"The mind is proof of god's existence."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 02:07 AM
RE: "The mind is proof of god's existence."
(20-01-2013 05:59 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Hello guys.

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.

Mind is critically flawed, being entirely dependent upon the brain. As the brain goes so goes mind. Or, life with half a brain=no mind.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 07:52 AM

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.

That's an unsupported assertion, not an argument. It's worse than that, it's an arbitrary assertion unconnected to any evidence. Tell your friend that the arbitrary is inadmissible as evidence. She just as easily could have said that the mind is evidence of the great Armadillo in the sky and cognitively she would have been saying the same thing, nothing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-07-2014, 09:41 AM
(20-01-2013 10:42 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  My usual refutation of "look around you at god's beauty" is "So the horror around you is attributable to god too?"

Genocide, ticks, cancer, starvation, pedophile priests, innocent suffering of humans esp children, suffering in the animal kingdom, mass extinctions, orphans, viruses, tapeworms, mosquitoes, filarial worms, rapists and US politicians just to name a few.

LOL! US politicians! Hahahaha. Laughat

Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-07-2014, 09:53 AM
(17-07-2014 07:52 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  

Thanks.

That's an unsupported assertion, not an argument. It's worse than that, it's an arbitrary assertion unconnected to any evidence. Tell your friend that the arbitrary is inadmissible as evidence. She just as easily could have said that the mind is evidence of the great Armadillo in the sky and cognitively she would have been saying the same thing, nothing.

All kind of things are in the our heads and when a belief or thought is reinforced with visual images, like some guy on a cross, Buddha under a tree, Zeus, Muhammad with virgins in heaven, santa clause and yes, the Great Armadillo it starts to be real for people. Especially people who do very little critical thinking.

[Image: tumblr_mar1us58cX1r1vgiwo1_1280.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Toenail clippings are proof of fire breathing chickens.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
18-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Our Southern Baptist babysitter knew I was a skeptic (bad) married to a Roman Catholic (worse). She asked if I had a definition for God which an atheist member of her family wanted.

“God is the capacity of the human brain to think in the transcendent”. A more complete definition, which an atheist would appreciate, would be “God is the capacity of the human brain, from evolution, to think in the transcendent”. I told her that her own view of evolution was not relevant and might want to use the first definition in order to avoid another discussion. I gave her the simplest definition I could think of at the time and this was 28 years ago. I still think it is a pretty good definition.

I understand how one would have hoped, especially after Galileo, that “God” would have been replaced by “Science Fiction”. It was for some, but not for others. There will always be those who use that capacity, from evolution, to think of some greater power.
18-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Let me get this straight. If your mind is proof that some imaginary thing exists, then my middle finger must be proof that you're an idiot

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-07-2014, 10:37 AM
(18-07-2014 04:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Let me get this straight. If your mind is proof that some imaginary thing exists, then my middle finger must be proof that you're an idiot

It could be, if you agree w/ the following:

1) Logic exists everywhere in the universe.
2) Logic is thought.
3) Thought only comes from a mind.
Therefore, a mind created the universe.

I think premise #2 Ithe weaker premise, so I'll add the following:
Logic, in its various forms (including mathematics) has been something we discover, not something invented by man. It is not matter or energy. It does not require any dimensions in order to exist, and can exist outside the universe.
21-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Believing that your mind is flawed is self contradictory. If your mind is flawed, you cannot even know if your mind is flawed.

Truth seeker.
21-07-2014, 01:59 PM
(21-07-2014 01:55 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Believing that your mind is flawed is self contradictory. If your mind is flawed, you cannot even know if your mind is flawed.

Now you're just talking GirlySpeak. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus