The morals of used cars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2018, 10:53 AM
The morals of used cars
Used car salesmen have the reputation of having all the morals of a drunken sailor who just won the lottery.

So - when YOU sell a car - do you set a higher standard?

For instance - legally you should devulge any KNOWN problems - such as previous accidents. You should also divulge any known problems that affect the safety of the operation of the vehicle - say the brakes don't work.

But what about stuff that is more annoyance, than problem? Say the cigarette lighter is flakey - or the key doesn't unlock the passenger's door. Are you legally or morally bound to tell the buyer?

Or -- what about suspicions? What if you suspect a problem - but don't know? Like it ran rough two weeks ago - but has been fine since? Maybe it was just some water in the fuel - maybe it' s about to throw a rod. You don't know. Should you say something?

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2018, 12:00 PM
RE: The morals of used cars
(12-09-2018 10:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Used car salesmen have the reputation of having all the morals of a drunken sailor who just won the lottery.

So - when YOU sell a car - do you set a higher standard?

For instance - legally you should devulge any KNOWN problems - such as previous accidents. You should also divulge any known problems that affect the safety of the operation of the vehicle - say the brakes don't work.

But what about stuff that is more annoyance, than problem? Say the cigarette lighter is flakey - or the key doesn't unlock the passenger's door. Are you legally or morally bound to tell the buyer?

Or -- what about suspicions? What if you suspect a problem - but don't know? Like it ran rough two weeks ago - but has been fine since? Maybe it was just some water in the fuel - maybe it' s about to throw a rod. You don't know. Should you say something?

Yes. You should be absolutely honest. I only sold a used car once in my life. It was a 1979 VW Rabbit with about 180,000 miles on it. I sold it in the late 1980s (1987 or 1988) for $100, and I was perfectly honest about its condition. It still ran pretty well, but it was a rustbucket. The driver's side door was only attached by one hinge, so you had to lift it while opening and closing it. And the gas tank had a hole in it, so it leaked if you filled it all the way (it was OK when half full). I think it was worth more than $100, but I just wanted to get rid of it. My neighbors were complaining about me parking two cars on the property, so I decided to get rid of that one (my other car was a brand new 1987 Ford Mustang GT). I had already tried the junkyard, but they wouldn't give me anything for it -- they wanted me to pay them to take it.

So I put an ad in the paper and sold it within a week or two. I was absolutely honest about everything, but it's hard to pass up a $100 car that still runs.
12-09-2018, 12:56 PM
I got rid of 3 - two I gave away to folks who wanted to fix them, one I traded for some major electrical work. The two I gave away I disclosed all I knew, and the electrician didn't care - he wanted my 68 caddie badly for parts, he was restoring another. He looked it over and drove it before making the deal. We each thought it was a good deal, before and after he did the work.

I have another I was going to give away, but decided to use it to store bags of feed instead. Works great for that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-09-2018, 01:14 PM
I disclose all I know. Looking to sell my old Ranger right now.

You can batten down my hatches if it
gets you through the night.
12-09-2018, 02:01 PM
It's been a really long time since I have sold a car, but I have always disclosed all that I know. The last time that I sold a car, I looked up its private party blue book value and then discounted very fairly for everything that I knew detracted from that value. I posted it on Craigslist with all of that information. I stood firm on my price, and received it within a week.

My belief that people are basically good is sometimes crushed by the reality that people are basically bad
12-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Back in the 1980's I was trading in a Chevy pickup truck which I was getting rid of because it began to overheat, regardless of how many times I changed the coolant and replaced the thermostat. The dealer offered me $1,400 for it. A fellow at work said he'd give me $1,600. I told him the truck was a piece of shit and exactly why, but he insisted that he wanted it. Somehow, after putting about $500 and a lot of mechanical work into it, he had it looking and running like a new vehicle. I was quite amazed! Gasp
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
12-09-2018, 05:20 PM
(12-09-2018 05:02 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Back in the 1980's I was trading in a Chevy pickup truck which I was getting rid of because it began to overheat, regardless of how many times I changed the coolant and replaced the thermostat. The dealer offered me $1,400 for it. A fellow at work said he'd give me $1,600. I told him the truck was a piece of shit and exactly why, but he insisted that he wanted it. Somehow, after putting about $500 and a lot of mechanical work into it, he had it looking and running like a new vehicle. I was quite amazed! Gasp

You have to know when to bite the bullet and replace the main dohickey. It's worth it in the long run. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2018, 08:24 PM
I tend to use cars almost completely up, so disclosing is not much of an issue. They still have brakes and tires and always get sold for hundreds not thousands.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
12-09-2018, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 08:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't deal in them. I buy them new. Drive them into the ground. Donate them to charity and take the KBB value as a tax deduction. And since the dealer I use don't negotiate, (he shows me what he paid, his incentives and costs, my rebates and incentives, and his markup from which he has to take out all of his operating costs and leaves it up to me to decide if it's fair without ever even asking, 4 cars so far and it's always been fair without any objections whatsoever from me; honesty is always your best policy if you're looking for repeat business and a loyal customer base, and to just to not be a dick and scar your own worthless piece of shit character obviously), I haven't had to make any kind of car deal other than a stipulatory formality in decades. Smile

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-09-2018, 08:52 PM
It's a well known fact.
More immorality has been committed in used cars than new cars.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post