The mind boggles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
RE: The mind boggles
Hi Teophilius. Good to see you again.
(08-05-2011 03:05 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be the one who is being irrational?

All the time. Being rational is a constant process of sifting emotions out of opinions. Rationality and logic are often mistook for "common sense". Common sense is related but its a top down process while real rationality is "bottom up".

The human mind works at two speeds (or systems). The one that immediately jumps into action is the one with the emotions. The slower part is more rational. (note that I don't write that it is always rational. The problem is that the second part needs to be taught.)

What often happens is that the first system comes with a conclusion and the second system follows, rationalizing it. This is called "post action rationalization (top down)". It is something you need to be aware of when you want to reason. I've made that mistake before and since then I am on the lookout to prevent it from happening again.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 04:22 PM
(08-05-2011 03:05 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be the one who is being irrational?

I have (after watching a creationist video and the rationality of not believing in something the majority do believe in (actually a decent video)) but ultimately decided that when the evidence is overwhelmingly one way it doesn't matter if I am in the minority, it is still rational to disbelieve in creation and God.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Yes, very often. I take very careful measures to make sure than when I adopt/change a position, it's as objective and reasonable as possible.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-05-2011, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 10:31 PM by No J..)
(08-05-2011 03:05 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-05-2011 04:01 PM)hughsie Wrote:  How can people who in many cases are, in all other ways, rational and intelligent be quite so irrational on just one particular topic?
Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be the one who is being irrational?

Yes we have. HAVE YOU???
(08-05-2011 12:52 PM)gamsman Wrote:  There are a lot of superstitions that are still around. There are fringe groups everywhere. What we are looking for is not having a superstition be a major force in our government.

This is the most important point, especially when you add "and school systems".

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
(08-05-2011 10:28 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(08-05-2011 03:05 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-05-2011 04:01 PM)hughsie Wrote:  How can people who in many cases are, in all other ways, rational and intelligent be quite so irrational on just one particular topic?
Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be the one who is being irrational?

Yes we have. HAVE YOU???
Yes. I haven't found any other satisfactory explanation for the existence except that it was created by God.

All the proposed explanations of how everything came about by natural processes without any divine intervention ultimately involve theories which can't be tested scientifically. There is also some scientific evidence that can't be explained by their theories. If you want to find out what scientific evidence exists that would show we were created by God, I recommend these two sites:

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Here we go again Rolleyes

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-05-2011, 03:51 PM
(09-05-2011 10:45 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Yes. I haven't found any other satisfactory explanation for the existence except that it was created by God.

All the proposed explanations of how everything came about by natural processes without any divine intervention ultimately involve theories which can't be tested scientifically.

Examples please. I can't really address such a general claim.
(09-05-2011 10:45 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There is also some scientific evidence that can't be explained by their theories.

Doesn't mean anything other than we have an incomplete view of the universe.
(09-05-2011 10:45 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If you want to find out what scientific evidence exists that would show we were created by God, I recommend these two sites:

As no one here has time to make counter arguments for every single thing said on the website, please point us to specific pages.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
(09-05-2011 03:51 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(09-05-2011 10:45 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If you want to find out what scientific evidence exists that would show we were created by God, I recommend these two sites:

As no one here has time to make counter arguments for every single thing said on the website, please point us to specific pages.
Why do you think you have to make a counter argument for what the sites say? You can read any part of these sites and find evidence that doesn't fit the generally accepted theories about evolution.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2011, 04:46 PM
(10-05-2011 09:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Why do you think you have to make a counter argument for what the sites say? You can read any part of these sites and find evidence that doesn't fit the generally accepted theories about evolution.

Sorry, I was under the impression you wanted to take some points up personally. As is, I've read over several articles on AiG and haven't found any to be very compelling. I'm reading over some stuff in the other site, but I've already spotted some faults.

11-05-2011, 12:29 PM
For a very well-done You Tube series that looks in depth at this topic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLGb1uOSHQ

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin