The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 07:20 AM
RE: The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?
At AF.org there was a Moslem usernamed nineteen who said (I paraphrase, her English was not good, I do belive she was Chechen) "theists are always smarter than atheists", and also said that atheism causes crime.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Arminian A - Hey Jeremy... I heard you're a Calvinist. Can you explain why you believe this way?

Me - No.

Arminian A - Why not?

Me - Because. I don't want to get into it.

Arminian B - Hey, how about we set up an email message where you can answer all of our questions about Calvinism.

Me - What? No.

Arminian A - Good call. I'll set it up and add you, Arminian C, and Arminian D to it as well.

Me - WTF?

They then proceed to berate me with questions and then I finally answer them in a non-aggressive way while citing scripture to support my claims and refute theirs.

I then get ostracized and labeled in my church which eventually leads to my departure to a Reformed Church. I then hear a lot of nasty things are being said about me by Arminians A-D from a third party.

A few months down the road, I heard Arminians A-D left the old church and started going to another Reformed Church where they magically had become Calvinists.

Bunch of effin sheep.

Sorry. I don't hold many fellow Christians in high regard because they are mostly terrible people.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
27-08-2014, 11:00 AM
(27-08-2014 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry. I don't hold many fellow Christians in high regard because they are mostly terrible people.

Don't worry, I don't think many of us hold them in high regard either... Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-08-2014, 05:12 PM
(27-08-2014 10:03 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry. I don't hold many fellow Christians in high regard because they are mostly terrible people.

They aren't Christians and they have no fucking clue what it means to be Christian.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-08-2014, 06:47 PM
How can you possibly live without god?

That is the most dumbfounded thing anyone has ever said to me. It was frightening as I had no idea how to answer it. It is basically asking how someone cannot live without drinking a certain flavor of drink or how someone cannot possible live without wearing the color yellow.

It is the most strange thing a theist as asked me before.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-08-2014, 06:50 PM
(27-08-2014 07:20 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  At AF.org there was a Moslem usernamed nineteen who said (I paraphrase, her English was not good, I do belive she was Chechen) "theists are always smarter than atheists", and also said that atheism causes crime.

Nineteen's been here too. Knew nothing of the Qur'an ... except that it was just such a great fucking book Dodgy whatevs.

Oh... Nineteen also said that "Islam is the future of the world." Complete dick. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-08-2014, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2014 04:49 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
So in my class tonight (Modern middle East) the instructor (first night of new semester by the way) was talking about israel etc, then he goes, I am going to make an assumption that evryone here is of faith right...he looks around the room as everyone dutifully nodded, he paused on a woman in the row in front of me who hadnt nodded and actually pointed at her..."ma'am? yes? no?" She quickly nodded her head and he moved on....for once, I was silent, because this is a favorite professor of my wife, sweet old man who has had quite an amazing life to be honest and I respect him enough, to give him the pass....then afterwards I was in an inner debate with myself, why didn't I do my usual, and assertively and respectfully say, "No I am an atheist" knowing I am surrounded by the delusional here at this christian university...but decided to default to being quiet.

He also opened with scripture regarding how the lord pointed to the sky and said your people will one day number as many as the stars or however the story goes, and I interjected there are 300 billion stars in this galaxy alone, there will never be 300 billion of them....he just looked at me over the glasses, and said he meant the number of stars they could see.....Facepalm I always enjoy how people just know what "god" meant.

So what do you think? pretty screwed up in my opinion, points a student out and puts her on the spot and question she if she has faith or not....sigh

EDIT: note that this isn't a theology class where that may be a question one could ask but I still feel it is inappropriate.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
28-08-2014, 10:02 AM
(26-08-2014 01:27 PM)photon9 Wrote:  If you were to mass murder 10 people God will forgive you as long as you believe in Jesus (or end up believing at some point in the future)

I actually use this statement against them..."If my neighbour kills 100s of people, steals from everyone he can, lies continually, sexually molests children, kicks babies and dogs but finds Jesus two seconds before he dies, he will go to heaven???? And my neighbour on the other side who is kind and gentle to everyone, is always willing to help others out, is generous to a fault, who has several times risked his own life to save someone in a very dangerous situation but never "found" Jesus. He's going to Hell???? What sort of farking god do you believe in?"
[+] 3 users Like jockmcdock's post
28-08-2014, 10:17 AM
(27-08-2014 07:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  he paused on a woman in the row in front of me who hadnt nodded and actually pointed at her..."ma'am? yes? no?" She quickly nodded her head and he moved on....for once, I was silent, because this is a favorite professor of my wife, sweet old man who has had quite an amazing life to be honest and I respect him enough, to give him the pass....

1. I don't consider him pointing her out a 'sweet' thing to do. At least not in this instance. She probably knew she was outnumbered by believers and didn't want to stand out.

2. Why does your wife like him? Just because he has an interesting tale from his life, doesn't make him a decent person.

3. I completely get not wanting to out yourself in every occasion, sometimes I just don't want the sideways look, sometimes I'm curious what others will say/do if they think everyone around them is a believer too. Etc.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-08-2014, 10:23 AM
(28-08-2014 10:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 07:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  he paused on a woman in the row in front of me who hadnt nodded and actually pointed at her..."ma'am? yes? no?" She quickly nodded her head and he moved on....for once, I was silent, because this is a favorite professor of my wife, sweet old man who has had quite an amazing life to be honest and I respect him enough, to give him the pass....

1. I don't consider him pointing her out a 'sweet' thing to do. At least not in this instance. She probably knew she was outnumbered by believers and didn't want to stand out.

2. Why does your wife like him? Just because he has an interesting tale from his life, doesn't make him a decent person.

3. I completely get not wanting to out yourself in every occasion, sometimes I just don't want the sideways look, sometimes I'm curious what others will say/do if they think everyone around them is a believer too. Etc.

1) Oh I agree, was really an uncomfortable moment for me...and her I would assume.

2) She had him for all of her criminal justice classes, he has a ton of interesting experience and his knowledge on the middle east is second to none, but he is old and a lifelong Christian teaching for a very long time at a Christian university, so I understand the ignorance on his part of assuming everyone must think like him Rolleyes

I intend to take him again as he is the best at his subject (criminal justice) and didn't think rocking the boat would be the makings of positive future instructor student relationships. Consider

3) It really bothered me, but I like my fellow students, we all tend to go from one class to another, and we all get along really good, lots of after class parking lot conversations about jobs, family etc....didn't want to be the one that shoved my boot into the spokes. I don't know however how much longer I can keep from biting my tongue off by trying to control my ......assertiveness of my beliefs, or non beliefs in the face of such stupidity.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)