The more people suffer the more they believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
RE: The more people suffer the more they believe
(02-03-2014 03:31 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would say that people pray for whatever they can get, sometimes that is the ability to allow them to accept whatever happens as god's will.

So basically something good happens "Praise the lord!" something bad happens "I deserve it"
Sounds a lot like sadomasochism and slavery Big Grin
I don't think they're focused so much on "I deserve it". They view god as responsible for everything. Therefore, the only way for things to improve in their minds is to do right by god so hopefully god will see fit to make their lives better. And, if not here, there's always heaven.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
(02-03-2014 03:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When you are dirty, hungry, sick and have zero outlook for a better life ahead of you....I guess delusion is the life ring to a better tomorrow...after you die of course...allegedly. Confused

So it's all about afterlife? Cause I think it's strange to believe in almighty who watches you die from hunger.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
(02-03-2014 03:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When you are dirty, hungry, sick and have zero outlook for a better life ahead of you....I guess delusion is the life ring to a better tomorrow...after you die of course...allegedly. Confused

So it's all about afterlife? Cause I think it's strange to believe in almighty who watches you die from hunger.

Yeah, but a lot of people do believe it. And think that everyone should.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-03-2014, 03:51 PM
(02-03-2014 03:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So it's all about afterlife? Cause I think it's strange to believe in almighty who watches you die from hunger.

Yeah, but a lot of people do believe it. And think that everyone should.

And I wonder why Big Grin
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
(02-03-2014 03:51 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, but a lot of people do believe it. And think that everyone should.

And I wonder why Big Grin

Cause they don't want to be wrong.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
02-03-2014, 03:55 PM
(02-03-2014 03:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 03:51 PM)donotwant Wrote:  And I wonder why Big Grin

Cause they don't want to be wrong.

Yeah but I wonder what is the profit. Because dying from hunger by random chance = well I got unlucky. Sucks for me.
Dying from hunger with god = This is part of a plan of omnipotent deity and he is watching me die? WTF.

Why would anyone wants this to be true?
Cause if there is no heaven then god is useless.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
(02-03-2014 03:55 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Cause if there is no heaven then god is useless.

Exactly. Curiosity is the nemesis of nihilism. The human brain seeks answers, the universe provides none, the human brain invents them. Desire outweighs necessity.

Rinse, repeat.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Marx said it best:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
02-03-2014, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 04:42 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(02-03-2014 03:49 PM)donotwant Wrote:  

I find a lot of beliefs strange...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
(02-03-2014 04:13 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Marx said it best:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

So does it mean humanity is sadomasochistic by nature? They enjoy being oppressed and the more they suffer the more they love the authority.