The misery and suffering caused by religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: The misery and suffering caused by religion
Christians themselves are the most detrimental thing to Christianity than anything I know..IMO. Ive suffered thru friendships and relationships believing it was what god wanted of me, was what I should do as a 'christian' the 'right' thing to do and I would be blessed for it....etc. All in the end, to be worse off than before and hurt.

Christians are the most judgemental, hyprocritical and condeming people Ive known. All under the guise of 'theyve repented' and are unaccountable for their actions/words....

Bet your arse I dont suffer for religion anymore

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WhatWasIThinking's post
02-11-2014, 03:26 PM
(02-11-2014 12:24 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  An appeal to emotion with no argument? Religion does cause suffering, because it's true.
Religion causes emotional distress because it appeals to emotions. True submission to a god is emotional, true fear in hell is emotional, true hope for an ideal afterlife is emotional, and I could go on.

Emotionally shaping kids in their early years is a fucking disgrace. At an age where you discover the world, yourself and how to interact with others, you get fed with fears that aren't yours, with concepts (as sin) that are far beyond comprehension, with "facts" that you are not allowed to question, or, when you question them, that are responded to by a standard answer taken from a book that fails any test of experimental validity.

Religions have decided that heritage overrules sensible experience and inquiry. Kids have to be taught at a young age, when they are still malleable, emotionnaly, psychologically and intellectually. As if experiment, reason and questionning could be the ennemies of truth.
[+] 1 user Likes corfou73's post
02-11-2014, 03:32 PM
(02-11-2014 01:43 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I think it's the Mother Teresa Syndrome, one must suffer for christ.

A mother Teresa quote. “There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,”

Huge amounts of donated medical supplies were left unopened so people could suffer.

What a horrid person she was.
I'm one of these kids that were compelled to consider her a model. What a shame...
02-11-2014, 03:42 PM
When you're a theist, you make excuses for the Bible, and all of its trappings. I grew up Catholic, and I made excuses for those trappings, too. Suffering and misery when one is a passionate Christian, is thought to be redemptive. One looks at suffering as being part and parcel with what Christ went through. It all morphs from a negative to a positive, despite it all being a lie. But, when you're a theist, you look at faith as not having to be logical, or sensible. So, suffering and misery, while to an atheist it might seem like a pathetic display of faith...to a theist, it can be quite meaningful, albeit detrimental. Religion requires one to lie to him/herself, even unintentionally.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post