"The mind is proof of god's existence."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 05:59 AM
"The mind is proof of god's existence."
Hello guys.

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 06:42 AM
RE: "The mind is proof of god's existence."
(20-01-2013 05:59 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Hello guys.

I told a new acquaintance of mine that I was reading The God Delusion. She was appalled at the title, telling me that god is not a delusion. I asked her for her proof. She told me that the mind is proof.

Personally, I am not entirely convinced of the argument, seeing that I didn't really push her for more. However, I would like to know what you guys think about it, like a possible refutation to her statement.

Thanks.

If there's a silver lining to this... It's that you have displayed an awesome aspect of skepticism. I usually say that the mind has an explanation already that has no need of a deity.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
20-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Personally, I don't see the connection.

To me, she is just saying that god is in her head. Fair enough. It's clear to me that everyone's god seems to have the same opinions that they do.

Does she also hear voices?

If so... proceed with caution.

Dodgy

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
20-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Isn't that a definition of a delusion?

...something you see in your mind that you believe is real but isn't?

Maybe I'm wrong. Been wrong before.

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
[+] 3 users Like thewellkeptwoman's post
20-01-2013, 06:48 AM
The mind is proof of a sufficiently complex, working neurological system utilising electro-chemical energy to stimulate the creation of neurotransmitter molecules which cause the release of hormones and to stimulate movement in the body via a nervous network, the system is also able to perceive patterns from external sources and interpret them.

In short: the mind is proof of a brain that holds it, there is no need to assume a deity is responsible for either occurrences.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 8 users Like Free Thought's post
20-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I think what she may have meant is the complexity of the mind/brain. Not your mind telling you god is real.

Of course, I may be giving her too much credit. Neither is proof of anything, of course (other than despite what an amazing thing the brain, most people prefer not to use it too much and keep it on the mantelpiece, as it were, like a decoration).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarder├▓."
20-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Thanks.

The simple answer is that the conclusion does not follow from the facts. There is no logical argument there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks.

Sure, it's easy to refute with a simple question:

How?

And DEPENDING on the reply:

I don't want to build up a strawman but it sounds like it's probably either argument from personal incredulity (it's so amazing and i don't understand it, therefore it's so complex and amazing i can't believe anything other than god did it), or an argument from complexity (it's so complex god did it).

It's sort of a common thing that you'll hear people say the whole, "Well life is so amazing how can you not look around you and see god's beauty?"

Just because something appears complex, or looks amazing, or seems improbable doesn't mean that it necessarily is improbable.

Here's some fun logical fallacies you may encounter in your journey, regardless of beliefs or lack of belief.
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
20-01-2013, 09:05 AM
(20-01-2013 08:54 AM)Logisch Wrote:  

Thanks.
"Well life is so amazing how can you not look around you and see god's beauty?"
I get this all the time when my friends look at my nature photograph. Makes me want to scream.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
20-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks.
Now I'm just blunt, and I would say, what the kind of a lame proof is that. But don't listen to what I say. I have a bad case of foot in mouth disease. Rolleyes

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]