The meaning of true love

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 12:54 AM
RE: The meaning of true love
(13-02-2014 09:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 09:18 PM)donotwant Wrote:  They are not far from each other Wink

I dunno man. I mean, I love bacon....but I ain't fuckin no pig. [Image: sad-nope-smiley-emoticon.gif]

....not even if it's 2am and you've had waaay too much to drink? A hypothetical of course, I've certainly never done anything like that. Confused

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Love for me, in the romantic sense, is the emotional product of one person's experience complemented by that of another, with some chemicals thrown in. Deterministic causality and biology don't have to take any of the romance away either. Considering the sensory chaos of your average human life, it is kind of cool to think that each individual with all of their fuck ups, glitches and baggage can be complemented by that of an emotional counterpart.
28-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Love is when you don't want to be anywhere else but with this person and want to experience the person and hug them and FUCK THEM! YEAH!
03-03-2014, 06:46 AM
(13-02-2014 11:53 AM)max_payne Wrote:  Hello everybody, I just want to share a quote with you from a man named "Dan Barker" who use to be an evangelical preacher but is now an atheist. I was just a little curious to hear from the rest of you whether or not you agree with what he has said. I know I do lol!!! And besides from that what is your opinion on this quote overall and what does it mean to you? I would love to hear! Smile

“I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being.”
― Dan Barker

In a world full of actions and consequences...
Sometimes love will result in self-denial.
Sometimes love will result in blood and suffering.
Sometimes love will result in allowing someone you love to sacrifice for the greater good.
Sometimes love does result in the hatred of a thing or a wrath over behavior.
Sometimes love will warn people of the consequences of their actions.
Sometimes love will answer people who ask how to achieve greater peace and joy through living commandments.
Sometimes love blesses those who seek order a way to achieve order in a peaceful and voluntary fashion, without giving up all personality or individuality.
Respect, admiration, compassion, and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being, can result in all of the above.

The flaw in Dan Barker's quote is the implied premise that Christianity created the balance of cause and effect, but cause and effect exist whether you believe in Christ or not, therefore the applications of love in responding to such a world can and does include hard things.
03-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Is this the Max Payne of "Hookers and Cookies" fame?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Love is a social construct, and we're all delusional.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
04-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Don't fucking matter what they do, I'll still love them. That's what it means. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-03-2014, 12:56 AM
I don't know what it is, just don't hurt me no more, baby.

[Image: giphy.gif]
21-03-2014, 04:29 PM
(13-02-2014 11:53 AM)max_payne Wrote:  Hello everybody, I just want to share a quote with you from a man named "Dan Barker" who use to be an evangelical preacher but is now an atheist. I was just a little curious to hear from the rest of you whether or not you agree with what he has said. I know I do lol!!! And besides from that what is your opinion on this quote overall and what does it mean to you? I would love to hear! Smile

“I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being.”
― Dan Barker

That's outstanding!
When I was following Christianity, I saw things oh so differently. But, now. After abandoning falsehoods for truth...love is none of those things.

The brainwashing/indoctrination that goes on in religions, is really something. Sad

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart