The missing ingredient is ... probability

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 01:19 AM
RE: The missing ingredient is ... probability
I will admit I did not read all of this and most of what I did read was skimmed.

One of the most liberating things that ever occurred to me was thinking that the probability of my and all humanities existence was so remote as to be nearly impossible. With that thought I wondered at how it occurred and realized that it did not matter. We live in a world that we must protect. And, eventually that world will end. Who gives a fuck how we got here. Let us all have fun and do the best we can to protect our children and the earth's future.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 01:32 AM
I think that even considering the idea that religious faith might hinge upon mere probability is absolutely foreign to the devout, especially when considering how faith is obtained. They would never allow something they so desperately want to be reality, even loiter in the realm of merely the probable. That would be as good as saying it isn't true at all, since it isn't even founded upon anything tangible in the first place. I don't think the religious would even go there, if they can avoid it.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
27-02-2014, 01:47 AM
(27-02-2014 01:19 AM)JAH Wrote:  I will admit I did not read all of this and most of what I did read was skimmed.

One of the most liberating things that ever occurred to me was thinking that the probability of my and all humanities existence was so remote as to be nearly impossible. With that thought I wondered at how it occurred and realized that it did not matter. We live in a world that we must protect. And, eventually that world will end. Who gives a fuck how we got here. Let us all have fun and do the best we can to protect our children and the earth's future.

I give a fuck about how we got here. And I give a fuck about future of our children.
27-02-2014, 10:10 PM
(26-02-2014 03:15 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Summary:
Alpha: "I demand evidence of abiogenesis, otherwise my GodDidIt theory is true."
Thread: "Provides evidence"
Alpha: "I don't like this evidence."
Thread: "Provides more evidence"
Alpha: "This isn't peer reviewed."
Thread: "Gives peer reviewed citations"
Alpha: "I don't like this evidence. See? Your position has no evidence. Therefore, GodDidIt."
Thread: "Provide evidence to support GodDidIt"
Alpha: "I don't have any. I WIN THE DEBATE!"
Thread: "That's not how logic or debate works. Abiogenesis is still more probable than <God exists> and <God created life>. There's more evidence for abiogenesis than either of those.
Alpha: "You're just mad! I win! I win the debate! YAAY! GODDIDIT!"

[Image: 3y6apyge.jpg]

Posted to Words I Want To Remember Thread!Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop