The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 09:58 AM
The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?
Recently, I was told that atheists should not be allowed to use or handle money. When I asked why I was told, "well, it says 'In God We Trust' on our money and they don't trust in God so they should not be allowed to use money."

This was told to me in an institution of higher education. Yes, really.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rev Dr. T Dwayne Killebrew III's post
25-08-2014, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2014 01:46 PM by DLJ.)
RE: The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?
I suspect this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.
[Yup. Moved]

Anyway, George Bush (the elder -- not "W") once said that atheists should not be allowed to be US citizens because this is "one nation under God".

Of course, this wasn't said directly to me, but it's along the same lines as your experience. I don't think I have ever had a comparable satement made directly to me.
25-08-2014, 05:18 PM
(25-08-2014 09:58 AM)Rev Dr. T Dwayne Killebrew III Wrote:  Recently, I was told that atheists should not be allowed to use or handle money. When I asked why I was told, "well, it says 'In God We Trust' on our money and they don't trust in God so they should not be allowed to use money."

This was told to me in an institution of higher education. Yes, really.

I haven't carried cash in years and nowhere on my American Express card does it say in God We Trust. In the fine print it does say "In Compound Interest We Trust." I interpret that to mean "In Usury We Trust."

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-08-2014, 05:23 PM
"Without Jesus there is no morality"

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
25-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Are you Harmon's son ? Baseball fans wanna know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-08-2014, 05:38 PM
God is Love.

...and when confronted with the "bad design" arguments......

God is tough love.

mmmm
Now you call being born with congenital deformities such as harlequins Ichtheosis tough love ?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=harleq...36&bih=710

Mummy passing ergot poisoning to her little baby when breast lovingly breast feeding tough love ? (ergot poisoning causes arms and legs to fall off from gangrene...nasty, brutish & short ! ....and for the survivors very long in extreme agony)

children dying of malaria every 45 seconds tough love....

..........and the list goes on.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
25-08-2014, 05:46 PM
When both of my daughters died from infantile tay-sachs disease 3 months apart at the ages of 15 months and 5 months.....and the good reverend said, "god needed his angels back, he brought them home so he could bring you closer to him".. Facepalm

Then when my wife at the time thereafter successfully committed suicide on her third attempt in 2 weeks the good reverend said, "she is at peace now, remember god doesn't give you more than you can handle, he must have great plans for you."

Facepalm

Yeah. F you.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-08-2014, 05:57 PM
(25-08-2014 05:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When both of my daughters died from infantile tay-sachs disease 3 months apart at the ages of 15 months and 5 months.....and the good reverend said, "god needed his angels back, he brought them home so he could bring you closer to him".. Facepalm

Then when my wife at the time thereafter successfully committed suicide on her third attempt in 2 weeks the good reverend said, "she is at peace now, remember god doesn't give you more than you can handle, he must have great plans for you."

Facepalm

Yeah. F you.

No words...just no words.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-08-2014, 06:01 PM
(25-08-2014 05:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When both of my daughters died from infantile tay-sachs disease 3 months apart at the ages of 15 months and 5 months.....and the good reverend said, "god needed his angels back, he brought them home so he could bring you closer to him".. Facepalm

Facepalm

Yeah. F you.

All I can say is I wish I was surprised. As a suicide survivor and depressive I know all to well the cringeworthy things that some religious folks can say when faced with things like this...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
25-08-2014, 06:12 PM
yup, and then began my journey towards the truth...my endless why phase began...I tried to validate what little was left of my faith and as the story goes...the more I learned, the less I believed...and now they have their worst nightmare, another atheist fluent in religion, thus you can't BS me with delusion.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 10 users Like goodwithoutgod's post