The misery and suffering caused by religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: The misery and suffering caused by religion
If the catholic church spent 1/6th of its income on food and water ( after everyone gets paid ), it could cure world hunger forever if it spend that much each year.

But they don't. Know why? Because without the starving, sick or poor, they would have no one to prey on.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
26-10-2014, 09:36 PM
(26-10-2014 09:20 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  If the catholic church spent 1/6th of its income on food and water ( after everyone gets paid ), it could cure world hunger forever if it spend that much each year.

But they don't. Know why? Because without the starving, sick or poor, they would have no one to prey on.

Or pray on

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
27-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Christianity undermines international relations, promotes prejudices, stonewalls science, wastes resources and compromises psychological health.

Children are still singing hymns, prattling off prayers and having their heads filled with tales about sin, Satan, Jesus, angels and creationism, in school! Right now, there are little ones lying in bed trembling at the idea that the devil wants to drag them to hell.

Communities lorded over by the Vatican, or other businessmen, are milking the market. Every week, millions of hours are wasted in churches praising a god that doesn’t exist.

Wars inflamed by religion are still being waged, homosexuals hounded, women denied the same opportunities as men, and there is still resistance to science and rational thought.

Christians are turning to prayer rather than each other, and feel guilt about their own sexuality and other imaginary sins.

The Vatican condemns condoms, but Catholic priests don’t change diapers, nurse people slowly dying from Aids, or pay for their expensive medicines. All of this is a travesty against humanity!

I think too many people believe Christianity is a benign belief that does no harm, that some people need it as a “crutch” to help them in difficult times, whereas Christianity is often the cause of the problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
27-10-2014, 06:42 PM
(26-10-2014 09:20 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  If the catholic church spent 1/6th of its income on food and water ( after everyone gets paid ), it could cure world hunger forever if it spend that much each year.

I agree.

The millions and perhaps billions of dollars they spend on their lavish estates, wardrobe, jewelry, etc., would be a lot better spent on feeding and clothing the poor. Here's a question for any Catholics lurking. Isn't the latter something Jesus taught, and the former something he detested? I'm kinda curious as to what special pleadings, mental gymnastics, or cooked up formulas you use to justify it.
27-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Is there ever been an exact reason why religions do not have to pay taxes at the cost of the entire economy collapsing?
I am sure with the amount they rake in all the time, their money from taxes would stabilize-or at least help-just about anything.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
27-10-2014, 06:58 PM
(27-10-2014 06:55 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Is there ever been an exact reason why religions do not have to pay taxes at the cost of the entire economy collapsing?
I am sure with the amount they rake in all the time, their money from taxes would stabilize-or at least help-just about anything.

Ive asked that before of elected officials and the answer i got was that they do "good" work,

No seriously...
Thats the going answer.

Riiight?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
27-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I find it disgusting that as kids we were marched across the schoolyard to the Catholic Basilica every week for confession. This resulted in a bunch of really young kids making up sins on the way over so we had something to tell the priest. Some of us had such skewed ideas about what to confess - simply parroting words we had heard. We were going to confession to lie to the priest, which was a sin in itself - so we were conflicted as to ending the confession with confessing that we had just lied to the priest.

I was pretty young when I realized it was just empty rituals and really didn't mean anything. Especially since our penance was always the same...say five Hail Marys, five Our Fathers, and The Act of Contrition. Seems that was the fix for everything when you were eleven. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-10-2014, 07:07 PM
(27-10-2014 02:13 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Christianity undermines international relations, promotes prejudices, stonewalls science, wastes resources and compromises psychological health.

Children are still singing hymns, prattling off prayers and having their heads filled with tales about sin, Satan, Jesus, angels and creationism, in school! Right now, there are little ones lying in bed trembling at the idea that the devil wants to drag them to hell.

Communities lorded over by the Vatican, or other businessmen, are milking the market. Every week, millions of hours are wasted in churches praising a god that doesn’t exist.

Wars inflamed by religion are still being waged, homosexuals hounded, women denied the same opportunities as men, and there is still resistance to science and rational thought.

Christians are turning to prayer rather than each other, and feel guilt about their own sexuality and other imaginary sins.

The Vatican condemns condoms, but Catholic priests don’t change diapers, nurse people slowly dying from Aids, or pay for their expensive medicines. All of this is a travesty against humanity!

I think too many people believe Christianity is a benign belief that does no harm, that some people need it as a “crutch” to help them in difficult times, whereas Christianity is often the cause of the problem.

[Image: Standing-ovation-o.gif]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
02-11-2014, 12:24 PM
(22-10-2014 09:32 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Religion lends itself to human beings putting themselves through mental, emotional and psychological suffering.

Some examples: (feel free to add more, please)

Demons don't exist, unless your religion teaches that they do. A Catholic woman OP'd on another forum the other day. She is truly and completely convinced that there is a demon in her house. I was thinking ~ Good grief! That poor woman. She's going through hell right now, all because of her religious beliefs. What made it more glaring was the fact that there were several other members, (mostly Catholic), who encouraged and shared their own stories about demon encounters. On a side note - the 'cure' was to do a bunch of steps - reciting things, holy water every room, pictures, face west, 50 push-ups, mass every day... You get the picture. And they're all so serious and sincere about it. Shocking

Homosexuality is another area where religion really fucks people up mentally, emotionally and psychologically.

These, and many more examples, show the destructive influence of religion. I'm going through great empathy and pity for them right now. I feel sorry for these people. I really do.

An appeal to emotion with no argument? Religion does cause suffering, because it's true.

Truth seeker.
02-11-2014, 01:43 PM

I think it's the Mother Teresa Syndrome, one must suffer for christ.

A mother Teresa quote. “There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,”

Huge amounts of donated medical supplies were left unopened so people could suffer.

What a horrid person she was.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post