The lost Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
RE: The lost Bible
I recently saw a comment on youtube linking Sumerian and Babylonian mythology to the old testament.Anyone ever hear of this ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
(02-01-2011 03:11 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I recently saw a comment on youtube linking Sumerian and Babylonian mythology to the old testament.Anyone ever hear of this ?

I've read parts of the ancient epic, Gilgamesh, which is from the Sumerian/Babylonian eras, and the flood story in there is almost the same as the flood story in the Old Testament. That's 'bout the extent of my knowledge on that subject, but I assume that if there is at least one similarity between the two, there is the possibility that there are more.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
04-01-2011, 06:16 AM
I'll have to give it a read when I get the chance.Still , I except human myths to grow one out of the other.
Christianity grew out of Judaism and Judaism probably grew out of Babylonian and Sumerian myths - educated guess , but I still have to do some research to back up this claim.
04-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Bart Ehrman! He is the man for this topic. He's written several great books, very readable. However he also has a great lecture on CD out there as he teaches this kind of stuff. Look him up seriously!

The Great Courses series see if your Library has any or these:
http://www.teach12.com/tgc/professors/pr...px?pid=150
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
If Jesus was alive today I can imagine him facepalming himself to death at the sight of modern Christianity and how his teachings were perverted - still , I don't think a single historian wrote about the man Jesus , rather than the myth Jesus.
I'll check out Bart Ehrman sometime - thanks.