"The man in black fled across the desert...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 08:41 AM
RE: "The man in black fled across the desert...
DOOOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, sir Big Grin

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
20-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Does anyone else automatically replace the word desert with dessert in all sentences?
21-12-2011, 02:51 AM
(20-12-2011 09:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Does anyone else automatically replace the word desert with dessert in all sentences?

No.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-12-2011, 08:46 PM
(20-12-2011 08:26 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Argh, I never finished that series. But it's right there, in the back of my mind, building its way towards getting me to re-read and/or finish it
(20-12-2011 08:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  DOOOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!
(20-12-2011 09:07 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Yes, sir Big Grin

Don't do it, you'll never be able to read SK again without remembering how he sold you out in a long con. Hell, it was like 3x as long as that fucking "Lost" con.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
25-12-2011, 09:48 PM
(25-12-2011 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 08:26 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Argh, I never finished that series. But it's right there, in the back of my mind, building its way towards getting me to re-read and/or finish it
(20-12-2011 08:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  DOOOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!
(20-12-2011 09:07 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Yes, sir Big Grin

Don't do it, you'll never be able to read SK again without remembering how he sold you out in a long con. Hell, it was like 3x as long as that fucking "Lost" con.

I'm pretty sure "Lost" was guided by the spirit of the series. Jack was The Gunslinger. Big Grin

~Izel
30-12-2011, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011 01:36 AM by GirlyMan.)
(25-12-2011 09:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm pretty sure "Lost" was guided by the spirit of the series. Jack was The Gunslinger. Big Grin

Nope. Hugo was The Gunslinger.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Dark Tower fan here! Although I haven't re-read the series since the last book came out. That last book was the first time I've ever bought a book on its release date, paid full price, and began reading it right away. That was after I had finished the 6th book and had proceeded to try and read every book of his that had any connection whatsoever - including Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game, both of which I think had at most one throwaway sentence that referred to the DT universe. The best one, in my memory, was Black House, which I think could have been subtitled The Dark Tower 5a. Even though it was co-written with Peter Straub, I get the impression that King just kind of said "hey Pete, why don't you let me handle this." Haha.

I used to have a link that outlined which books had a connection. I'll have to find it somewhere.

I actually liked the series ending though.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
30-12-2011, 09:42 AM
(30-12-2011 08:42 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Dark Tower fan here! Although I haven't re-read the series since the last book came out. That last book was the first time I've ever bought a book on its release date, paid full price, and began reading it right away. That was after I had finished the 6th book and had proceeded to try and read every book of his that had any connection whatsoever - including Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game, both of which I think had at most one throwaway sentence that referred to the DT universe. The best one, in my memory, was Black House, which I think could have been subtitled The Dark Tower 5a. Even though it was co-written with Peter Straub, I get the impression that King just kind of said "hey Pete, why don't you let me handle this." Haha.

I used to have a link that outlined which books had a connection. I'll have to find it somewhere.

If you find that link, let me know. I grew up as a "horror wuss" so I was hesitant to get into too much of SK's stuff. Loved The Stand when I read that, but never got into anything else until I read the DT series. Someone told me to read Salem's Lot before book 4 or 5? which I did and was really glad for the experience. Yeah, spooky, but no where near the terror and doom I had expected from my "kid fears." I saw the Hearts Of Atlantis movie, which wasn't the best film ever, but I enjoyed the Low Men connection. Fun stuff!

~Izel
30-12-2011, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2011 01:04 PM by TheSixthGlass.)
(30-12-2011 09:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 08:42 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Dark Tower fan here! Although I haven't re-read the series since the last book came out. That last book was the first time I've ever bought a book on its release date, paid full price, and began reading it right away. That was after I had finished the 6th book and had proceeded to try and read every book of his that had any connection whatsoever - including Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game, both of which I think had at most one throwaway sentence that referred to the DT universe. The best one, in my memory, was Black House, which I think could have been subtitled The Dark Tower 5a. Even though it was co-written with Peter Straub, I get the impression that King just kind of said "hey Pete, why don't you let me handle this." Haha.

If you find that link, let me know. I grew up as a "horror wuss" so I was hesitant to get into too much of SK's stuff. Loved The Stand when I read that, but never got into anything else until I read the DT series. Someone told me to read Salem's Lot before book 4 or 5? which I did and was really glad for the experience. Yeah, spooky, but no where near the terror and doom I had expected from my "kid fears." I saw the Hearts Of Atlantis movie, which wasn't the best film ever, but I enjoyed the Low Men connection. Fun stuff!

I'll let you know. Yeah, as far as horror goes - well I'm a bit of a horror buff. I pretty much love horror of all kinds - stories, books, movies, just about any flavor if it's done well. Slashers, supernatural, survival, blood & guts, whatever! But I think it's really funny when people tell me that SK is "way too scary" for them. I think he's a great writer who does horror especially well, but (and maybe I'm desensitized to it), I don't find much of it actually frightening. A chill here and there, yes, and plenty of drama and "holy shit!" moments but it's not like I can't read them because I'm too frightened. Salem's Lot was a good one though, nice and spooky. Bag of Bones was creepy too, but the supernatural stuff gets to me usually.

Man I need to get to reading, I haven't read anything in a while.

edit: Here's the "official" list on the Dark Tower website (contains possible spoilers): http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/connections.html

The only books on that list I haven't read are Rose Madder, The Eyes of the Dragon, and Skeleton Crew, although I have read The Mist which was included in Skeleton Crew. If you're going to read those books, be sure to read The Talisman before you read Black House, as BH is a sequel to The Talisman.

There's also a link on that page to "user submitted connections" which seems to list mostly the more minor connections or similarities in King's other works: http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/sub...tions.html

Also, here's a wikipedia link, which mentions a couple more books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Dark...onnections

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post