
(23-03-2016 10:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 10:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I love Solzhenitsyn's nonfiction -- it glows with righteous heat.

If you love Solzhenitsyn then I think you would also appreciate Solonevich Russia in Chains, Shalamov Kolyma Tales or Babel Red Cavalry.

Yes, I've been meaning to grab a copy of Kolyma Tales -- I remember that title being mentioned in GULag Archipelago -- or was it The Oak and the Calf? AS's fiction is sometimes great, sometimes humdrum, to my preferences. I liked First Circle but thought it was a bit convoluted. Ivan Denisovich and Cancer Ward -- especially the former -- were damned good.

I'll look into finding the others, too -- thanks for the suggestions.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-03-2016, 01:00 PM
I've never read Hitch 22 but I've partially read Catch 22.

It's a book I never finished but was enjoying while reading it. I have the copy which had a little sleeve bookmark attached so it still has the place that I would not at all recall what it was going on about.

I'm elevated though to that greater spot of snobbery where I am a book snob who will be snobber to book snobs who exclude less than snob material snobbery. Or something like that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-03-2016, 01:04 PM
(24-03-2016 12:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yes, I've been meaning to grab a copy of Kolyma Tales -- I remember that title being mentioned in GULag Archipelago -- or was it The Oak and the Calf?

It's long time since I read GULag Archipelago but I wouldn't be surprised if it were mentioned there.

(24-03-2016 12:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  AS's fiction is sometimes great, sometimes humdrum, to my preferences. I liked First Circle but thought it was a bit convoluted. Ivan Denisovich and Cancer Ward -- especially the former -- were damned good.

Ivan Denisovich was best of this tree. I would like it to be longer, but then it might lose some of it charm.

And if you didn't already read it August 1914 is good.

(24-03-2016 12:46 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'll look into finding the others, too -- thanks for the suggestions.

No problem. There is also new - or at least newly announced in Poland - book by Nadezhda Mandelstam Hope Against Hope. I heard it is worth reading.

If you want to know more about GULag but from other than Russian perspective then A World Apart by Gustav Herling is something to take interest in.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post