"The man in black fled across the desert...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2011, 07:48 PM
"The man in black fled across the desert...
...and the gunslinger followed."

Any Dark Tower-ites lurking out there?

If so, let this be the thread for all things Dark Tower (other SK novels allowed, particularly if they apply to the series. i.e. "Salem's Lot," "Hearts in Atlantis," "Insomnia," and probably others.

Long nights and pleasant days to ye, Sai.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
RE: "The man in black fled across the desert...
I only ever read the first two in the series to completion. I just couldn't get into them. I'm a huge Stephen King reader too as I've read and own most of everything he's ever written and published. I even have both of his books that aren't story driven, Danse Macabre, and On Writing, Both are divine, but not really as what they were supposed to be.
There's just something that never clicked with me and the Dark Tower series. The only things I liked were The gunslingers attitude towards everyone else. It was sort of like apathy. I'm sure it changes over time otherwise his motivations would become seriously suspect very quickly. And I liked how the entire time he was writing everything else he wrote, the dark tower loomed in the back of his mind. Permeating every other story he has ever told. Characters and names here and there, places too. Neat. I always wanted something along those lines, like a persistent world, if I were to actually become a published author.
My least favorite of his books due to reason of crappyness are typically the ones that ran the longest. Like me he tends to get a bit long winded and he round talks almost like he gets paid by the word. I didn't like needful things, but would have I'm sure if it were about half as long. I didn't like the tommynockers because it sucked all round and was very much so too long. I didn't like Under the dome. Because it was far too long for as little as he did with the characters he was given. I look forward to his new epic about time travel, though I can't think of the name at the moment.
My favorites are actually his novellas, preferably his bachmann books. My favorite on the list is The Long Walk. It's brilliant. Hands down the greatest thing he's done IMO. Also funnily enough, the first thing he ever did. It was all down hill from there. lol. I love the running man too and roadwork. Both pretty good. Roadwork especially as I could relate to the main characters desperate self destruction even when evident even to him. It just kept spiraling as he watched himself doing things he knew he shouldn't do. Been there.
I like the obvious choices of Green Mile etc. And his surprise to me at least, Cell. I hear it will be a movie soon. Smile yay.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
No. I think his best piece was "The Body" (a.k.a. Stand by Me), which was short. There's no doubt the man can write, but the man can also ramble. Prolly why I don't like him that much, huh; I like my own rambling. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 02:43 PM by free2011.)
The Dark Tower is the single best fictional series ever written by any human being !! And yes, it is better than Harry Potter.

I've read nearly everything King has written. Currently deep into his latest book called 11/22/63. The guy is simply amazing.
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
11-12-2011, 03:22 PM
(11-12-2011 02:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  The Dark Tower is the single best fictional series ever written by any human being !!
No wai!! That'll be Revelation Space by Reynolds. But hey, don't wanna be derailing Preach's Dark Tower love-in... Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-12-2011, 09:00 PM
(10-12-2011 07:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Any Dark Tower-ites lurking out there?
Yes, but I'm still so fucking pissed about the close out that I don't want to talk about it.

(10-12-2011 07:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Long nights and pleasant days to ye, Sai.
Thankee, Sai.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-12-2011, 09:37 PM
(15-12-2011 09:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-12-2011 07:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Any Dark Tower-ites lurking out there?
Yes, but I'm still so fucking pissed about the close out that I don't want to talk about it.

(10-12-2011 07:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Long nights and pleasant days to ye, Sai.
Thankee, Sai.

I hear ya, Girly. It took me a long while to unwrap my head from the disturbing end. But I fell so in love with the whole mythos of the land and people that I eventually got over it. I really groove on the idea of trans-dimensional travels. Such a trip!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-12-2011, 02:16 AM
(10-12-2011 07:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ...and the gunslinger followed."

Any Dark Tower-ites lurking out there?

If so, let this be the thread for all things Dark Tower (other SK novels allowed, particularly if they apply to the series. i.e. "Salem's Lot," "Hearts in Atlantis," "Insomnia," and probably others.

Long nights and pleasant days to ye, Sai.

Oh me me me me me me!!!!!!!!! Tower Junkie right here! AND he's writing a new one, an inbetweener involving werewolves!!!!
20-12-2011, 02:40 AM
(20-12-2011 02:16 AM)Nagoda Wrote:  Oh me me me me me me!!!!!!!!! Tower Junkie right here! AND he's writing a new one, an inbetweener involving werewolves!!!!

Sweet sauce! I thought I heard a rumor about such a mythical writing. There has also been some talk about a 3 part movie deal mixed with a TV series, but I'm not sure where that stands now. Of course, there are always mixed feelings when it comes to turning epic story-lines into a shortened movie version.

~Izel
20-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Argh, I never finished that series. But it's right there, in the back of my mind, building its way towards getting me to re-read and/or finish it

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.