The most dangerous superstition.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Ruh roh, your favorite tta member has a new book to read.

Remember how I have been asking why a brain can question some illogical beliefs while at the same one hold other illogical beliefs? There is a book about that called The Most Dangerous Superstition.

It examines the superstitious nature of the belief in government, and examines the historical ties to religion that government has in that until recently political leaders were considered deities.

He exposes the hardcore statist turn that so called atheists like hitchens (pro-Iraq war) and Sam Harris ( pro-torture) in that they are skeptical of this over here, yet remain illogically dogmatic when it comes to the state and its actions.

http://www.corbettreport.com/interview-7...f-statism/

I hope you don't think this thread is ba a a a a a a ad.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: The most dangerous superstition.
(22-07-2013 03:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  Ruh roh, your favorite tta member has a new book to read.

Remember how I have been asking why a brain can question some illogical beliefs while at the same one hold other illogical beliefs? There is a book about that called The Most Dangerous Superstition.

It examines the superstitious nature of the belief in government, and examines the historical ties to religion that government has in that until recently political leaders were considered deities.

He exposes the hardcore statist turn that so called atheists like hitchens (pro-Iraq war) and Sam Harris ( pro-torture) in that they are skeptical of this over here, yet remain illogically dogmatic when it comes to the state and its actions.

How is it that anti-statists can't discern the difference between a secular democratic republic from authoritarian states?

The concept of a social contract seems to elude them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-07-2013, 04:01 PM
You're an idiot.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
24-07-2013, 06:49 AM
(22-07-2013 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 03:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  Ruh roh, your favorite tta member has a new book to read.

How is it that anti-statists can't discern the difference between a secular democratic republic from authoritarian states?

How is it that you believe in some mystical woo woo state religion? Wait, certain people have power because there is this thing called the state, and some people in the state have powerless to make laws, powers that me and you don't have. How do humans gain such mystical woo woo powers?
24-07-2013, 07:17 AM
(24-07-2013 06:49 AM)I and I Wrote:  How is it that you believe in some mystical woo woo state religion? Wait, certain people have power because there is this thing called the state, and some people in the state have powerless to make laws, powers that me and you don't have. How do humans gain such mystical woo woo powers?

[Image: 23529636.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
24-07-2013, 07:40 AM
(24-07-2013 06:49 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  How is it that anti-statists can't discern the difference between a secular democratic republic from authoritarian states?

How is it that you believe in some mystical woo woo state religion? Wait, certain people have power because there is this thing called the state, and some people in the state have powerless to make laws, powers that me and you don't have. How do humans gain such mystical woo woo powers?

They get elected by the people, you dumb fuck. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I&I, you're an idiot.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
24-07-2013, 11:18 AM

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
24-07-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 02:25 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(24-07-2013 06:49 AM)I and I Wrote:  How do humans gain such mystical woo woo powers?

You yourself are capable of pursuing a career and become a member of either the executive, legislative, or judicial branches.

Granted there are very real issues of nepotism, and "money in politics" that prevent people from entering. But you also have opportunities to gather popular support and enact reforms and strengthen safeguards against corruption.

The "alternatives" to social contracts and governments are the same "woo woo" that you claim to be against.

I might be of the opinion that self sustaining anarchic utopia's are possible, but the prerequisites definitely have not been met.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
24-07-2013, 05:33 PM
The existence of states is a positive factor in people being good to each other:
http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_o...lence.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post