The money myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 02:40 PM
The money myth
I stumbled on this article on Cracked.com and it really struck home (cracked can be very hit or miss).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-holly...or-people/

It struck a chord with me because the writer clearly gets what it is like when finances aren't going your way, but you still have to figure out how to keep going all the while listening to people tell you that you (and your entire generation) are just entitled and lazy.

I still cringe every time an odd sound emanates from my car, because I know all too well that it could be the last bit of money in our bank account to fix or that I will have to ask my mother to help us with repairs.

But this trope, as the writer points out, is a pretty stereotypical view of how finances work for the struggling and low income families and individuals. Why do conservatives keep saying that the poor just need to stop being so entitled and lazy and get a better job or an education? Because they truly believe it is as easy saying it. The real world evades them.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
23-02-2016, 04:14 PM
RE: The money myth
Number 2 has been a pet peeve of mine for ages. This always bothers me that characters in shows/movies just conventionally have the cash to go on expensive trips whenever they feel like it the following/same day, not to mention seem to instantly get time off work.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-02-2016, 08:38 AM
(23-02-2016 02:40 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  BWhy do conservatives keep saying that the poor just need to stop being so entitled and lazy and get a better job or an education? Because they truly believe it is as easy saying it. The real world evades them.

Because of the just world hypothesis. Their world view is a lot easier to swallow if they believe that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. It makes their god look like less of a jerk and gives them the ability to smugly judge people who aren't doing as well as them.

It's really as simple as that. Well, that, and repetition in the conservative echo chamber.
[+] 11 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-02-2016, 12:03 PM
This is so annoying. My wife and I are struggling to get by, and people keep telling us that it will get better.
26-02-2016, 12:35 PM
We were the definition of poor when I was a kid, displaced immigrants in a country where we didn't speak the language. Trailer park living with credit cards maxed to the hilt, living paycheck to paycheck with 6 hungry mouths to feed.

No longer there but the experience still colors everything I do and how I look at the world.

Today I'm the one providing low-income, clean, crime-free housing to families.

Life is funny that way I guess.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2016, 06:55 PM
(26-02-2016 12:03 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  This is so annoying. My wife and I are struggling to get by, and people keep telling us that it will get better.

Rising inflation and living costs while wages stagnate say otherwise.

26-02-2016, 07:39 PM
(26-02-2016 06:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-02-2016 12:03 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  This is so annoying. My wife and I are struggling to get by, and people keep telling us that it will get better.

Rising inflation and living costs while wages stagnate say otherwise.

That's exactly what I tell my family, but they tell me to pray more, and to trust God.
I think not.
26-02-2016, 09:06 PM
(26-02-2016 07:39 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  
(26-02-2016 06:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Rising inflation and living costs while wages stagnate say otherwise.

That's exactly what I tell my family, but they tell me to pray more, and to trust God.
I think not.

If pray paid the bills why does everyone bother to go to work?
Next time your family say that tell them to send a pray on a piece of paper to the power company instead of a check and see how long their lights stay on.

26-02-2016, 09:47 PM
(26-02-2016 09:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-02-2016 07:39 PM)DavidCG Wrote:  That's exactly what I tell my family, but they tell me to pray more, and to trust God.
I think not.

If pray paid the bills why does everyone bother to go to work?
Next time your family say that tell them to send a pray on a piece of paper to the power company instead of a check and see how long their lights stay on.

Haha!
Yeah, God needs me to give money to the church, but can't share the wealth? And why does the architect of the universe need help with his finances?
[+] 1 user Likes DavidCG's post
28-02-2016, 04:01 PM
At least The Honeymooners set looked like crap.... I wish I earned a union busdriver's salary and benefits...instead, the $10/hr I get from driving a bus for Brookdale is laughable....it's a good thing I don't need it to live, or I'd be hurting.

I like David Wong's take on things.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)