The lost Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2010, 12:02 AM
The lost Bible
Hey,
I have a question.
As far to my knowledge a lot of Christians consider the Bible in its current form the word of god.
But when the Christian doctrine was introduced to the Roman Empire a lot of scriptures were removed because they were offensive.(I still don't get why they left the virtue of poverty in there)
Anyone know where the missing pieces are and why Christianity denies them ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2010, 12:08 AM
RE: The lost Bible
There are quite a few books that are left out.

Two of the big ones I can think of off the top of my head are the book of Judas and the book of Mary Magdalene.

There's also the (Catholic exclusive) book of wisdom.
25-12-2010, 12:54 AM
The Apocrypha is where you can find most of the Biblical scripture that was rejected from the bible for what I suspect are political reasons. However a lot of bible scriptures are lost through time (the old testament was a formulation of only fragments of manuscripts in it's most orginal form, now I think (not 100% sure) that a number of those fragments have disappeared as well).
25-12-2010, 07:51 AM
If you can provide links please do.
I have a feeling the narrative of the bible would make more sense.
Still wouldn't prove an invisible sky daddy though Tongue
25-12-2010, 09:21 AM
The Apocrypha are books that were considered inspired but not worthy of inclusion in the canonical bible. There is also a book available called the gnostic bible which is made up of books which were not considered canonical but which many of the earliest Christians considered valid. This includes a gospel according to Mary Magdalene and (I believe) Timothy. Some of these books describe a petulant youthful Jesus and a Jesus who told women to lead the church. Additionally, there is an unknown gospel known only as Q which inspired both Matthew and Luke. This particular gospel is not available at all, but the evidence for its one-time existence is in the similarities in the two previously mentioned gospels that are not present in the earlier gospel of Mark.
25-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I stumbled upon this website after a quick google search.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/index.htm
Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know of any book we could read on this subject? I don't know about you people, but my knowledge about this is very much on the "I think I heard something about something something somewhere" level.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
26-12-2010, 10:42 AM
(25-12-2010 05:28 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  Does anyone know of any book we could read on this subject? I don't know about you people, but my knowledge about this is very much on the "I think I heard something about something something somewhere" level.

I think I heard the same thing, but my neighbors, sisters, best friends cousin read it on a grocery store bulletin board in 1986.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-12-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm <--------Probably a good bet.
26-12-2010, 08:20 PM

(25-12-2010 12:02 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Hey,
I have a question.
As far to my knowledge a lot of Christians consider the Bible in its current form the word of god.
But when the Christian doctrine was introduced to the Roman Empire a lot of scriptures were removed because they were offensive.(I still don't get why they left the virtue of poverty in there)
Anyone know where the missing pieces are and why Christianity denies them ?

Different books were left out at different times. When the original books were canonized (a long, evolving process) most of the gnostic gospels and other texts supporting different "angles" on the newly popular Christian faith were left out. Works by Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Polycarp, Ignatius, and Clement were left out because, among other things, they were not considered to have been written by first-hand witnesses to Jesus. (History is written by the victors.)

At the time of the Reformation, Martin Luther removed the books of the Apocrypha which are still present in the Roman Catholic Bible, and to a greater extent even the Orthodox Bible.
Quote this message in a reply