"The mind is proof of god's existence."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: "The mind is proof of god's existence."
(20-01-2013 09:05 AM)smidgen Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 08:54 AM)Logisch Wrote:  "Well life is so amazing how can you not look around you and see god's beauty?"
I get this all the time when my friends look at my nature photograph. Makes me want to scream.
My father has always spit out the personal incredulity argument since I was a little kid and even today now that I'm much older. Very much a "just because" kind of guy or that he can't "believe we came from something from under yer fingernail!" Frustrating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 09:51 AM
(20-01-2013 09:10 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 09:05 AM)smidgen Wrote:  I get this all the time when my friends look at my nature photograph. Makes me want to scream.
My father has always spit out the personal incredulity argument since I was a little kid and even today now that I'm much older. Very much a "just because" kind of guy or that he can't "believe we came from something from under yer fingernail!" Frustrating.
sure is

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
20-01-2013, 10:42 AM
My usual refutation of "look around you at god's beauty" is "So the horror around you is attributable to god too?"

Genocide, ticks, cancer, starvation, pedophile priests, innocent suffering of humans esp children, suffering in the animal kingdom, mass extinctions, orphans, viruses, tapeworms, mosquitoes, filarial worms, rapists and US politicians just to name a few.
[+] 5 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
20-01-2013, 10:45 AM
It sounds like just another asinine complexity argument: aka, the brain is complex and self aware so a God must have made it.
This is a tired, old, and boring argument. You can find any one of ten thousand articles refuting this, or youtube videos
made by science organizations.

Just because she is ignorant of how biological processes produce her brain doesn't mean a magical man made it.
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
20-01-2013, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 10:57 AM by Logisch.)
(20-01-2013 10:42 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  My usual refutation of "look around you at god's beauty" is "So the horror around you is attributable to god too?"

Genocide, ticks, cancer, starvation, pedophile priests, innocent suffering of humans esp children, suffering in the animal kingdom, mass extinctions, orphans, viruses, tapeworms, mosquitoes, filarial worms, rapists and US politicians just to name a few.
In all fairness... evil could be the side effects of an evil god, or spiteful god. What if the god proposed was just a giant asshole who enjoyed watching things suffer sort of like a kid with a magnifying glass and an anthill? If we're going for looking for attributes around us for a deity. One could easily say "I see the beauty" perhaps as easily as one could see "I can see the workings of spite" or "the works of evil" (I think that the WBC might even embrace that sort of god) - But that as well would also be personal incredulity or argument from ignorance since you're claiming things to have attributes of a deity simply because you don't understand them.

For instance... cognitive function, psychology and emotional state of a community may be a very difficult and complex thing to understand. But someone who understands none of the 3 or just wants to toss their hands up instead of asking why people do bad things could easily say that satan did it. It's a lot easier to explain that way.

Thumbsup

I prefer to take the least amount of assumptions.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
20-01-2013, 01:34 PM
(20-01-2013 06:48 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  The mind is proof of a sufficiently complex, working neurological system utilising electro-chemical energy to stimulate the creation of neurotransmitter molecules which cause the release of hormones and to stimulate movement in the body via a nervous network, the system is also able to perceive patterns from external sources and interpret them.

In short: the mind is proof of a brain that holds it, there is no need to assume a deity is responsible for either occurrences.
^ What he said

Also ask her if the mind is proof that all the other gods she doesn't believe in exist (Odin, Zeus, Hundreds of others) ?
Is the mind proof that my god slew her god billions of years ago ?
Is the mind proof that unicorns exist ?

Ask her if the person in my dream last night that I have never met is real or did my mind create that person in much the same way that our minds create gods ?

Finding a piece of copper wire in the desert isn't proof of an internet.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-01-2013, 01:42 PM
(20-01-2013 10:45 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  It sounds like just another asinine complexity argument: aka, the brain is complex and self aware so a God must have made it.
This is a tired, old, and boring argument. You can find any one of ten thousand articles refuting this, or youtube videos

Just because she is ignorant of how biological processes produce her brain doesn't mean a magical man made it.
I like this. Her ignorance of biology is proof that a god exists.

"I am so ignorant that a god MUST exist."

Makes perfect sense

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
20-01-2013, 04:20 PM
(20-01-2013 01:42 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 10:45 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  It sounds like just another asinine complexity argument: aka, the brain is complex and self aware so a God must have made it.

I like this. Her ignorance of biology is proof that a god exists.

"I am so ignorant that a god MUST exist."

Makes perfect sense

You'll find that the ignorance of the believer is directly correlated to the amount of power that God has. Car started on the first key turn? God did it! Things in nature look purty? God did it! Things exist? God!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
20-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Wait, I thought the banana was proof of god's existence?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
22-01-2013, 12:06 AM
The argument refutes itself. If a mind cannot exist without a creator, then that creator cannot have a mind.
[+] 2 users Like FlyingPizzaMonster's post