The misery and suffering caused by religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2014, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2014 09:38 PM by TheBear.)
The misery and suffering caused by religion
Religion lends itself to human beings putting themselves through mental, emotional and psychological suffering.

Some examples: (feel free to add more, please)

Demons don't exist, unless your religion teaches that they do. A Catholic woman OP'd on another forum the other day. She is truly and completely convinced that there is a demon in her house. I was thinking ~ Good grief! That poor woman. She's going through hell right now, all because of her religious beliefs. What made it more glaring was the fact that there were several other members, (mostly Catholic), who encouraged and shared their own stories about demon encounters. On a side note - the 'cure' was to do a bunch of steps - reciting things, holy water every room, pictures, face west, 50 push-ups, mass every day... You get the picture. And they're all so serious and sincere about it. Shocking

Homosexuality is another area where religion really fucks people up mentally, emotionally and psychologically.

These, and many more examples, show the destructive influence of religion. I'm going through great empathy and pity for them right now. I feel sorry for these people. I really do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
22-10-2014, 09:48 PM
RE: The misery and suffering caused by religion
Any family made up mostly of theists that has an atheist die. On top of the pain of losing a loved one, they have to deal with the completely untrue and yet still believed prospect that said loved one is burning in agony and will be forever.

All the charity time and money that's gone toward building churches and buying Bibles that could have been spent on food, clothing, and shelter.

Actually, wasn't there a relatively recent news story about Christians air dropping Bibles into North Korea, where having a Bible gets you the death penalty or something?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
23-10-2014, 04:21 AM
How bout all the psychological pain that comes simply from the guilt of "sin". Think of all the kids going through puberty trying desperately and failing naturally, to keep from having sex or masturbating because the buy-bull might say so. Oh and thinking that Jesus is watching them touch their naughty parts....creepy.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-10-2014, 06:59 AM
I was browsing some religious forum and and their was a lady who was worried about demons in her house. She was paralyzed in bed, could still look around and saw a dark figure and heard voices. Classic signs of sleep paralysis. Instead of offering advice to seek medical attention she was offered prayers and should bless each room with holy water. One member even said to remove any secular entertainment such as music, movies , books even religious books that were not of god, even if any of these items had sentimental value. Also it was suggested none of the saved would even receive demonic visits. It was encouraged that it was demons.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
23-10-2014, 07:41 AM
I suffer from sleep paralysis from time to time. A few months ago in an episode there appeared to be a demonic little girl figure in the corner of my room staring at me...it was my vacuum.

Once it passed I couldn't help but laugh.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-10-2014, 07:56 AM
(23-10-2014 04:21 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  How bout all the psychological pain that comes simply from the guilt of "sin". Think of all the kids going through puberty trying desperately and failing naturally, to keep from having sex or masturbating because the buy-bull might say so. Oh and thinking that Jesus is watching them touch their naughty parts....creepy.

Yep Yes couldn't agree more, hence my signature.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
23-10-2014, 10:02 AM
I know some of my atheist friends who have passed away due to making bad decisions but that was on them. When I became a atheist when I was young I truly felt free from all the other religions due to the fact that I am now able to see the world differently. I feel sorry for some of the religious followers who may not be able to feel this enlightening experience. Smile

Thank you atheism....for everything.
[+] 1 user Likes Paul Linfor's post
23-10-2014, 10:23 AM
I believe the mindset that gave us the Christian depredations of the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch burnings, etc. never went away, it morphed and went underground so as not to cause itself public shaming.

We see this with the large-scale tolerance of a culture of molestation in the Catholic church. We see it when a child gets brutally beaten or killed right after the child hears the words "spare the rod, spoil the child" from the bible. We see it when a person loses hope of ever being accepted in society because homosexuality, masturbation or any one of a hundred things that a religious society frowns upon.
We see it in every suicide brought about through this intolerance bred from religion.

I don't know what these costs to society are, but I'm willing to believe it is considerable.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-10-2014, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 12:06 PM by TN Skeptic.)
Misery and suffering still remain to some extent for many people even after leaving religion. I am going on three years since I walked away from my christian upbringing. I spent 27 years fearing eternal damnation in hell if I didn't live my life according to my family's interpretation of the bible. Although they are few and far between, I still suffer brief panics of hell occasionally.
[+] 1 user Likes TN Skeptic's post
26-10-2014, 09:17 PM
(23-10-2014 12:00 PM)TN Skeptic Wrote:  Misery and suffering still remain to some extent for many people even after leaving religion. I am going on three years since I walked away from my christian upbringing. I spent 27 years fearing eternal damnation in hell if I didn't live my life according to my family's interpretation of the bible. Although they are few and far between, I still suffer brief panics of hell occasionally.

I know what you mean. It took time to rid myself of all that baggage.

Btw, welcome to TTA! Thumbsup