"The mind is proof of god's existence."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 07:11 AM
RE: "The mind is proof of god's existence."
(07-02-2013 10:08 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  I admit when I'm wrong. This is not one of those times. Drinking Beverage

"Survival of the fittest" is not a Darwinism, and it is a mischaracterization used by anti-evolutionists.

It is not a valid or useful phrase in use by evolutionary biologists.

Stop changing the subject.

Your original claim was that Darwin didn't use that phrase in Origin of Species.

"Survival of the Fittest" still shows up in text books. As long as it's taught properly, the phrase sums it up nicely.

But you're entitled to your own opinion on it. This wasn't what we were debating you and I.

Claiming that "survival of the fittest" is in On the Origin of Species without noting it as a quote is misleading as it implies Darwin said it.

And, no, it does not sum it up nicely as it is misleading, simplistic, and easy to misuse, e.g. Social Darwinism.

It is a phrase to be abjured.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe this will help clarify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 08:43 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-02-2013 08:26 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Maybe this will help clarify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest

From the Wikipedia page...

"The phrase "survival of the fittest" is not generally used by modern biologists as the term does not accurately convey the meaning of natural selection, the term biologists use and prefer. Natural selection refers to differential reproduction as a function of traits that have a genetic basis. "Survival of the fittest" is inaccurate for two important reasons. First, survival is merely a normal prerequisite to reproduction. Second, fitness has specialized meaning in biology different from how the word is used in popular culture. In population genetics, fitness refers to differential reproduction. "Fitness" does not refer to whether an individual is "physically fit" – bigger, faster or stronger – or "better" in any subjective sense. It refers to a difference in reproductive rate from one generation to the next."

So can we all just agree that the phrase is not scientifically accurate (unlike the use of 'theory'), and thus should not be perpetuated on that basis alone; regardless of it's prior use or seeming importance?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-02-2013, 06:35 PM
(08-02-2013 07:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 10:08 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Stop changing the subject.

Your original claim was that Darwin didn't use that phrase in Origin of Species.

"Survival of the Fittest" still shows up in text books. As long as it's taught properly, the phrase sums it up nicely.

But you're entitled to your own opinion on it. This wasn't what we were debating you and I.

Claiming that "survival of the fittest" is in On the Origin of Species without noting it as a quote is misleading as it implies Darwin said it.

And, no, it does not sum it up nicely as it is misleading, simplistic, and easy to misuse, e.g. Social Darwinism.

No man. YOU asserted that it wasn't in Darwin's book.

I never even brought that book up. I simply said that Darwin himself used the phrase.

I don't care about the other aspects of this debate. You were wrong with your assertion and I linked you to sources proving as such.

As for the other part of this debate...

I don't use that phrase. I was just pointing out that it still exists in textbooks and that Darwin himself used it.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-02-2013, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 07:18 PM by Chas.)
(08-02-2013 06:35 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 07:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  Claiming that "survival of the fittest" is in On the Origin of Species without noting it as a quote is misleading as it implies Darwin said it.

No man. YOU asserted that it wasn't in Darwin's book.

I never even brought that book up. I simply said that Darwin himself used the phrase.

I don't care about the other aspects of this debate. You were wrong with your assertion and I linked you to sources proving as such.

I don't use that phrase. I was just pointing out that it still exists in textbooks and that Darwin himself used it.

Fine, it's in the 5th edition as a quote of what someone else called evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 11:13 PM
(08-02-2013 07:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 06:35 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  No man. YOU asserted that it wasn't in Darwin's book.

Fine, it's in the 5th edition as a quote of what someone else called evolution.
Chas...

You make me want to give birth to a panda just so I can club it. Hobo

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
10-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Ladies, ladies please. You're both pretty. Can we move on now?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
(10-02-2013 11:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Ladies, ladies please. You're both pretty. Can we move on now?

[Image: Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
11-02-2013, 12:17 AM
(10-02-2013 11:46 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 11:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Ladies, ladies please. You're both pretty. Can we move on now?

[Image: Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg]

Tongue
EvoKills, I read that "NO" in your sexy ProfMTH voice xD.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
22-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Well, if someone were to say this to me, I would be highly offended. My mind has been messing with my emotions and trying to get me to kill myself for three years, at least one of which was a Christian year.

Did God create sociopaths, then? That is a mental condition.

My dad had a stroke. If a god did that to him, fuck heaven.
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post