The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?
(27-08-2014 07:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  [SNIP]

He also opened with scripture regarding how the lord pointed to the sky and said your people will one day number as many as the stars or however the story goes, and I interjected there are 300 billion stars in this galaxy alone, there will never be 300 billion of them....he just looked at me over the glasses, and said he meant the number of stars they could see.....Facepalm I always enjoy how people just know what "god" meant.

[SNIP]

I did a quick Google on how many how many stars are visible to the naked eye. Of course, it depends on location. clarity of the sky, observer's eyesight and probably a few other factors. But the values quoted are surprisingly small - a maximum of 10,000. Well, OK...

But let's suppose that number is hopelessly conservative. Let's say it should be five times greater, say 50,000. So, "your people will one day number as many as the stars" isn't actually very impressive, even if we allow for this generous inflation factor. 50,000 people isn't that many. For comparison, the capacity of the Roman Colosseum was also around 50,000. So, with the inflation factor, they would have filled the Colosseum. Big deal. If we take the more conservative estimate, there would have been a lot of empty seats.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2014, 10:49 AM
(28-08-2014 10:32 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

He also opened with scripture regarding how the lord pointed to the sky and said your people will one day number as many as the stars or however the story goes, and I interjected there are 300 billion stars in this galaxy alone, there will never be 300 billion of them....he just looked at me over the glasses, and said he meant the number of stars they could see.....Facepalm I always enjoy how people just know what "god" meant.

[SNIP]

I did a quick Google on how many how many stars are visible to the naked eye. Of course, it depends on location. clarity of the sky, observer's eyesight and probably a few other factors. But the values quoted are surprisingly small - a maximum of 10,000. Well, OK...

But let's suppose that number is hopelessly conservative. Let's say it should be five times greater, say 50,000. So, "your people will one day number as many as the stars" isn't actually very impressive, even if we allow for this generous inflation factor. 50,000 people isn't that many. For comparison, the capacity of the Roman Colosseum was also around 50,000. So, with the inflation factor, they would have filled the Colosseum. Big deal. If we take the more conservative estimate, there would have been a lot of empty seats.

I agree.

I try not to take the scriptures too literally until they do. Which for me is the whole slippery slope of faith. If you believe that scripture X was just a parable, or just a story told to articulate a point, then fine, I agree it was a story meant to make a point, but then when you point to scripture Y in the same book and say well that one is fact.....you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would think if the super genie took the uneducated goat herder outside and "pointed to the stars" and said one day your people will number as many as the stars..I would think said super genie world/universe/life creator would have been LITERALLY telling the truth, if not, then how are we lowly humans to decide which of the super genie's stories were factual, and which were fictional? Consider

My vote of course is they are also superstitious fabricated BS.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
30-08-2014, 02:52 AM
(28-08-2014 10:32 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

[SNIP]

But does that take into account that what may appear to be a single spec of light, a single 'star', may actually be another billion star strong galaxy? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-08-2014, 05:31 AM
At a university in Texas, one "religious studies" prof used to "teach" that Noah took dinosaur eggs onto the ark . . .
30-08-2014, 09:34 AM
One time I had a co-worker who saw I was reading god is not Great ask me how I could get my religion from a book. It was so stupid it took me several seconds to process that during which time the co-worker walked away.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-08-2014, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 10:47 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
I can't figure out which one tops the list.

I was raised a heathen, so I really didn't understand the extent of my Inlaws craziness and didn't know much about the differences between the Christians ( mostly Catholics) and really low key ones that I grew up knowing and my Inlaws the YEC'ers

-AiG Magazine subscription from MIL.
- dr Dobson Marriage Kit on DVD as a wedding gift
- trip to Arizona (cross country flights for 20 of us) to get us to watch the Truth Project DVD series at Thanksgiving. She was really pissed when I refused to watch or let my kids, and instead went to the Grand Canyon.
- a letter to my husband (before we were married) about how awful we are for living in sin.
- a glossy booklet about how I shouldn't let my kids read Harry Potter.
- when I found out some other whacked out magazine subscription she signed us up for rattled on me for canceling it.
- or when they wanted to move in with us
- or the recent email to my husband questioning if I'm a Christian and the massive guilt trip that involves.
- we were visiting one time and I knew they had loads of books on their shelves, I stopped one day to read the titles and that's when I realized an ENTIRE wall in their living room was Jesus books, and anti thought books. I was floored at the amount if books. They had one shelf on travel books, and they had travelled all over the world on multiple trips.

- another thanksgiving MIL was trying to tell my kids some shit about the native Americans being thankful for the white settlers for saving them. I burst out laughing, she got pissed.

Never a dull moment with them. Dodgy

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
30-08-2014, 10:53 AM
(30-08-2014 09:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  One time I had a co-worker who saw I was reading god is not Great ask me how I could get my religion from a book. It was so stupid it took me several seconds to process that during which time the co-worker walked away.

That.

That is a contender for a Darwin award...Shocking

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
30-08-2014, 03:02 PM
With the 3rd attempt at my doorstep - I finally let two JW come into my home. Sat them down over a pot of coffee. They really couldn't believe I DIDN'T believe and realized they had quite a job ahead of them (first get me to believe in god, THEN get me to believe in THEIR version of god).

We talked at length and then the subject of Satan came up. One of the women asked me if I wasn't worried about Satan in all this disbelief of mine.

I said Blink "um... I don't believe in Satan".

She asked "What? Shocking You don't believe in Satan EITHER?"
[+] 3 users Like jillSK's post
30-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Let's see...

Multiple times there's been the "someone is gonna whoop your ass."

There's been one or two "how dare you disrespect my faith. You better watch yourself, before someone sends you to the fiery pit." Followed by having my tires slashed or my car keyed.
30-08-2014, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 11:44 PM by Imago.)
Not sure this qualifies as "frightening," but the worst thing a Christian said to me...

I had posted in a Facebook group for survivors of child sexual abuse on the topic of how being abused influenced your spiritual beliefs or lack of them and a woman typed that I had been abused as a child because I turned away from God. (I had stopped believing in God when I was 8). I was astounded that another survivor would say such a thing. P.S. The moderator chided her in the thread and kicked her out of the group.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.