The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(15-04-2016 10:54 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I tried George Eliot but didn't have the wherewithal to get through Middlemarch . Is she worth another go?

Absolutely. Like Proust you may simply have to get used to the style. Once you do, oh the prose. Glorious!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2016, 09:24 PM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
Thanks to Girly for The wasteland.

My favourite American novelist is Kerouac. His prose sounds like a saxophone solo with a cool jazz quartet. I always loved this.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-08-2016, 07:26 AM
I'm impressed and pleased to have found your post.

I'm trying to read as much as I can from The Apology of Socrates [in Greek - and Plato's style makes the going really slow]. Generally, I read non-fiction, having just finished Christopher Clark's Iron Kingdom, a history of Prussia. In an age when resurgent fascist forms of government [Putin, Erdogan, the Chinese Communists' hideous and vile system of authoritarian rule etc] seem to have wrong-footed potential critics in the free world, it's deeply moving to read about someone who [I know Socrates was pretty old at the time of his trial] was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to make a point about freedom.

It's not comic books, crappy Hollywood superhero and sci-fi and fantasy films that are hateful but the fact that such mass-produced crapola is taken so seriously by people who should have grown beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves [or men who wear Y-fronts on the outside of latex leotards] intriguing.
[+] 3 users Like Gert Heide's post
05-08-2016, 07:36 AM
I don't know if Raymond Chandler was musical but, even if he wasn't, like Kerouac, he's my favourite American novelist. Favourite author, though, is John Cheever, whose reputation is founded for the most part on the brilliance of his many short stories.

No axe-wielding dwarves or fire-breathing dragons lurking in the pages of anything in my library.
[+] 1 user Likes Gert Heide's post
05-08-2016, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 08:40 AM by Szuchow.)
(05-08-2016 07:26 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  It's not comic books, crappy Hollywood superhero and sci-fi and fantasy films that are hateful but the fact that such mass-produced crapola is taken so seriously by people who should have grown beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves [or men who wear Y-fronts on the outside of latex leotards] intriguing.

I don't much care for comic books or movies but why exactly people should "grow beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves intriguing"? If people are entertained by it then I don't see a problem here. Books purpose isn't only to teach but also to entertain.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
05-08-2016, 08:43 AM
(05-08-2016 08:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 07:26 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  It's not comic books, crappy Hollywood superhero and sci-fi and fantasy films that are hateful but the fact that such mass-produced crapola is taken so seriously by people who should have grown beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves [or men who wear Y-fronts on the outside of latex leotards] intriguing.

I don't much care for comic books or movies but why exactly people should "grow beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves intriguing"? If people are entertained by it then I don't see a problem here. Books purpose isn't only to learn but also to entertain.

That's why there are so many options out there. If we all liked the same things it would be pretty dull.

I may reread the Hobbit and LOTR when/if I ever finish Dance With Dragons.

Oddly I don't much care for comics but do like movies like Blade and Underworld.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Yabut, what good is a Literature Snob thread if we can't be snobbish in it?

Laugh out load

I have nothing against sc-fi/fantasy, etc. -- I loved Lord of the Rings, and I have read just about everything by Ray Bradbury and Orson Scott Card -- and I don't think any of that is "just for kids" -- but it does bother me when I go into the literature or movies forum here and see nothing but sci-fi/fantasy or comic books or video games or movies based on same. Doesn't anybody read serious books anymore?

In the past year or so, I have read one sci-fi/fantasy novel (Gene Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus) and a bunch of other stuff: Philip Roth's Letting Go, some Bernard Malamud short stories, Henri Bergson's little book on metaphysics, Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth, Beowulf, Shakespeare's King Lear, Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning -- and I am currently reading Eknath Easwaran's translation of the Bhagavad Gita. And I probably forgot some things.

The point is that there's so much great stuff out there to read. Why limit yourself to one tiny corner of it?
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
06-08-2016, 04:06 AM
There's no disputing taste. Science has absolute measures of degree that, for convenience's sake, if nothing else, scientists consent to use. There's no equivalent in matters of taste, no Metric Scale of Good and Bad.

It is a common enough reaction in many people [like me] to be somewhat perturbed or even annoyed when others prove to have entirely different ideas of good and bad taste and what is or is not entertaining. My own experiences of sharing what I think are great films and books with friend and colleagues are disappointing. First, other people already know what they like and dislike and that range - certainly in my own case - is rather limited and unlikely to change much in the short term. Secondly, the fact of having my DVD or Flavour of the Month novel returned unappreciated, unwatched or unread calls into question my own judgement and sensibility. [So why bother, one has to ask.] The lesson to be drawn from such trivial disappointments is that it's best to proceed with caution. Most embarrassing of all, though, is that having in the past arrogantly assumed I could share the delight I've found in books and films, I've lent things to people they not only were bound to find boring but which they subsequently lost. Hubris rewarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Gert Heide's post
06-08-2016, 04:09 AM
What a fascinating list of titles.
06-08-2016, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 04:37 AM by Szuchow.)
(05-08-2016 11:54 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have nothing against sc-fi/fantasy, etc. -- I loved Lord of the Rings, and I have read just about everything by Ray Bradbury and Orson Scott Card -- and I don't think any of that is "just for kids" -- but it does bother me when I go into the literature or movies forum here and see nothing but sci-fi/fantasy or comic books or video games or movies based on same. Doesn't anybody read serious books anymore?

Discussing "serious" books is more time consuming and demanding. It's one thing to discuss about LeGuin Earthsea series and quite another to talk about merits of Ingrao Believe and Destroy: Intellectuals in the SS War Machine, Dawkins The Selfish Gene, Hawking A Brief History of Time or Bulgakov The Master and Margarita.

(06-08-2016 04:06 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  It is a common enough reaction in many people [like me] to be somewhat perturbed or even annoyed when others prove to have entirely different ideas of good and bad taste and what is or is not entertaining.

I couldn't care less about others taste. I must only remember to take it into account when I read reviews to help me choose what book buy next.

(06-08-2016 04:06 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  My own experiences of sharing what I think are great films and books with friend and colleagues are disappointing. First, other people already know what they like and dislike and that range - certainly in my own case - is rather limited and unlikely to change much in the short term.

Here I have opposite experience.

(06-08-2016 04:06 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  Secondly, the fact of having my DVD or Flavour of the Month novel returned unappreciated, unwatched or unread calls into question my own judgement and sensibility. [So why bother, one has to ask.]

Not really. Fact that someone does not like thing I like doesn't mean that my judgment is flawed. It only speaks about difference in taste.

(06-08-2016 04:06 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  The lesson to be drawn from such trivial disappointments is that it's best to proceed with caution. Most embarrassing of all, though, is that having in the past arrogantly assumed I could share the delight I've found in books and films, I've lent things to people they not only were bound to find boring but which they subsequently lost. Hubris rewarded.

I don't really care about sharing delights though I'm willing to recommend something if people are asking.

All in all I'm glad about difference in tastes as this mean that I always found the buyer for book I found unworthy of being kept in my library Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.