The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
I'm with you and Banjo on this.

One of my favourite websites deals with movie, television, comic book, gaming and literary tropes. Its contributors have amassed thousands of entertaining examples of tropes and memes and clichés from thousands of movies, comic books, novels and games. If you're familiar with this site [or anything at all similar to it], you're probably aware that the examples are overwhelmingly drawn from fantasy fiction, vampire and horror, science fiction, capes and Y-fronts epics and lone-wolf crime-fighter sagas. Occasionally, when a work by Mark Twain, John Fowles or Jane Austen is cited as an example of a trope-in-action, it comes as a shock. Would people who think Stephenie Meyer is a great writer actually have heard of Mark Twain or Jane Austen?

I've just read a piece about Hollywood director William "Exorcist" Friedkin. As the article reminds us, Hollywood in the 70s used to make films like Network, Chinatown, Taxi Driver and Deliverance. Then, for better or for worse, Star Wars arrived. And, after that I'd add, the transformation of film-making into an edifice built almost entirely on franchises and a film culture that fetishises blockbusters as the only sort of film worth making.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gert Heide's post
06-08-2016, 11:10 AM
RE: The literature snob thread. Hate comics? Sick of generic sci fi and superheroes?
(05-08-2016 07:26 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  I'm impressed and pleased to have found your post.

I'm trying to read as much as I can from The Apology of Socrates [in Greek - and Plato's style makes the going really slow]. Generally, I read non-fiction, having just finished Christopher Clark's Iron Kingdom, a history of Prussia. In an age when resurgent fascist forms of government [Putin, Erdogan, the Chinese Communists' hideous and vile system of authoritarian rule etc] seem to have wrong-footed potential critics in the free world, it's deeply moving to read about someone who [I know Socrates was pretty old at the time of his trial] was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to make a point about freedom.

It's not comic books, crappy Hollywood superhero and sci-fi and fantasy films that are hateful but the fact that such mass-produced crapola is taken so seriously by people who should have grown beyond the stage of finding fairies and elves [or men who wear Y-fronts on the outside of latex leotards] intriguing.

I tend to read non-fiction myself, particularly biographies. I find it much more fascinating than fiction. Flying dragons and fairies are ok for a while but get tiresome very quickly for me. Maybe it's a generational thing.

I've read a lot about old Hollywood (I'm an old movie buff) and just finished a well written book about Ava Gardner. It's not exactly in the same realm as Plato but she was quite the character and had an amazing life.

I also love ancient history and since I work with fabric professionally I'm interested in textiles and it's history. Before the Ava Gardner book I read a fascinating book about the color blue, Tyrian purple and it's extraction from a sea snail called, Rarest Blue: The Remarkable Story Of An Ancient Color Lost To History And Rediscovered by Baruch Sterman. I love stuff like that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-08-2016, 11:24 AM
(06-08-2016 10:40 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  I'm with you and Banjo on this.

Me? Or Grasshopper? Or someone else?

(06-08-2016 10:40 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  One of my favourite websites deals with movie, television, comic book, gaming and literary tropes.

TvTropes?

(06-08-2016 10:40 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  Its contributors have amassed thousands of entertaining examples of tropes and memes and clichés from thousands of movies, comic books, novels and games. If you're familiar with this site [or anything at all similar to it], you're probably aware that the examples are overwhelmingly drawn from fantasy fiction, vampire and horror, science fiction, capes and Y-fronts epics and lone-wolf crime-fighter sagas. Occasionally, when a work by Mark Twain, John Fowles or Jane Austen is cited as an example of a trope-in-action, it comes as a shock.

If it is about Tvtropes then I'm familiar with it but I don't really care, especially considering the fact that site have entries on Chekhov or Solzhenitsyn.

(06-08-2016 10:40 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  Would people who think Stephenie Meyer is a great writer actually have heard of Mark Twain or Jane Austen?

Maybe. Or maybe not. But there is no reason for which I should care about this. In all probability I too didn't heard about many authors whose are held in high esteem by others.

(06-08-2016 10:40 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  I've just read a piece about Hollywood director William "Exorcist" Friedkin. As the article reminds us, Hollywood in the 70s used to make films like Network, Chinatown, Taxi Driver and Deliverance. Then, for better or for worse, Star Wars arrived. And, after that I'd add, the transformation of film-making into an edifice built almost entirely on franchises and a film culture that fetishises blockbusters as the only sort of film worth making.

I've seen only Taxi Driver and I was not particularly impressed with this movie so there is no big loss for me.

I mostly watch movies when I'm drinking with friends. Other than that I'm not really interested.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-08-2016, 03:03 AM
It certainly does seem to be a generational thing, as you suggest. The huge changes in the styles and content of entertainment seem to have arisen following the invention of the microchip and the use of computers to create the entertainment in the first place and, secondly , to provide the platform on which to enjoy it.
07-08-2016, 09:02 AM
If you wanna point out the comparable and shift, it begins before the Stephanie Meyer track of authors but the shift in style common reading of even baby boomers in the US fell off with the influx of James Patterson, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, etc. Where the main types of common shopplace and big popular spread around books are often mystery/thrillers some more political or supernatural than another but mainly all that patern.

To be fair, that stuff always sold in a century gone by with agitha Christie or Spy novel crazes but more people who bought that gathered other written words too.

So called literary fiction, shirt stories collecyions, and poetry has dropped off as a seller item to the mass market, it's still there in large supply to a degree but to smaller marketability.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post