The "miracle of the sun"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 09:01 PM
The "miracle of the sun"
Okay so the pope is coming to Portugal and everyone is going nuts with their beliefs.
Recently, I have had an issue with the popular "miracle of the sun" and people won't just shut up about it.
I am quite certain this was just a big fraud, the problem is, I am not able to convince people whenever that stuff comes up in a conversation.

The real obstacle is those 70K people that supposedly witnessed such miracle.
Skeptics will probably argue that at that time a natural phenomenom probably occured, while I, as a extreme skeptic myself (borderline nihilist "unfortunately") think that nothing happened at all and it was just their retinal afterimage + some kind of mass hysteria, they were being led to believe that something was going to happen after all right?
I mean, it's too much coincidence even for a natural phenomenom, so I'll suggest nothing happened.
Now, like I said, how do I discredit those 70k peeps to someone who bring up that crap?

If you're not familiar with this story:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

To my annoyance there will be a movie broadcasted on tv.
I'm also intrigued how people think that said miracle had any significance to anyone if we think about how useless it was.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Torment's post
11-05-2017, 09:08 PM
RE: The "miracle of the sun"
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Mass hysteria is not "evidence".

For one thing, if the Sun were to really zigzag in the skies, we'd experience cataclysmic earthquakes, and the phenomena would have been experienced over the entire world, not just with one crowd.

But people willing to believe this crap probably are not open to logic or reason to persuade them to reconsider their belief.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
11-05-2017, 09:21 PM
It means Jebus is coming (again). Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-05-2017, 09:34 PM
(11-05-2017 09:01 PM)Torment Wrote:  Now, like I said, how do I discredit those 70k peeps to someone who bring up that crap?
Are you able to do the math? How fast would the sun have to have moved for these effects to be visible from Earth?

Are we saying that god grabbed the sun and moved it about in order to give some awe to some people watching on earth.

Why is it that this has never happened again? Is it a special case?
11-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Collective hallucination.

And it still happens in the 21st century, believe it or not...

Thousands wait for Knock apparition

Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
12-05-2017, 12:47 AM
Do all christian denominations accept it as the miracle from divine??
If not.Why?
[+] 1 user Likes sea_tiger's post
12-05-2017, 01:47 AM
I found it interesting that the BBC coverage of the popes visit to Fatima doesn't even mention the sun 'miracle'!

Pope Francis on special trip to Portugal's Fatima shrine - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39885741

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
12-05-2017, 02:56 AM
I just say think of it logically:

If the sun moved about, or did whatever they say it did, every single person on the light side of earth would have seen it, not just one town, because that would be insane to say the least. And depending on how it moved, people on the other side of the earth might even see some sort of effect as well.

So it just doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. 95% of one side of the planet completely missed it, yet 5% did so it totally happened.

Nope.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
12-05-2017, 04:10 AM
Why does God communicate by such strange means? And how do these guys know that it was God that did it? Mass eyewitness testimony certainly certifies that a lot of people thought they saw something, but in the same way that mass eyewitness testimony at a football game tells you that the ref is biased, it doesn't really count for much, especially when the said eyewitnesses are partisan nutcases.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
12-05-2017, 04:48 AM
(11-05-2017 09:08 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Mass hysteria is not "evidence".

For one thing, if the Sun were to really zigzag in the skies, we'd experience cataclysmic earthquakes, and the phenomena would have been experienced over the entire world, not just with one crowd.

But people willing to believe this crap probably are not open to logic or reason to persuade them to reconsider their belief.

You are saying it as if the believers care about the laws of physics. They believe God defied those laws anyway. By their logic, that makes him even more awesome.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post