"The man in black fled across the desert...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2011, 03:03 PM
RE: "The man in black fled across the desert...
I just finished King's latest book called "11/22/63". Has a lot of the same elements of Talisman and Dark Tower as far as time travel. Pretty good read.

Most people think of King as a horror author because of the movies made from his writings. Although arguably the best movie of all time, Shawshank Redemption, is a King story. I really consider him more of a suspense writer. I do love the way he interweaves other books into his stories as well.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2011, 03:35 PM
(30-12-2011 12:57 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 09:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 08:42 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Dark Tower fan here! Although I haven't re-read the series since the last book came out. That last book was the first time I've ever bought a book on its release date, paid full price, and began reading it right away. That was after I had finished the 6th book and had proceeded to try and read every book of his that had any connection whatsoever - including Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game, both of which I think had at most one throwaway sentence that referred to the DT universe. The best one, in my memory, was Black House, which I think could have been subtitled The Dark Tower 5a. Even though it was co-written with Peter Straub, I get the impression that King just kind of said "hey Pete, why don't you let me handle this." Haha.

I used to have a link that outlined which books had a connection. I'll have to find it somewhere.

I actually liked the series ending though.

If you find that link, let me know. I grew up as a "horror wuss" so I was hesitant to get into too much of SK's stuff. Loved The Stand when I read that, but never got into anything else until I read the DT series. Someone told me to read Salem's Lot before book 4 or 5? which I did and was really glad for the experience. Yeah, spooky, but no where near the terror and doom I had expected from my "kid fears." I saw the Hearts Of Atlantis movie, which wasn't the best film ever, but I enjoyed the Low Men connection. Fun stuff!

I'll let you know. Yeah, as far as horror goes - well I'm a bit of a horror buff. I pretty much love horror of all kinds - stories, books, movies, just about any flavor if it's done well. Slashers, supernatural, survival, blood & guts, whatever! But I think it's really funny when people tell me that SK is "way too scary" for them. I think he's a great writer who does horror especially well, but (and maybe I'm desensitized to it), I don't find much of it actually frightening. A chill here and there, yes, and plenty of drama and "holy shit!" moments but it's not like I can't read them because I'm too frightened. Salem's Lot was a good one though, nice and spooky. Bag of Bones was creepy too, but the supernatural stuff gets to me usually.

Man I need to get to reading, I haven't read anything in a while.

edit: Here's the "official" list on the Dark Tower website (contains possible spoilers): http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/connections.html

The only books on that list I haven't read are Rose Madder, The Eyes of the Dragon, and Skeleton Crew, although I have read The Mist which was included in Skeleton Crew. If you're going to read those books, be sure to read The Talisman before you read Black House, as BH is a sequel to The Talisman.

There's also a link on that page to "user submitted connections" which seems to list mostly the more minor connections or similarities in King's other works: http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/sub...tions.html

Also, here's a wikipedia link, which mentions a couple more books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Dark...onnections

Thanks, TSG, all that Googling would have worn me out. Much easier to have you do the work for me. Smile

Free, I'm going to give 11/22/63 a try. I've been needing to find something new that catches my interest, and it seems right up my alley.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-12-2011, 03:45 PM
(30-12-2011 09:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you find that link, let me know. I grew up as a "horror wuss" so I was hesitant to get into too much of SK's stuff. Loved The Stand when I read that, but never got into anything else until I read the DT series. Someone told me to read Salem's Lot before book 4 or 5? which I did and was really glad for the experience. Yeah, spooky, but no where near the terror and doom I had expected from my "kid fears." I saw the Hearts Of Atlantis movie, which wasn't the best film ever, but I enjoyed the Low Men connection. Fun stuff!

Some SK books are nightmare-inducing for immature audiences. He taps into childhood fears and every phobia you may have.

Fear of clowns? Read "IT". You'll either purge yourself by experiencing an extreme or you'll increase your problem.

Ghosts and haunted places? "The Shining" (and not the fucking movie either. That was weak, missed a lot of points and only spoils the ending for you. Read the book to piss your pants.) Haunted objects? "Christine". Telekinetic powers gone berserk? "Carrie". Zombies and horrible personal drama? "Pet Sematary". Zombie apocalypse? "The Talisman". And so on.

Many of the titles turned into movies but I generally saw them after reading the books and I was disappointed pretty much every time. It's not that they were bad movies. It's the fact that sometimes I was reading the book and my heart was racing and that never happened in the movies.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
30-12-2011, 03:48 PM
(30-12-2011 03:45 PM)Malleus Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 09:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you find that link, let me know. I grew up as a "horror wuss" so I was hesitant to get into too much of SK's stuff. Loved The Stand when I read that, but never got into anything else until I read the DT series. Someone told me to read Salem's Lot before book 4 or 5? which I did and was really glad for the experience. Yeah, spooky, but no where near the terror and doom I had expected from my "kid fears." I saw the Hearts Of Atlantis movie, which wasn't the best film ever, but I enjoyed the Low Men connection. Fun stuff!

Some SK books are nightmare-inducing for immature audiences. He taps into childhood fears and every phobia you may have.

Fear of clowns? Read "IT". You'll either purge yourself by experiencing an extreme or you'll increase your problem.

Ghosts and haunted places? "The Shining" (and not the fucking movie either. That was weak, missed a lot of points and only spoils the ending for you. Read the book to piss your pants.) Haunted objects? "Christine". Telekinetic powers gone berserk? "Carrie". Zombies and horrible personal drama? "Pet Sematary". Zombie apocalypse? "The Talisman". And so on.

Many of the titles turned into movies but I generally saw them after reading the books and I was disappointed pretty much every time. It's not that they were bad movies. It's the fact that sometimes I was reading the book and my heart was racing and that never happened in the movies.

"IT" definitely terrorized me as a kid, not because of the supernatural, but because of the clown!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Reviving this thread.

I'm starting the series for the second time. So excited.

Last time I read it was 4 years ago. Powered through the whole thing the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college.

Started The Gunslinger tonight- my favorite. I'm gonna rank them from Best to Worst and see if my opinion changes by the time I'm done.

1. The Gunslinger
2. Wizard and Glass
3. The Waste Lands
4. The Dark Tower
5. The Drawing of the Three
6. Wolves of the Calla
7. Song of Susannah (so bad... Angry )

Aaaaaand, here we go!

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
22-08-2012, 11:29 PM
(22-08-2012 11:00 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  Reviving this thread.

I'm starting the series for the second time. So excited.

Last time I read it was 4 years ago. Powered through the whole thing the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college.

Started The Gunslinger tonight- my favorite. I'm gonna rank them from Best to Worst and see if my opinion changes by the time I'm done.

1. The Gunslinger
2. Wizard and Glass
3. The Waste Lands
4. The Dark Tower
5. The Drawing of the Three
6. Wolves of the Calla
7. Song of Susannah (so bad... Angry )

Aaaaaand, here we go!

Sweet! I've actually been planning for a bit to reread the series. Thanks to a thoughtful TTA member, I have the whole set plus graphic novels which is very cool because I first heard the Dark Tower series as audiobooks, so it will be interesting to see if I have a different experience. Consider

~Izel
22-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Man, I need to get the comics before I progress too far. I know they're not necessary, but I'd like everything Dark Tower related all at once.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
14-06-2013, 11:42 PM
I am lucky that my local library actually had many of the graphic novels. They were really great, loved the art the Marvel relationship brought to the table.

So I have to ask...because I never get to talk to fellow Tower junkies. What do you prefer: The original Gunslinger or the updated version King released? I have the updated version in hardback from when he released them all in anticipation of the final three books coming out...But I still have my very worn, original softcover version of the Gunslinger. I've read it to rags almost, but I love it so damn much.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
16-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I can't be certain which version I listened to on cd (from the Library). When I started this thread, some kind soulless heathen sent me their entire collection including the concordance and The Road to the Dark Tower. Book 1 says it's the expanded and updated. One of these days I plan to read through the whole thing since I only listened to it the first time.

I also listened to Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis because of their tie-ins to the saga. Thumbsup

~Izel
16-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I read hearts in Atlantis, years ago. I don't recall tho ending, except I felt..I dunno, unsatisfied -- maybe?

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen