The more people suffer the more they believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: The more people suffer the more they believe
(02-03-2014 04:32 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 04:13 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Marx said it best:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

So does it mean humanity is sadomasochistic by nature? They enjoy being oppressed and the more they suffer the more they love the authority.

I don't think so. Suffering and oppression are a given, religion is the justification.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2014, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 04:50 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(02-03-2014 04:32 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 04:13 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Marx said it best:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

So does it mean humanity is sadomasochistic by nature? They enjoy being oppressed and the more they suffer the more they love the authority.

No, they don't enjoy being oppressed, they find consolation in that which comforts them amidst oppression.

Marx considered religion an illusory happiness that shackled man more firmly to the systems that oppressed him, but which man embraced because it was his only means of comfort. Hence why he described it as an opium.

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-03-2014, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 06:05 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(02-03-2014 03:25 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It's not news that most poor and fucked up countries in the world are also most religious ones. Why do people like believing in all powerful not giving a shit god when they live in shitholes? Doesn't that like tells something about the god?
Because the people who have happy could at least thank god for good stuff.
Seems strange to me.
Its easy because they are poor and uneducated so automatically they're 1000 times more gullible and susceptible to religious brainwashing.
(02-03-2014 04:32 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So does it mean humanity is sadomasochistic by nature? They enjoy being oppressed and the more they suffer the more they love the authority.
No humans are tribal animals so we are psychologically predisposed to being submissive to an authoritarian figure for ex: a teacher,parents etc and what can be a more greater authority than God?

You should watch this video to realize why God is such a fucking dictator figure with more craving for attention than miley cyrus.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I remember getting the Christian spiel on this when I was younger: when you're in need, you'll go to God for help, but when things are going well, you forget to thank him and rely on yourself.

I remember thinking on this when I was in college, the first time I can remember seriously questioning and doubting. My first defense mechanism was to assume my "problem" was being caused by my life being too good and me taking things for granted. I thought that if I had some more adversity in my life, I might have more faith. Of course, even at that stage, I was smart enough to not actively wish for my life to become objectively worse so that I might believe. Funny how that works.