The mind boggles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
The mind boggles
This may sound kinda weird but does anyone else really struggle with religion? I mean like with politics I have my views but can understand that other people have different views and I understand the reasons for this but with religion I just don't get it. How can it be that in such an enlightened age the majority of society can be so retarded? How can people not clearly see the irony of saying how clearly deluded cults are without realising that they are exactly the same just on a bigger scale? How can people who in many cases are, in all other ways, rational and intelligent be quite so irrational on just one particular topic?

I can't describe it but part of me just cannot comprehend it. It almost feels unreal, as though one day the whole world is gonna just simultaneously all jump up and shout 'APRILS FOOLS'.

Do other people feel this way or do people see it as just another difference of opinion that occurs in life, it feels like more than that to me if that makes sense.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
RE: The mind boggles
It comes down to education. If people are raised to respect a certain faith and observe its customs , most of them will do so. And beyond that many groups practice self-censorship and avoid the "liberal" media. So most of their information is censored to a great degree and is presented to them poorly. I honestly doubt religious people are stupid , I think they are just put in a position where they don't have access to information or risk loosing all social ties if they dare to question their faith.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-05-2011, 05:07 PM
That's just it though. The fact that people who cannot be written off as just stupid subscribe to religion is the most baffling. My Dad is a perfectly rational/intelligent guy in most ways yet he's a creationist, he's had a decent education, has a decent job, has access to information and isn't 'brainwashed' in any way (he doesn't go to church or anything) and has nothing to lose socially from taking a more rational viewpoint. Obviously I don't see him as any less of a person or anything because of it, I just struggle that he (and presumably many others like him) subscribe to such irrational views. I can understand it when someone has limited access to information, low intellect or strong religious social ties, it's the people who don't have any of this that I just don't get.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
06-05-2011, 05:07 PM
The main feeding source for theism are mis/un-information, emotion and groupspressure.

information:
it's only about 100 years that the vast majority of people in the west can read. Before the had to rely on what pastor said to know about the bible. 100 years... That's about 3 generations of people. My grandmother still knew people that could not read. Then... when people could read, information was still rather difficult to find. It's only in the 60's that public library's became mainstream. You could go and research other philosophies for yourself. Still a time consuming job only for students, intellectuals and real interested people. Enter the Internet: This is around for some 20 years now. Now guess where Atheism really took of. Some 10/15 years ago.

Emotion:
You really have to be ready to face, debates, threats with hell and devil, letting go of habits and rituals to fill them up yourself,... If you want to let go of religion. Most people don't really bother. "It can't hurt so I am cooperating" and they leave it be. The anthropomorphism of the world also "feels good" it "makes sense" to the human not carving to find objective truths.

Group pressure:
A slogan like "One nation under god" caters to the human craving to belong to a group. Leaving that group is not easy. This is why we are on this forum, for example. We want to be a group. Again the sharing of information inside your atheist group is made easy by Internet. It used to be hard to get organized on a statement where the only thing that binds you is something you DON'T have (compare this to a sports club that exists solely out of NON golf players. What would you practice every Sunday Smile )

I am pretty confident that religion will become a curiosity in the future. Give it 2 or 3 generations of children that grow up without ever seeing a church from the inside...
You know what. Call it... evolution.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
(06-05-2011 05:07 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I am pretty confident that religion will become a curiosity in the future. Give it 2 or 3 generations of children that grow up without ever seeing a church from the inside...

That would be very nice.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
(07-05-2011 04:21 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(06-05-2011 05:07 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I am pretty confident that religion will become a curiosity in the future. Give it 2 or 3 generations of children that grow up without ever seeing a church from the inside...

That would be very nice.

I agree, it would be very nice; however, I feel you are being very optimistic. I'm afraid we will always have religion and superstition hanging on humanity like a fat leech.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Wait until this generations generation becomes older... everything will be so much different I believe. You have to also realize that a lot of people just want a simple answer and don't care about the science and choose not to even pay attention to it, especially the south. Also, people want to have a reason to be alive and feel comfortable that they will have somewhere nice to go when they die... it's hard for any living species to accept death. Our instinct is to survive so it's only natural in my opinion. Just give it some time and let these old ass people move on with their rituals and see where it goes from there.

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
08-05-2011, 01:23 AM
(07-05-2011 05:51 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  

That would be very nice.

I agree, it would be very nice; however, I feel you are being very optimistic. I'm afraid we will always have religion and superstition hanging on humanity like a fat leech.
I agree that I am perhaps too optimistic. It could be 4 to 5 generations as well. But it WILL become a curiosity (not really disappear), and people like us are just the start.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
(07-05-2011 05:51 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  

That would be very nice.

There are a lot of superstitions that are still around. There are fringe groups everywhere. What we are looking for is not having a superstition be a major force in our government.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes gamsman's post
08-05-2011, 03:05 PM
(06-05-2011 04:01 PM)hughsie Wrote:  How can people who in many cases are, in all other ways, rational and intelligent be quite so irrational on just one particular topic?
Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be the one who is being irrational?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user