The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
Thanks, Szu!

Clyde, it took me three tries before I made it through Catch-22. In the end I'm glad I did -- it's a great display of long-form sarcasm being used to make a banal point -- war is bad, but it's good business -- entertaining.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(24-03-2016 01:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Thanks, Szu!

No problem. If you're interested I know few more books dealing with subject of GULags/USSR.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-03-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm currently re-reading this particular novel... So much I missed the first time round.

[Image: dinosaur-poo-the-dinosaur-that-pooped-christmas-ch.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2016, 11:08 AM
This is a wonderful thread. One of my undergraduate majors was English Lit but my favorite authors were not English at all. I favor Tolstoy, Pushkin, Dumas, and Hugo
just to name a few.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
30-03-2016, 11:38 AM
(23-03-2016 06:21 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Ha!

If you prefer Dumas or Stendhal to Superman and Batman, Sophocles over the Hulk?

Then this is the place for you.

I am having trouble focusing of late. I am trying to read Hitch 22. His prose was just beautiful.

My favourite of the classic novel type remains The three Musketeers by Dumas. Although I rank it below Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and others.

I loved Aesculus and Aristophanes and especially Plato from the Greek. Virgil and Ammianus Marcellinus from the Latin. Cicero's letters, and Pliny of course...

So here we can discuss classics if anyone is interested.

Snort. You snob. How did I miss this thread ?
I liked Caesar's "Commentarii de Bello Gallico" in Latin. (Although when I found out how they actually pronounced Latin, as opposed to churchy Latin, which is how I learned it, I didn't like it as much.)
I liked the Count of Monte Cristo too.
I remember liking "War and Peace" ... and that he did a great job of getting across the futility of war, and how people can just get swept up in huge currents of history, and seemingly have no way out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2016, 02:20 PM
I love Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Lewis Carrol, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Homer, and Rudyard Kipling.
(a shorter copy & paste from JennyBee)

I read Chaucer - "The Canterbury Tales" when I was in high school.

WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote (A guy is walking barefoot in the dirt)
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote, (in the month of March it was very hot)
And bathed every veyne in swich licour, (he was very drunk while walking)
Of which vertu engendred is the flour; (his skin was very pale)
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth (his breath was foul from all the drinking)
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth (and everyone knew it, wherever he went)
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne (while walking by a newly planted field)
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne, (he saw male sheep nibbling on the plants)
And smale fowles maken melodye, (and heard many birds singing)

My translation may not be entirely accurate.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-04-2016, 02:24 PM

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-04-2016, 02:45 PM
(30-03-2016 11:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Snort. You snob. How did I miss this thread ?
I liked Caesar's "Commentarii de Bello Gallico" in Latin. (Although when I found out how they actually pronounced Latin, as opposed to churchy Latin, which is how I learned it, I didn't like it as much.)
I liked the Count of Monte Cristo too.
I remember liking "War and Peace" ... and that he did a great job of getting across the futility of war, and how people can just get swept up in huge currents of history, and seemingly have no way out.

I doubt I could count the Monte Cristos I've had. Consider

[Image: monte-cristo-sandwich-7new.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-04-2016, 10:54 PM
I just found this thread. I love literature, having (eventually) majored in it during undergrad after floundering around as a pre-med for a couple years. My favorites are mainly in British lit, particularly Victorian but I greatly enjoy Elizabethan as well, and definitely a smattering of other pieces as well.
I've been a Poe fan since Jr. High (we had to choose a quote from a book we read during the summer to read on the first day of 8th grade, and I tried my damnedest to memorize the beginning of "Berenice" before eventually settling on a paragraph from Great Expectations instead). I'm also a huge Dickens fan, despite having not yet read many of his works. I spent my last full day of my time studying in London at the Charles Dickens house - well worth the price of admission, particularly during Christmas time. I somehow didn't read a word of Jane Austen until my senior year of college, when I took a seminar on female British Romantic authors. It was fantastic, and nearly a year later I'm finally going back and trying to finish Persuasion ; I only got through the first 100 pages or so during the term, and I forgot about it once I started working full-time.
Given this information, who else should I read? I tried George Eliot but didn't have the wherewithal to get through Middlemarch . Is she worth another go?
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
18-04-2016, 02:08 PM
(15-04-2016 10:54 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I just found this thread. I love literature, having (eventually) majored in it during undergrad after floundering around as a pre-med for a couple years. My favorites are mainly in British lit, particularly Victorian but I greatly enjoy Elizabethan as well, and definitely a smattering of other pieces as well.
I've been a Poe fan since Jr. High (we had to choose a quote from a book we read during the summer to read on the first day of 8th grade, and I tried my damnedest to memorize the beginning of "Berenice" before eventually settling on a paragraph from Great Expectations instead). I'm also a huge Dickens fan, despite having not yet read many of his works. I spent my last full day of my time studying in London at the Charles Dickens house - well worth the price of admission, particularly during Christmas time. I somehow didn't read a word of Jane Austen until my senior year of college, when I took a seminar on female British Romantic authors. It was fantastic, and nearly a year later I'm finally going back and trying to finish Persuasion ; I only got through the first 100 pages or so during the term, and I forgot about it once I started working full-time.
Given this information, who else should I read? I tried George Eliot but didn't have the wherewithal to get through Middlemarch . Is she worth another go?

I haven't read much Victorian fiction, other than a few of Thomas Hardy's novels (in general, I prefer 20th-century fiction), and I've never read anything by Eliot, but she is highly regarded by literary critics, and Middlemarch is considered one of her best novels (a few critics have even called it the best novel in English by anyone). If I were "into" Victorian fiction, that one would certainly be on my reading list.

As it is, there is so much other stuff to read that I doubt I'll ever get to it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post