"The mind is proof of god's existence."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 12:21 AM
RE: "The mind is proof of god's existence."
(20-01-2013 05:59 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Hello guys.

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.
Would this be the same mind that permits the possibility (the more aggressive and accurate one at that) of feeding the language of a godless lifestyle? Has she ever read Prometheus or Queen Mab or The Necessity of Atheism by Percy Bysshe Shelley? The mind of which that delivered his written labor bequeaths the same appetite as her own proclaiming authority in a religious argument? The mind is powerful indeed, but a mind that dedicates more time to say erotic fantasies than to high school homework does not label that the mind of a potential rapist now does it?

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Hello guys.

Thank you for your responses. I haven't gotten a lot of time to look back into the site due to school.

From this thread, I learned that I should look into psychology as well. I think this will be an interesting reading project. Do you guys have any good resources for me to get started?

The responses have been very insightful. I don't know if I can open the conversation again, but if I can, then I'll try to tell her what I learned from here.

Thanks again.
22-01-2013, 04:22 PM

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.
The fact that we think (well some of us) in no way indicates the usual attributes placed on God.

It is usually held that God is perfectly good, so a vivifying evil force would not meet that criterion.

Thus ,our thinking processes appear neutral, and non God supporting.
22-01-2013, 04:34 PM
How is saying that the "mind" is proof of god, any different than saying "feet" prove god?

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
[+] 3 users Like Human Being's post
22-01-2013, 08:50 PM
The human race is in trouble if our minds are proof of god's existence!! Especially mine...

Godless in the Magnolia State
22-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I was about to agree, but then I re-read the title. I thought it said "The mine is the proof of gold's existence".

Never mind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2013, 10:41 PM
[Image: tumblr_lr0wuvjJS21qjmzzfo1_500.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks.
The difference, as I see it, is where the "understanding" begins.

Atheist: "We know of the mind. How do we understand it? We must look at the anatomy of the brain and continue from there."

Theist: "We know of the mind... no wait... We know of God. God created the mind. How do we understand it? Well God created it so the mind is proof of God."

"God" is where most theists' "understanding" almost always begins.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
23-01-2013, 11:29 AM
(23-01-2013 11:26 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

Thanks.
The difference, as I see it, is where the "understanding" begins.

Atheist: "We know of the mind. How do we understand it? We must look at the anatomy of the brain and continue from there."

Theist: "We know of the mind... no wait... We know of God. God created the mind. How do we understand it? Well God created it so the mind is proof of God."

"God" is where most theists' "understanding" almost always begins.

And as we all know:

If God is your starting line, you aint going to do any starting, any time soon.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
23-01-2013, 02:42 PM
LOL Free Thought! Laugh out load

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post