The memorial monument of selfishness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2010, 03:10 PM
The memorial monument of selfishness
What the...? Greenpeace has mounted a ''memorial monument of selfishness'' in Helsinki, which contains the names of the parlamentarians who voted 'yes' for nuclear power and a text ''a group this small made the decision which will harm the next generations''.
[Image: 1135261073427.jpeg]
I don't get why nuclear power is such a big deal for them. When some anti-nuclear power people were protesting outside the visiting center of Olkiluoto, they were invited in to get to know how the nuclear power plants work, how a ''new TÅ¡ernobyl'' is practically impossible with modern plants and how the nuclear waste is stored deep to the basic rock, but they didn't want to know.
Just a few weeks ago they were blocking roads leading to Olkiluoto! Why aren't they that enthusiastic on coal plants.Huh
And with what would they replace 1/3 of the production of electricity in Finland? To replace nuclear power in Finland with wind power, aboutover 120thousand windmills would have to be built in windy places. And I don't think it could be replaced with hydroelectric plants either, dams in almost every river doesn't sound very realistic.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2010, 04:08 PM

RE: The memorial monument of selfishness
(21-10-2010 03:10 PM)Kikko Wrote:  but they didn't want to know.

That line answers a lot of questions in many a thread on this site!
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't get the objections to nuclear power, either. To me, developing nuclear energy is smart energy policy. There are down sides to it, absolutely, but at this point I don't think they are even as great as those associated with burning coal, oil, etc.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
22-10-2010, 04:08 PM
There was a group in Canada that researched nuclear fuel recycling. They boasted to recover 95% of the fuel. I saw this on the Discovery Channel a while back , but don't remember the group's name.

Still , nuclear fission is the way to go until the next big step , nuclear fusion.
I wish some green activists were more moderate - it would help their cause , and this planet's SOOOOOO much more Sad
23-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:nuclear fusion.
If I haven't been dreaming, a prototype that might possibly reach the high temperature needed for profitable energy production is being built or supposed to be built in France.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
23-10-2010, 08:07 AM
(23-10-2010 05:52 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:nuclear fusion.
If I haven't been dreaming, a prototype that might possibly reach the high temperature needed for profitable energy production is being built or supposed to be built in France.

Spot on , ITER(International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) is building the world's largest experimental fusion reactor in , Cadarache, France.

http://fusionforenergy.europa.eu/ (no pollutants Big Grin)